The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can rename throttlestop.ini to backup.ini or something to keep a backup.

Papusan, unclewebb and JRE84 like this.
  2. JAWW

JAWW Newbie

Reputations:
    The last working BIOS for the Dell G3 was 1.8.0.
    It should be uCode 0xB4.
    ThrottleStop works on these.

VTnK, Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  3. djdelarosa25

djdelarosa25 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What's a good free program to test how stable my iGPU undervolt is?

Is it even worth it to undervolt the iGPU?

4. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just found that throttlestop can be used to fix my NUC6i5syk that was experiencing a voltage regulator fault causing non stop BSOD "whea uncorrectable error".

Details of this error are here:
    https://nucblog.net/2016/04/skylake-i3-and-i5-nuc-whea-errors/

Updating the bios did not help (which is expected as the bios update would only ensure the fault didn't occur, once the fault kicked in then the bios update was useless).

The fix was to increase the cache voltage using the FIVR menu in throttlestop (in my case I increased by 125mv).

I find it interesting that Intel engineers couldn't figure out that this was all you needed, more cache voltage. They probably could have created a new bios with this option if they knew...

In order to boot into windows without a BSOD I had to change the current limit option in the bios to the lowest setting (4 amps). This would let the Nuc boot but the cpu would be stuck at 800mhz.

After increasing cache voltage by 125mv to ensure stability and no BSOD, I was then able to bump CPU core current up to the max which gave me back full turbo on the cpu.

I have also used UBU to roll back the microcode to a 2015 dated one and unlocked options in the bios via the setup IFX extraction / modification method.
    The method is found here:
    https://puissanceled.com/vrac/Bios_modding/EN.html

In my case the PE32 image section containing the setup forms was called "dpsdsetup".

Now I'll work on modding the ME section to enable the turbo overclocking option in the FIVR menu hopefully. As this is skylake on an old microcode I want to use the multiplier bug to see how high the frequency can go past stock.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @moral hazard - That is an interesting use of those ThrottleStop features. Good work. :vbthumbsup:

I found an interesting problem over on TechPowerUp.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-not-working.265055/

It looks like some user got hit with a BIOS update or perhaps a Windows Update that set all of the turbo ratio limits on his 7700HQ to 0. Worse than that, it also set the lock bit so he has lost Intel Turbo Boost as well as voltage control. These supposed engineers with all of these great ideas need to be taken to the wood shed.

6. golovkin

golovkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi @moral hazard,
    could you please reveal how you want to modify ME so you can overclock.
    Because want to do the same thing.
    I can't see any section ME regarding to OC.
    Just was able rewrote few of registers in order to enable OC BLCK at ICC profile section, but even this could not be achieved on H61 board. Just up to100 MHz.
    When I experimentally disabled ME (partly) I lost my 100 MHz BCLK for 99,75 so was reverting back to ME..
    Sorry for my bad English

JRE84 and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    JRE84 and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. djdelarosa25

Reputations:
    My attempts to undervolt the iGPU have so far been futile. I've pushed it passed -300mV and nothing happens, even while running a stress test on it.

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    When under volting the iGPU, you have to under volt the iGPU and the iGPU Unslice equally or your under volt will be ignored. That is likely the problem that you are having.

djdelarosa25, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. djdelarosa25

Reputations:
    Thank you for this. I'll give it another go.

Managed -100mV. This is surprising. I've read people only reaching about 50mV.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 5:26 AM