The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. masmouta

masmouta Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey @unclewebb
    Just like you, I have a single GPU lenovo Y510P. I did some tinkering on the the cooling system which reduced the temps by around 20C.
    Now I'd like to unleash the 4700MQ for maximum gaming performance, without running into throttling issues of course.
    Would you mind sharing with us the exact settings you use on Throttlestop for this CPU?

2. Akern

Akern Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @unclewebb
    how to undervolt an old notebook with i5-2410M CPU?
    I would show you a screenshot of throttlestop but I am unable to upload images.

If i'm not wrong, with old CPUs, the undervolt is tied to "set multiplier" which now is not ticked and is set to 29T (what's the T means?o_O).
    However, In the main screen of throttlestop, i see a TRL button instead of FIVR button, there's 4 cores, temps are 54°C and Max 67°C, power 3.6W, C0% 2.3 and PROCHOT 94°C.
    in TPL window, PL1 is set to 35 and PL2 is set to 43, neither of them has a tick on "clamp" but "Lock" has a tick. Turbo time limit is set to 28.
    PP0 current limit is set to 97 and there's a tick on "Lock". Everything else is greyed out.

Edit: here's the screenshot
    01.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop allows you to overclock this CPU. Go into the FIVR window and check the Overclock box and set the turbo ratio limits to 36, 35, 34, 34. Any setting higher than that will be ignored. I use a Non Turbo Ratio setting of 1 and an under volt of only 40 mV on the core and cache. You can adjust these two independently on the 4th Gen CPUs. I use my laptop for programming so my voltage settings are conservative. Every CPU is unique so best to test your own 4700MQ.

My turbo power limits are locked by the BIOS to 47W, 58W and 28 seconds. The PP0 Current Limit is locked to 85 Amps. Many OEMs locked things down during this era. If you have good cooling but are experiencing power limit throttling problems, you can try using the PowerCut feature.

When your laptop is idle, set your VCCIN voltage to about 1.75 to 1.80 V in ThrottleStop. Push the Apply button and then check the PowerCut feature and push Apply again. You should see the Lock word appear in the FIVR monitoring table beside your fixed VCCIN voltage. This trick nukes proper power consumption reporting so you can load your CPU with Prime95 and it will barely complain until it overheats. Have fun playing with this wonderful option. :)

Easy question. You cannot undervolt Intel's 1st, 2nd or 3rd Gen mobile CPUs. The fully integrated voltage regulator (FIVR) was not a feature until the 4th Gen was released. The turbo power limits and the PP0 current limit are all locked by the BIOS so you cannot adjust those either. These 2 core CPUs are not overly power hungry. Even if you found a way to increase the power limits, there is likely no extra performance to be had.

4. Akern

Akern Newbie

Reputations:
    oh i understand...sad to hear it, thanks anyway

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

A new ThrottleStop feature is in the final testing stage. Real time PROCHOT Offset monitoring and adjustment for Core i 6th Gen and newer CPUs.

I recently learned that Lenovo has been quietly manipulating this value on their top of the line laptops. A laptop that can run at a maximum temperature of 80°C is a nice feature but it is killing performance without giving users any feedback about what is really going on.

Being able to force the PROCHOT offset variable to whatever you like is ready for testing. A PROCHOT Offset setting of 0 should allow the CPU to get up to 100°C. This is the Intel recommended thermal throttling temperature. A laptop should definitely not be thermal throttling at 80°C.

steberg, t456, Papusan and 6 others like this.
  6. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've finally managed to find a way to change the prochot on my lenovo Y740 via advanced bios menu... But my problem now is not the proc throttling because i change my thermal paste with Grizzly Conductonaut (LM) and now my proc very rarely to touch 80°C, but my VR VCC temp almost always reach 95-96°C, when using TPL 60W (PL1) and 90W (PL2). Its only safe when I use 45W (PL1) and 60W (PL2) value settings.

Is there any value or setting on throttlestop that can lower down my VR VCC temp?

pressing likes this.
  7. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Waiting to test this

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Krzyslaw - Check your messages. Welcome to TS beta testing. :)
    Have fun playing with this new feature.

I have noticed that some OEMs like Asus are using a lot of PROCHOT offset on their supposedly high performance laptops. I will do a write up in the near future about the voltage regulator temp throttling issues that some laptops are having. Reducing the PROCHOT temperature might have been the low budget way to fix a bad design.

Check the ThrottleStop log for any VR TEMP warnings if you have one of these under designed laptops.

raz8020, steberg, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  9. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can't wait to read :D
    I usually check using HWinfo.

10. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth likes this.