The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

I will try to run with furmark after i disable, thanks :)

EDIT: Thank you Unclewebb, with BD PROCHOT off. I'm able to raise GPU Clocks to 810MHz and the CPU DOES NOT THROTTLE

You're the best, thank you for this!

2. kfruit

kfruit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

I am pretty sure I installed it correctly, before I cleaned and repasted it was getting this hot, after I repasted it went down a bit but that didn't last very long. How exactly does the heatsink fail? Isn't it just a big piece of metal?

I tried forcing the Chipset Clock Mod and played a game of DOTA 2, it completely solved the lag issue but unfortunately when I was done My CPU maxed at 104c and my GPU at 92c which can't be good for either.

I guess I'l try to find one of those compressed air cans and see if it helps, can't think of anything else.

3. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    You might try using ICD for the paste.

Check this below

4. SunnyChrono6

SunnyChrono6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @kfruit : kind of unlikely,but just check whether you are unknowingly increasing the voltage of the CPU using throttle stop.......ie check the vid bar in it.

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    What thermal paste did you use? I have different notebook but this is exactly what happen to me before. After repaste, temp only reduced for a while before it increased again after a couple of weeks. I got this fixed by using different thermal paste. These brands should perform good in your notebook: ICD7, Shin-Etsu. I can only name two since I'm only familiar with them.

6. kfruit

kfruit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I use Thermaltake TG-2, I could try another I guess but it's a real pain opening with these bad screws and dying hinge.

On another note, I just cleaned out the vents by shooting at them with an empty old pump airgun (don't worry I tested it beforehand, it wasn't too much pressure :p) and I played DOTA 2 and the temps didn't go beyond 75. I am amazed because I barely saw any dust come out. I guess I' just repeat the step anytime the temps raise again! Hopefully not to soon!

Not sure about the VID, never tampered with it. Anyways, thanks for all the help!

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The VID for Core i processors is not adjustable using ThrottleStop or any other software that I know about.

Mobius 1: Go easy on the Furmark testing with BD PROCHOT unchecked. Furmark is a big load for any laptop.
    There is a reason why Furmark 1.8.0 was called the "Hot Like Hell Edition". :D

kfruit: Good to hear that you got your problem solved. Happy gaming. :)

8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Hey Uncle, THX A TON for implementing IVY support! :)

Since the old TS somehow alows the IB to run at a multi of 8, do you think it may be possible to have that option in the new version, too?

9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I know, it reached 90/87 for cpu/gpu (keyboard lifted)

But it stays well within safe temps on skyrim and vantage :)

Thanks again unclewebb, you're the best!

10. Quanger

Quanger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey unclewebb
    Is it ok to run my t9900 at 85C? I undervolted to 1.0750 and put on icd7 but still cant get the temps to drop. My ambient is also quite high at 27C. just wondering of 85C/85C is accepatable