The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. djdelarosa25

djdelarosa25 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just an update: seems like +10 mV from the edge of my "stable" (as in not BSODing) undervolt wasn't enough as I still got one WHEA (Code 19) over the course of like 8 hours (an improvement versus the 8 WHEAs I got from my baseline undervolt). @bennyg was right in my case, +20 mV from baseline it is. So far so good :)

Also, this might be a stupid question but does the CPU wear over time in a sense that I have to decrease my UV?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure in what country you are, but if you search for 799736-F57 on ebay there are tons of dc-in jacks(with cable) starting at 2$:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=799736-F57&_sacat=0

And how to take it apart:

If not, all this part numbers are compatible:
    799736-F57 / 813945-001 / 814142-003 / PJ799 / 799736-S57

And the list of laptops that use the same cable is gigantic, check this web-site that lists all the compatible part numbers and laptop numbers:
    https://www.1bit.pt/pt/dc-power-jac...4-ac000-series-799736-f57-com-cabo-8-pin.html

EDIT:

Going by your name, I think you are in Brasil, if so, lots of offers on Mercado Livre:
    https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/799736-f57_OrderId_PRICE

The cheapest being 35 reais, thats no much more expensive than the average price of 5€ on eBay and its already on Brasil, so no need to deal with customs.

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Unfortunately for your CPU model, I do not have any documentation that shows where BD PROCHOT is located or even if this function exists. Without documentation from Intel or hardware for testing purposes, I decided not to add this feature to ThrottleStop for your CPU family. That is why BD PROCHOT is greyed out.

If you want to try and help me with development, run my RegReport program.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDVTZ6WXhDUVlrUFU

Unzip this file, run the Report.exe program and press the Report button. This will create a file called Report.txt which will contain the values of all of the important registers it finds in your CPU. Either send me that report in a private message or attach it to your next post. You can have a look at the file it creates. No worries. This file does not contain any personal information like your bank card and PIN number.

That is actually a really good question. I have found that it is not unusual for a CPU to wear in a little over time. An undervolt that is 100% stable when a CPU is brand new, might not be 100% stable 6 months later. After that, if you are not pounding on your CPU too hard with excessive voltage, then they tend to stabilize for a long period of time. That is one of the reasons why I do not recommend spending night and day trying to find out the bare minimum amount of voltage that you can get away with. An extra 10 mV of voltage is always better than 10 mV not enough.

Day to day changes in room temperature can also play a part in stability. I do not have AC so the room temperature where I live can vary +/- 15°C between summer and winter. In my overclocking days, I can always remember having to back off my overclock a little in the heat of summer. Intel's Core i technology seems more stable when running at high temps compared to their previous Core 2 technology.

4. yahyoh

yahyoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i noticed after deleting mcupdate_GenuineIntel my UV stopped applying even after reboot, resotoring the file to system32 as mcupdate_GenuineIntel_backup and it started to work again after reboot.
    It seems theres some other service or applection by windows blocking the UV, as its only applying through a reboot which means its applying before that system service is running? or im i wrong?

edit: no im not crazy, it does not seems bios blocking it, it seem some service, as applying uving on TS then just loging out and loging back to windows in will let the UV apply.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2020
    JRE84 likes this.
  5. wilsontulus5

wilsontulus5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Unclewebb,
    Here's my RegReport for Celeron N3050 with 6 report attempts (because it reports different registers per attempt)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MMj1vuqkvXmN-AdY3XuUnf_dnwyTy3q1
    I actually can replace laptop parts other than the hinges and the display... but here's the reason why I can't replace the ports
    I'm sorry to say this - but I live in Indonesia - and the price for just a power port can be like $4 (Rp 65000), also for some reason the available sparepart store that had the compatible port are closed because of the Coronavirus. Can you please update the Throttlestop soon? I have a desktop that is a lot faster for my work - but the monitor can't be turned on anymore because the motherboard and the power supply adapter was blew up for reasons, but the desktop is still working. (replacing the motherboard is very expensive too), I can use TV but my mom just watched too much indian shows that she even forbade me to use the TV.
    I actually replaced my laptop power adaptor that costs like Rp260000 ($16 - and it caused my savings to almost broke), but it didn't work, that's why i discovered this program since I hate overclocking because it destroys processors. (don't quote my opinion - there's another personal reasons)
    I'm still 15 - so I can't do anything other than waiting for school days just to collect Rp 15000 (close to $1) pocket money per day because of the Coronavirus? If you add support for the CPUs - you're saving so much people out there that they can't even afford a power jack replacements and batteries for lots of months.
    Thanks.

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @wilsontulus5 - Thanks for the reports. Your Celeron N3050 does not use the same power control register that the Core i CPUs use. Your CPU is very different compared to Core i CPUs. I cannot make any changes to ThrottleStop to help you with your problem.

Why not post some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup? Did you adjust the turbo power limits higher? That might help you with your slow CPU problem.

7. wilsontulus5

wilsontulus5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Unclewebb,
    Here's my Throttlestop screenshot, also with the INI inside..
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uzPZMTDfmVMUk0vYyFOaNAZzOy0CsJ7U
    I hope you can add the Intel Braswell architecture codes to your Throttlestop program. You helped lots of people that had broke their laptop's batteries and powerjacks without having them to buy a replacement, especially if they're just a school student.
    If there's no solution - then I have to spend like 2 weeks of school just to save some decent pocket money for replacements... because of Coronavirus I can't go to school for like 3 weeks... And I have so much homework and most of them use PowerPoint and Word for that... Also Skype is laggy.. all because of an accident happened some weeks ago and it broke the power jack, luckily survived but damaged the "smart" connector...
    Thanks.

8. jonfmalm

jonfmalm Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there,

Wondering if I can get some help with my PC. It crashes on wake from sleep - with profile disabled and voltage reset to 0.

I have a dell xps 9343 with intel i5 5500u. I managed to get a stable ,-0.80, -0.75 and -0.065mV undervolts in p95 and TS Bench, but had difficulty getting any of them to stick and be stable after waking from sleep or rebooting. No luck. Then I updated from the stable throttlestop to the beta after reading the thread about Dell XPS 15 voltage setting. My computer would crash on wake from sleep after the configuration.

Now, even after I switch the profile off so that it is 0mV offset and all default settings in options and FIVR menus, my computer is still unable to wake from sleep.

I tried setting all of the settings in all of the profiles to default and mV. I tried reconfiguring the undervolt and re-unconfiguring it thinking that the settings might be stuck. No luck. I tried deleting the TS program and settings files. I tried re-installing windows from the backup partition on my device, and I have tried reinstalling windows from a windows DVD. After the second windows installation, the Sleep power option is no longer available and replaced by hibernate.

At this point I am looking to either properly configure the undervolt with no crashes, and/ or revert the computer back to normal. Do you think it is an issue with my device firmware or damaged hardware? Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,
    JM

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I already added code to ThrottleStop to support the Intel Braswell CPUs. Can you push the TPL button and take a screenshot of that window. Can you try increasing both the long and short turbo power limits? These limits might be locked on your laptop.

The Celeron N3050 is a very low power CPU. Even when new, it was not very powerful at all. It looks like you have too many programs running on your computer. This will make your computer very slow. Open up the Task Manager and click on the Details tab and then click on the CPU heading. Try to find out what is running on your computer. Maybe you need to get rid of some programs that are running in the background. If you have a bad antivirus program, it can make a computer like yours extremely slow.

@jonfmalm - If you are not using ThrottleStop and your computer cannot wake from sleep, that is a problem with your Dell XPS computer. How long has it been since resume from sleep worked correctly? Some computers have problems like this even when they are new. Dell is better than most when it comes to releasing BIOS updates to fix nagging problems like this. Are you using the latest BIOS version from the Dell website? Look for a newer BIOS version. Preferably one that was released before December 2019.

You might have a minor problem like one of the memory chips is failing. Your computer is 5 years old now so stuff like that happens. The only problem is that Dell soldered the memory to the main board so there is no easy or cheap way to test or replace it. It was probably a nice laptop when it was new but when manufacturers cut corners like this, you have to get rid of them when some minor problems start to develop. They can be too expensive to repair. @Papusan hates disposable laptops with soldered components.

If your computer is broken, using ThrottleStop is probably not going to fix your problem.

Edit - Sad to report. Even the gaming oriented Dell Alienware M17 is not immune. A report has just come in to TechPowerUp about another laptop model that has lost CPU voltage control.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ervoltage-offset-suddenly-not-working.265287/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  10. wilsontulus5

wilsontulus5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Unclewebb,
    I adjusted so many settings. Nothing worked.
    So many options are locked, so take a look at the TPL window I captured.
    Also sorry for being late because of the bad Internet signal probably because of the high demand due to Coronavirus and people being work and study at home - all using Internet. Also I don't expect you to be that fast for peeking through my reports and tried to import them into your program...
    Here's the link of the TPL screenshot - with some useful things...
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=15UBThJjw7EnPreT3AEhjqyTsn9tAu56K
    I actually tried to RegReport again, but while stresstesting - I thought the registers will going to be very different than usual while stresstesting the CPU. It's 6 attempts as usual. Also if you can - I also give you the BIOS of my laptop - it's revision F.29 from the official HP website for this laptop.
    Here's some story about this laptop, sorry if it's too long.
    I bought this HP laptop from 2015, actually this belongs to my sister but she just gave this laptop since 2018 because she got a new Dell laptop with Kaby Lake i3 and 1TB HDD in it (she doesn't like SSD for some reasons), that's when I got to the middle school (or junior high school? I'm 13 in 2018). Then in 2018 I upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB, after that Windows 10 is not laggy anymore, until the accident occured 4 weeks ago, now in 2020. In 2019, one of the battery cells inside the pack was suddenly dead, the voltage of the dead cell is only 0V and if I force the battery to charge using a 18650 battery charger (it's from a flashlight, the charger and it's regulator is good with 4,19V final voltage measured, and any power supply is usable because it requires a microUSB input from a good charger), all of the charger's LED indicator (there's 2 indicator LEDs (separate LED for each color), red for charge and green for full) just shut off until I removed the battery, and that's a sign of a dead battery. Luckily I saved the 3 remaining cells, they're seems to be healthy, they're useful if I want to make some projects. The reason why the power port is broken is because 4 weeks ago I just tripped my feet at the laptop charger when my mom called me to wash some dishes (I love washing dishes because it's easy). Luckily the laptop didn't fall and the male connector of the charger is OK and the pin inside doesn't bent, but the female connector of the laptop seems to be damaged. The laptop still works even if I wiggle the connector while the laptop is running, then I booted into Windows, and, suddenly the laptop just got slow - when I opened CPU-Z - the clockspeed seems to be very throttled, the clock speed is only 0,48GHz instead of 1,60 - 2,16 GHz. The laptop uses passive cooling, I just cleaned the laptop and replaced the thermal paste 4 months ago (the paste is Deepcool Z3), and I checked the temperature and the reported temperature is only 40 degrees Celcius, then I tried the HP diagnostics UEFI to test everything - the diagnostic said that everything is OK - only the battery is reported as bad. Then I just thought that maybe the power adapter is going to fail, then I bought a power adapter replacement - it's the 65W adapter with the same 19,5V voltage and the same connector, part number is 677770-002 (the original adapter is 45W with part number 740015-002), i bought it for $16 and it's a bit larger and heavier than the original. I attached the adapter - the clock speed is still throttled at 0,48 GHz. Even disabling startup programs and even booted using Hiren's bootPE and opened CPU-Z, the CPU clock is still 479.1 MHz (0,48 GHz). I reset the CMOS and updated the BIOS - nothing worked. Then i found this solution called Throttlestop, but Throttlestop doesn't support my CPU. Then I realized it's a power connector problem, but I think the laptop doesn't accept the 65W charger since the power adapter test passes and the diagnostic doesn't said anything? Something fishy going on my laptop now.
    The RAM is ok - I tested the RAM using Memtest86 (x64 UEFI version), no errors detected. I tested the hard disk using CHKDSK, no bad sectors found, but the SMART status showed a raw read error rate with value of 2, but the hard disk seemed to be fine.
    End of story.
    Thanks Unclewebb, if you can do this - you also save lots of people that broke their laptop's power port and the battery and can't afford the replacement. I know, lots of the students are probably use a low-end laptop like this, even a super cheap Chromebook. (I don't want to use Chromebook because many schoolworks use the offline, Windows program like GIMP, Visual Studio, and Microsoft Office, offline programs means "the program that installed on your computer without needing an Internet connection to work", and I learn programming while I still a very basic at programming...)

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE! NO FORUMS IS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE!
    I appreciate your work. Thanks.