The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No need to run a separate app to confirm your voltages. Just look in the FIVR monitoring table. The voltages reported in that table are updated in real time. Same information that HWMonitor shows. Only difference is ThrottleStop is more efficient.

You can open ThrottleStop when it is hidden. Create a Windows shortcut to ThrottleStop.exe. Place this shortcut on your desktop if you need to use it frequently or place the shortcut in your start menu. Double clicking on the shortcut will open up the existing ThrottleStop.exe that is hidden, running in the background. ThrottleStop is smart enough not to open up a second instance of ThrottleStop if it is already running.

raz8020, Papusan, Griffin3567 and 2 others like this.
  2. Griffin3567

Griffin3567 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's fair enough, I just liked to have a second opinion. Once I stop faffing about with it, I shouldn't need to keep checking.

Aaaah OK that works. I need to remember to minimise when I'm done messing and not close. I think that's another reason I was using the service as I can close the interface with the x (tend to do that without thinking) and the service keeps it running in the bg.

3. unclewebb

Reputations:
    You do not have to remember anything. ThrottleStop already has a fix for this too. In the Options window check the Minimize on Close option. Now when you click on the X Close gadget, ThrottleStop will minimize instead of close. If there are no icons to minimize to and the Task Bar is not checked, ThrottleStop will minimize and become a background task again. No need to run TS as a service.

4. Griffin3567

Griffin3567 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Amazing. Thanks for the help

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question about TS 9.0. I run it on two laptops, my Gigabyte (in signature) and my wife's Lenovo Extreme 2nd edition. Undervolting works fine on both, and it minimizes normally to the taskbar. However, on either machine, if I have left it long enough for the screen to go off, when I restart it, clicking on the TS logo in the taskbar brings up blank frames, with no text. Restarting TS works fine. Neither machine has fast restart or hibernate enabled, and they do not sleep. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,

Joe

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If both of them are Optimus/hybrid graphics it may be another manifestation of the countless flaws associated with that technology. It may not be rendering the screen image correctly after the screen turns off and the graphics resume from a low-power "sleep" state. If they have switchable graphics, try setting the NVIDIA Control Panel Global profile to use the NVIDIA graphics only and disable the power management option (set to "never" or zero) for turning off the screen and see if the problem goes away permanently.

7. CitizenInsomniac

CitizenInsomniac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm curious: if my current stable coupled voltage offset is -125 mV, do these findings suggest that it'd be safe to double the core voltage offset to -250 mV (while keeping cache at -125 mV)? Or are these finding suggesting that core voltage offset should stay at the current stable value of -125, while cache offset should be set to -62 mV?

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Jdpurvis - I have never experienced that issue. Your problem seems like it might be a graphics driver issue. Are you using the same version on both laptops? Was this ever a problem when using TS 8.70 or any previous versions of ThrottleStop?

If the cache is stable at -125 mV, some people have seen improvements by holding the cache at that value and then increasing the core offset to -200 mV to -250mV. I have heard that a 2:1 ratio is some sort of magic number. Starting at -125 mV, bump the core -10 mV to -20 mV at a time and run another Cinebench R20 test and see if temperatures or your Cinebench scores improve. Keep doing this. Somewhere between -125 mV and -250 mV for the core, there will be no further improvement. If you lose stability right away, back the cache off to -100 mV and try again. Some people have the cache voltage running right on the edge of stability.

Some people keep on going and go as high as -1000 mV. Obviously at this point, you have gone too far. The CPU must be ignoring all or part of this request. It would crash if you really were reducing its voltage by -1V.

Papusan and CitizenInsomniac like this.
  9. Ahed

Ahed Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I did.

I followed your advice, the laptop feels lighter, though fans spin more frequently but I would not mind.

Kindly, review the two log files in the below links when you have the time:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PrqlECROZ9-MIWr9Pu_gYhbD4dUJQC5_/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o06DhzQyFYg4Lez-UJj5mRZDhJJ9KrHC/view?usp=sharing

10. CitizenInsomniac

CitizenInsomniac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I'll be damned... It works. I started the cache at -125 mV (my current value), doubled the core to -250 mV, ran OCCP power test and TS Bench at the same time, and sure enough both apps reported test errors. Started lowering both down in 5 mV increments and eventually landed at -210/-105 mV stability. Finally ran Cinebench and got a score about 60 points higher than usual.
    Honestly, I can't quite wrap my head around why this works - but it looks like it does work.

On a related topic: is there an app that can measure the cumulative power draw (of package or system) over a certain period of time? Something like, "Package 12:05:30 - 12:10:30 = 475W"?

tilleroftheearth likes this.