The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's actually very good temps, try using a laptop cooler if you think it's too hot

2. Quanger

Quanger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Another thing is that my thinkpad uses 1 hsf with the 1 fan to cool the cpu, gpu and chipset.

3. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    unclewebb can you add a feature where you can set multipliers for profiles too. you can set TDC/TDP for profiles but you can't set individual settings for multipliers

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Laptop makers aren't allowed to release laptop that doesn't have a sufficient cooling system. They have to keep it below TJmax in order to get a license from Intel.

Except ACER, I don't know how they bypass Intel's standard. It's a horrible excuse for a laptop

5. SunnyChrono6

SunnyChrono6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Mobius1 : Completely agree with you about Acer.Had this TravelMate C120 with a core duo(1.6ghz),and would overheat and turn off at the desktop in windows xp in like 2-3 mins.Even for something simple like text editing,it needed to be underclocked to like 800mhz with a cooler underneath.Sent it in to acer around 3-4 times to no effect,and last time they said it was a design fault and nothing they could do about it.

6. rrskda

rrskda Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    unclewebb--sorry if this has been asked before, I'm having trouble using the forum's search function. Wondering if throttlestop can be used on my m11x r3 i5 to force the turbo to 2.3ghz, rather than the stock 2.0ghz, when gaming?

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    rrskda: You can not force a non-Extreme CPU to do something that Intel did not design it to do. The TRL button should show you what turbo multipliers your CPU supports depending on how many cores are active. Most laptop manufacturers are also locking the Turbo Power Limit register so that won't be adjustable unless you are using a modified bios.

Mobius 1: I agree that Acer is at the top of the list for selling laptops that have completely inadequate cooling solutions. Consumers do not hold manufacturers accountable so they get away with selling products that can not run both the CPU and GPU at their rated speed at the same time. The typical buyer checks out Facebook and sends and receives a few emails so even a crappy laptop is good enough for that.

Quanger: 85C is well within the Intel design spec for a Core 2 T9900. No worries.

Prema: Did the 8 multi really exist or was it just a bug because ThrottleStop 4.10 did not correctly support Ivy Bridge? Did CPU-Z ever show this 8 multi? When ThrottleStop 4.10 was writing the wrong values to the wrong Ivy registers, it might have confused some monitoring programs. I don't think it is possible. What is the multiplier range now when using ThrottleStop 5.00. The lowest is probably 12. I will send you a one off version of ThrottleStop for testing purposes with a wider range of multipliers if you can show me a CPU-Z screen shot that confirms the 8 multi really does exist.

You should be able to set different multipliers for different ThrottleStop profiles. If this is not working for you then make sure that you enabled EIST in the bios and in ThrottleStop. To have multipliers you can step through you definitely need to have EIST - SpeedStep enabled. Put a load on your CPU and show me a couple of screen shots if this is not working for you.

8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

9. nunomoreira10

nunomoreira10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No way, can you see if the vid is lower and if changing between multiplier 8 and 12 changes the idle power consumption.
    i know the multiplier 8 exists on the ulv ivi's and they probably locked all others processors to 12 to force people buying those ulvs for battery life..
    This could be awesome.

10. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    uncle web..nm i think it is becuase i have 3.0. I tried installign 4.0 before but it never worked for me. I'll try 5.0