The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @rocketvole - When your undervolt is not 100% stable, light load BSOD problems are common. Full load testing is important but putting a single thread load on your CPU is also important. Most users only concentrate on full load testing which is a mistake.

A BSOD is a sign that your CPU needs some more voltage. Do some single thread testing and reduce your under volt.

Papusan and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  2. Akern

Akern Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you please give us instructions on how to do that?

3. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Take Ownership Guide - mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Before making any changes, it is always a good idea to create a System Restore Point just in case something goes wrong.

[​IMG]

As you may have heard, due to a security vulnerability, Intel has started blocking CPU voltage control.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00289.html

Your system manufacturer might release a BIOS update that contains a microcode update but most computers will probably get this microcode update through Windows Update.

If you want to continue using CPU voltage control, make a backup copy of this file
    C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Better yet, follow this guide and take ownership of this file away from Windows. This will put you in control of this file so you can decide if you want to update it or not.

Start by opening the Windows File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32
    Do a search for mcupdate

[​IMG]

Right click on this file and select Properties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highlight Trusted Installer and then click on the Advanced button.

[​IMG]

To the right of where it says Owner, click on the Change button.

[​IMG]

Enter the name of your account and then click on the Check Names button.

[​IMG]

If this automatically fills in the appropriate user account information, click on OK.

[​IMG]

You should see a new Owner for this file. Click on OK.

[​IMG]

Highlight TrustedInstaller and press the Edit button.

[​IMG]

Now you can edit the Permissions for TrustedInstaller.

[​IMG]

I only check Read & execute and Read in the Allow column and I check Write in the Deny column to hopefully prevent anything from changing this file.

[​IMG]

You will need to press Yes to agree to a couple of Windows Security prompts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you are all done, find the mcupdate_GenuineIntell.dll file, right click on it, select properties and make sure that the changes you made are correct.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    IVHOTEP, t456, magnetoeric and 3 others like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    joluke and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. JAWW

JAWW Newbie

Reputations:
    I saw on another forum that 2 users that lost undervolt from a BIOS update got their undervolt back by downgrading BIOS and resetting to default. Just downgrading BIOS alone was not enough for them. The default reset was needed. Anyone who has lost undervolt want to try? I love Throttlestop and want to be able to keep it should a forced/accidental BIOS update happen.

Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice guide. Since I am generally blocking all automatic Windows Updates (and have been since before Windows 8 was released) I still had a much older cancer-free version, but I have taken the steps needed to prevent metastasizing.

Capture.JPG

7. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, since a few weeks I get the following error message when TS starts with the system: "error creating service: null".
    The message also pops up if I uncheck "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" and then re-enable it (after clicking "OK" obviously).
    I tried to whitelist my TS installation folder in Windows Defender as suggested here, but I'm still facing the issue. Any idea ?
    I'm with a TongFang GK5CN6Z and i7 8750H proc.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Blebleuh - As you found out, ThrottleStop needs to create that service so the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature can lock the power limits register.

I am using Windows Defender and I am not having that problem.

What version of Windows 10 are you using? Are you running an Insider version? I have a desktop computer on the mainstream 1909 and I am not having this problem. I will check later today to see the exact version that I am running. I avoid being on the cutting edge of updates so I can avoid problems.

Did you enable the Core Isolation - Memory Integrity feature? This Windows safety feature can block the ThrottleStop Disable and Lock feature.

[​IMG]

Try downloading the RwDrv.zip file from Mega again and extract and copy the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder.

https://mega.nz/#!CNNA0SoC!Z2Xi2icwX4d4jzW016dKnKGhVglWmSSPpgiRU7VCG6g

Did you recently add any new software to your computer that might also be using the RwDrv driver?

Papusan, Mr. Fox and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I recently enabled that feature on TS 8.74 on a fresh install, Win 10 pro, have not had any issues. Windows is fully up to date as far as I can tell.

That being said, I have seen errors similar to the poster above. I thought it happened to me after a big windows update, I think my solution was to remove it completely and put the newest version back on and redo the RwDrv.sys steps.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I do not even have Core Isolation and Memory Integrity options because I have disabled all available virtualization options in the firmware. Sometimes less is more. A lot less nonsense to deal with. Having a hassle-free experience is definitely worth the minor amount of risk involved with having unnecessary trash turned off. It's terribly unfortunate that most laptops leave end-users with little or no access to useful features and options that are hidden in their firmware.
    upload_2020-3-11_11-29-58.png

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Papusan and Porter like this.