The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I think the newer TS versions force you to manually turn things on and check things off. Too many complaints before about CPU settings being changed automatically by just starting ThrottleStop in monitoring mode. I was trying to help new ThrottleStop users get their CPUs running as Intel designed them to run. The newer versions definitely work so post some screen shots if you have any questions.

TS 5.00 beta 2 is out for some testing of the 8 multiplier for Ivy Bridge CPUs. If this works, I hope one of my testers will post a screen shot or two. :)

2. kireto5

kireto5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all. First sorry for my english. I have a stange problem. After i run throttlstop, hwmonitor and hwinfo64 doesn't run. I have the problem after deleting throttlestop. Laptop is Lenovo thinkpad edge 15 with intel core i3 370m.

3. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The VID jumps a bit but goes down to a min. of 0.831v.
    All multis work well under load. THX! :)
    Without load a 8 multi jumps between 8-12 a 12 multi between 12-14 etc...but I think that`s expected.

4. nunomoreira10

nunomoreira10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats amazing, I think you just discover a way to win a few more hours of battery life from a Ivy Bridge :D
    hope it's not just your chip..

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Thanks Prema for posting your results. Looks like the TS 4.10 Ivy Bridge bug has been transformed into a new feature for TS 5.00 beta 2. :)

The VID voltage hardly varies so I don't think there will be any difference in battery life but that's an interesting new feature all the same.

Some of the lower C States like C3 or C6 will cause the idle multi to jump around in ThrottleStop. You might be able to disable C6 in the bios for testing purposes. It might make the multi steadier but doing this will usually use a little more power at idle. If you disable C3 and C6, that usually kills the Turbo Boost function on the non-Extreme CPUs.

If anyone has a desktop Ivy Bridge CPU, send me a PM if you would like to do some testing for me. It will be interesting to see if the desktop Ivy Bridge CPUs can also access these low multis.

6. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    btw webb i got 5.00 to work...weird how awhile ago 4.0 didn't work lol. Thanks!

7. Az3lito

Az3lito Newbie

Reputations:
    Any tips on setting up ThrottleStop for i5-480M (Im using Acer Aspire 5742g)? I would like to use 2 profiles, one for gaming and second one for idle/cool down CPU.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Thanks unclewebb. Where to get beta 2?

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Az3lito: I am not familiar with the Acer Aspire 5742G. I know the Acer 3830TG has some throttling issues and some users are using multiple ThrottleStop profiles to control that. Your question might be better answered over there.

Post some screen shots and some log file data so I can better understand what problem you are having and what you would like to be able to do to handle the problem.

10. Az3lito

Az3lito Newbie

Reputations:
    As requested:

Used settings (+ CoolerMaster NotePal U3 / idle):

[​IMG]

Logs:

Idle - Zippyshare.com - idle.txt

BF3 30 min session - Zippyshare.com - bf3.txt

Performance is fairly steady but I think there is still some room for a lot of improvements.