The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Danny Utoyo

Danny Utoyo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Sir,
    My system is Lenovo Legion Y740 with i7-9750H (Undervolt vcore and cache -150mv)
    When I set the EPP value under 128 but set the TPL value high (Long = 60W, Short = 90W) to avoid the Power Limit Throttling issue, I get bad temp (90+ degrees C) and the result is Thermal Throttling issue.
    Right now I have 2 options after intensive test to choose:
    1. Set EPP 128 and TPL 70-90, No Power Limit and Thermal Throttling (Max temp 75c). But Benchmark scores are below standart and when playing games the clock speed is limited 3Ghz only.
    2. Set EPP 75 and TPL 40-50, Power Limit Throttling occur but Thermal is safe (Max temp 88c). Bench scores are Normal and CPU Clock Speed can run above 3Ghz, Around 4Ghz to minimum 3,5Ghz when PL Limit active.

What should I do?

2. golovkin

golovkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I read the threat you posted and also little bit about your machine.
    If I remember the multiplier bug is also on Skylake but dont know if U - cpu are included at, so let me know how was it.
    I myself am afraid to boot machine less uCode, because it will take me about 2 hours to dissassembly and flashing backup in case I was wrong :)
    About ME, I am not sure you could change ratio by working on different version ME and you probably can not simply skip main version, lets say from version ME11 to 12.
    But I believe you can find about BCLK OC Skylake to 103 MHz exactly on the same site as you posted.
    Here is thread about pwne your NUC6i5syk machine code http://blog.cr4.sh/2016/
    Good luck and sorry for my bad english
    Dan

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    pressing and moral hazard like this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Your Lenovo Legion Y740 has inadequate cooling. You will not be able to run all 6 cores of your 9750H at their full rated speed indefinitely. This unfortunately is normal for laptops with this CPU. Some users with this problem will take their laptops apart and will apply new and improved thermal paste. Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut is a popular way to improve cooling.

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/26-conductonaut-en

Keep in mind that any CPU temperature under 100°C is safe according to Intel. That is why Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C. Your CPU will automatically and continuously adjust its speed just enough to always keep your CPU from exceeding 100°C. I have tested Intel thermal throttling and it works great.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Look at the main screen of ThrottleStop. Does it show PROCHOT 100°C or did Lenovo reduce the thermal throttling temperature for your laptop? Any number less than 100°C will force your CPU to start thermal throttling even before the Intel specification. In other words, it will be extra safe.

Edit - I saw one screenshot of a similar Y540. Lenovo dropped the throttling temperature to 94°C. In my opinion, that is way too conservative but they can do whatever they want. As a consumer, I would shop elsewhere.

I do not think it matters whether your CPU thermal throttles or power limit throttles. Set ThrottleStop up however you like so your laptop provides the best overall gaming experience and stop worrying about your CPU temperature.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Danny Utoyo likes this.
  4. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I am curious about this myself, might take some time to get back to you with an answer as I am still learning.

That information is gold, Thanks Dan!

5. Danny Utoyo

Reputations:
    Yes, lenovo set the BDPROCHOT value at 94c.
    Thank you for the enlightment

unclewebb likes this.
  6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Lenovo set the PROCHOT value to 94°C. PROCHOT and BD PROCHOT are two different things.

Setting the PROCHOT temperature to 94°C reduces maximum performance. This is not something a company should be doing on their performance oriented laptops. That is kind of like putting a rev limiter on a car and setting it 1000 rpm lower than what the engine is capable of.

7. Danny Utoyo

Reputations:
    Thanks for the correction, yes I mean prochot... Sorry for the typo, i just woke up when i write that down

8. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have an XMG PRO 15 (Early 2019) / Clevo PB51EF-G and I'm trying to enable Hardware Duty Cycling (HDC) but it keeps auto disabling itself when I click okay. Why is this happening?

9. golovkin

golovkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not at all, It is ok I am also learning, for example I am stuck at very first step trying to port Chipsec somehow :)

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    It is possible that I never got around to finishing this feature. :oops:
    I think HDC has been around for a year or so and you are the first person to ever mention anything about it.

My 4th Gen laptop that I use for programming does not support HDC so I might have accidentally forgot about finishing this feature. I have access to a 7th Gen desktop computer so I should be able to properly test and get HDC working in the next day or two.

Maybe this feature will improve laptop battery run time a little.

t456 likes this.