The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @maffle did you download it? Did you unzip it? Did you read the ReadMe.txt? :D

Papusan, Mr. Fox and maffle like this.
  2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All seems to work :) Was just a bit confused why it is now 3.5MB in size. Thanks for adding the package power to systray btw @unclewebb

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That is the portable version. It is more portable than ever. The extra code bloat is because this version is self contained. No need to go to Microsoft and download any additional files anymore. To be honest, I liked the previous method but there were too many complaints to deal with.

When it used to have error messages like the mfc120u.dll is missing, too many users had no idea what to do. I would include links to the Redistributables at Microsoft and I would include information in the ReadMe file but over and over again people would ask, "What do I do now?" Even worse in countries where English is not the native language. All the documentation in the world does not help if you cannot read it.

Easier to just roll the redistributables into one big bloated .exe file. The new and improved driver is also hidden away in the new .exe.

Edit - The good news is that when it is minimized to the system tray, it continues to take up very little memory and very few CPU cycles. Organize the tasks by CPU usage and ThrottleStop.exe will gradually sink towards the bottom of the list when it comes to CPU usage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    raz8020, steberg, intruder16 and 3 others like this.
  4. Kers

Kers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Thanks for the new 9.0 update. Got a few random questions.
    1. Is C1E still useful for newer CPU when SpeedShift is enabled? I checked Intel manual and the register is still listed for newer CPUs like Icelake.
    2.With 9.0 update, I didn't see the RwDrv.sys download link so it's included in TS now right?
    3. My default PL1 PL2 time is 45 56 28. If I increase them to a really large value, is there any way to find out the actual applied value beside running a benchmark?

5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Kers - C1E and Speed Shift are two different things. Intel still recommends that C1E should be enabled. Modern CPU cores go from the C0 working state to C7 so fast that a CPU will spend very little time in C1E. Having C1E enabled or not seems to make very little difference.

2) Read the ReadMe file.

3) There are 3 unique sets of turbo power limits. The ones in the ThrottleStop TPL window are only one set. Best to run a stress test and watch in Limit Reasons when your CPU starts to throttle and what power level it is at when this happens.

raz8020, Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  7. Kers

Kers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did read the readme file. It says replaced so I was kinda confused lol.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Instead of replaced, how about permanently retired? It was a very useful driver but ThrottleStop 9.0 has moved on.

Edit - The new driver and Disable and Lock feature seem to work even when Core Isolation - Memory integrity is turned on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    raz8020, steberg, intruder16 and 3 others like this.
  9. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Version 9.0 works like a champ!! Thanks so much for all your hard work. Not only does it work perfectly on my Gigabyte 6700HQ laptop, it also works perfectly on my wife's Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen 2, with its 12 core, 9750H processor. Both of these machines are running WIn 10 Pro 2004 (version 19041.329), and have had no problems with the Disable and lock feature. It has been particularly useful on my wife's computer - I am able to get enough undervolt to keep temps from running right at the margin, while keeping performance. It is also very nice to see what all of the cores are doing.

Thanks again!!

unclewebb and tilleroftheearth like this.
  10. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For cpu disabling c1e makes little difference but for gpu (I can speek only for Nvidia based laptop) makes some good improvement. For example disabling c1e give you from +100-150points (measured with gtx1050) in nvidia graphics score and even 200-300 with gtx1060.
    I remember that @Falkentyne said some time ago that even +400 with gtx1070