The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Adjust both offset voltages the same for your baseline test. After that, try adjusting the core to a numerically larger value. If baseline is -100 mV for core and cache offsets, keep the cache at -100 mV and set the core to -125 mV or -150 mV and see if it makes any difference to performance or core temperatures. Use something practical like Cinebench R20 for testing purposes.

Laptops have a lot of variables like fan speeds and power limits so it can be very difficult to get consistent results. Remember to go back and forth a few times to prove that your new settings are better. Some users do a single test and call it a day. You need to run several tests to be sure.

2. djdelarosa25

djdelarosa25 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for replying! Do you recommend using TS 8.74 if I'm not running 10th gen or should I stick with 8.70.6?

Also, some other questions. What stress testing programs do you recommend? Is it advisable to undervolt the iGPU or should I leave it alone?

3. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I like TS 8.70.6 because the .exe is signed by TechPowerUp. There have only been minor updates recently so flip a coin. Use whatever version you like.
    I like Cinebench R20, the built in TS Bench test so I can run 1 or 2 Thread tests as well as full load. I still like Prime95 with or without the AVX extensions enabled. If your laptop becomes an inferno running Prime95, set Prime95 to only run 1 or 2 threads to keep the heat down.

I have not done any significant testing while undervolting the iGPU. If you have an Nvidia or AMD GPU, I would leave the iGPU at default voltage. If you do want to try playing with the iGPU voltage, save it for the very end after you are confident that your CPU voltages are 100% stable. I have seen too many people adjust multiple variables at the same time. I prefer adjusting the offset voltages individually.

While trolling the depths of reddit, I came across an interesting quote from a year ago. Unfortunately his name was deleted from his post
    He was a real visionary. His vision of the past, present and future are all equally clouded. I am sure some 10th Gen owners are quite happy that I did not listen to this guy and just kept working on ThrottleStop instead.

Falkentyne, t456, intruder16 and 4 others like this.
  4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    A BIOS update for the Dell G7 7590 has eliminated voltage control. The user has not found a way to go back. He tried using the previous BIOS without any success.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...l-g7-7590-1-11-1-1-12-0.3579943/post-21613665

Perhaps these updates are updating the BIOS and the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file at the same time.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Same nasty with this firmware update from Dell as well. Nothing mentioning the serurity advisory... Intel SA-00289 or CVEID: CVE-2019-11157. Nice way trick people (those who know about the problematic fix) into update their firmware... Just hide it and people think they are safe.
    upload_2020-3-9_1-55-26.png
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...ode=wt64a&productcode=g-series-15-7590-laptop

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    unclewebb, jc_denton and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. rocketvole

rocketvole Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What does the BSOD error look like in Event Viewer if I have undervolted too much? I got a random 'Kernel-Power' error today, but I wasn't doing anything CPU or GPU intensive.

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @rocketvole - When your undervolt is not 100% stable, light load BSOD problems are common. Full load testing is important but putting a single thread load on your CPU is also important. Most users only concentrate on full load testing which is a mistake.

A BSOD is a sign that your CPU needs some more voltage. Do some single thread testing and reduce your under volt.

Papusan and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  8. Akern

Akern Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you please give us instructions on how to do that?

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Take Ownership Guide - mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Before making any changes, it is always a good idea to create a System Restore Point just in case something goes wrong.

[​IMG]

As you may have heard, due to a security vulnerability, Intel has started blocking CPU voltage control.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00289.html

Your system manufacturer might release a BIOS update that contains a microcode update but most computers will probably get this microcode update through Windows Update.

If you want to continue using CPU voltage control, make a backup copy of this file
    C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Better yet, follow this guide and take ownership of this file away from Windows. This will put you in control of this file so you can decide if you want to update it or not.

Start by opening the Windows File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32
    Do a search for mcupdate

[​IMG]

Right click on this file and select Properties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highlight Trusted Installer and then click on the Advanced button.

[​IMG]

To the right of where it says Owner, click on the Change button.

[​IMG]

Enter the name of your account and then click on the Check Names button.

[​IMG]

If this automatically fills in the appropriate user account information, click on OK.

[​IMG]

You should see a new Owner for this file. Click on OK.

[​IMG]

Highlight TrustedInstaller and press the Edit button.

[​IMG]

Now you can edit the Permissions for TrustedInstaller.

[​IMG]

I only check Read & execute and Read in the Allow column and I check Write in the Deny column to hopefully prevent anything from changing this file.

[​IMG]

You will need to press Yes to agree to a couple of Windows Security prompts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you are all done, find the mcupdate_GenuineIntell.dll file, right click on it, select properties and make sure that the changes you made are correct.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    IVHOTEP, t456, magnetoeric and 3 others like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    joluke and Mr. Fox like this.