The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. These do not appear to be "new" CPUs. The Y series appear to be recycled cores that were not good enough to be U series cores. If a core is not 100% stable as a U series, easy enough for Intel to lower the CPU speed a little and cut the short term turbo power limit in half to improve its stability. Poof, now we have a low power Y series CPU. If I was shopping for a budget laptop, I would be more interested in finding a U series CPU that can perform like a 45 Watt H series CPU.

The target market for the Y series are netbooks or devices with generally poor cooling. Even if the power limits were left unlocked, it would not be practical to bump a Y series up to 50W. That would be about as much fun for users as trying to hold on to a 50W light bulb with their bare hands.

Papusan and t456 like this.
  2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At least up to the 8th gen, even an i7 Y is just a dual core, those are real crap tier dies where almost everything is disabled:
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8500y-processor-4m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

Thats an 8th gen die with only DDR3L, cut down iGPU, cut down cache, and only 2 cores, usually you coul find Y series cpu's on very cheap netbooks and ultra portables, or Win based tablets, but with a price of almost 400$ not sure where Intel even unloaded those 8th gen Y..

EDIT:
    Found where such things where unloaded:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-...ht-subnotebook-for-a-fat-wallet.442104.0.html

2k € for 250 CB R15 points..

Papusan likes this.
  3. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This TS version crashes when you are on AC power and then remove the power and it goes to battery, TS just closes with no error message.

4. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Must be something about the way you have it set up. Mine continues to work fine on battery when AC is removed - eve runs TS Bench, albeit with a lower maximum speed.
    Best, Joe

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Papusan and maffle like this.
  6. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am speaking for my friend (-: I will ask him / tell him, if he properly configured the scheduler. Youre right this might mostly be the reason, a bit weird though because it didnt happen before, just after changing from 8.74 to this beta. I think I also found out so far, why bd prochot is triggered for his laptop, or lets say, there is some weird issue with the Nvidia driver or chip itself on his laptop. I was not able so far to figure out, why this happening, but it seems his 1050ti doesnt go into sleep mode during modern standby, and this mostly causes the bd prochot eventually. Or it is the other way around.

[​IMG]

I cant imagine this be a hardware issue on the board, this entire 9570 is just a total mess. It was really hard to get the package power c states back working honestly, maybe it is all connected.

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop never randomly closes by itself. The Task Scheduler option, Stop if the computer switches to battery power, is the #1 reason why this happens.

In the Options window ThrottleStop does have one option that could cause this. The DC Exit Time option. If you checked that box and set it to 1, ThrottleStop would exit one second after switching to battery power. If the Task Scheduler is setup properly, maybe he accidentally clicked that box.

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A CPU that is not overvolted and kept within Intel electrical specifications is perfectly safe operating close to 100C for an extended period of time.
    The problem isn't the Intel CPU. It's the other cost cutting value line components around the CPU and PCB that might have problems with those temps, not the CPU itself.

9. wilsontulus5

wilsontulus5 Newbie

Reputations:
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I have no documentation from Intel and I do not own a Celeton N for testing purposes. That is why that feature is still disabled.

Falkentyne likes this.