The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. THE-HL

THE-HL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey unclewebb, when i check my limits on ts (like when im running tsbench) it shows pl2 on core and edp other on ring flashing red, is there anyway to get these not to show up?

Attached Files:

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @THE-HL - PL2 is the short term turbo power limit. Try increasing that in combination with the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature.

You are already triggering thermal throttling. Without improved cooling, you are near max performance.

Papusan and pressing like this.
  3. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.

I am attempting to undervolt a Lenovo T490s (i5-8265U) to reduce burned fingers.

I have ThrottleStop 8.72, and undervolting the CPU cache appears to work (~20s better on 1024M TS Bench with -100mV, and at -110mV the system BSoDs), but undervolting the CPU core doesn't appear to work (-750mV doesn't cause a crash, which is impossible, and more reasonable numbers have no effect on the TS Bench or the VID readings).

The "FIVR Control" panel doesn't show "FIVR Control - Locked", but it does show under Integrated Voltage Regulator "PowerCut - uCode 0xB8 Locked".

1. Am I suffering from the dreaded Intel anti-undervolt lock?
    2. If not, do you have any idea what's going on here?

Faithfully,
    m9m

4. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For many CPUs, undervolting core and cache the exact same amount seems to work better, i.e. -100 mV for both core and cache. If they are not identical, the CPU has a tendency to ignore one or both undervolts. Have you tried that?
    Of course, you can see the actual undervolt in the window (upper right in FIVR), so you can tell if the undervolt is being implemented.
    Good luck,
    Joe

5. THE-HL

THE-HL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As in increase the turbo time limit? and how is it that im hitting thermal throttling and high temp numbers even though my pc is not even hot?

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @magic9mushroom - Definitely start by adjusting the core and cache offset voltages equally. There is no way you can adjust the core and cache both to -750 mV. You are right that adjusting only the core offset to -750 mV is not going to do anything.

I do not think so. Look in the monitoring table in the top right corner of the FIVR window. Check the voltage Offset column. If you apply an undervolt and something shows up in the Offset column, your CPU is not being prevented from undervolting.

I did not say anything in my reply about the turbo time limit.

CPUs are tiny and have large amounts of current flowing through them. Hot spots are inevitable. When a microscopic spot on your CPU hits 90°C, you will probably not feel fire and flames shooting out the back of your laptop. It might feel a little warmer but that is about it.

Think about it. When you turn the oven on, the side of the oven will feel a little warmer. If you put your hand on the oven heating element that is glowing red, it is definitely going to feel a lot hotter. Want to try that experiment or would you prefer to just trust me on this one? :)

I still remember placing my calibrated thumb directly on a Pentium III and then pushing the on button. I just could not believe that a CPU could possibly get that hot. Monitoring software must be wrong. In a matter of seconds, I managed to save my thumb and my CPU from permanent damage. Lesson learned and never forgotten.

Papusan, t456, jotm and 2 others like this.
  7. THE-HL

THE-HL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmmmm I see, I thought it could be a misread but thanks for clarifying

8. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha, I did that with an Athlon in early 00's, learned my lesson :D

Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @unclewebb ts set multiplier doesnt work no more, even with delete .ini & cold reboot still no luck. only method i could still control it is with speedstep but since its not part of any profile i cant toggle between ghz.

do you know the cause might be? i can set multiplier but then it still runs at the max clock..

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @ole!!! - How about post some screenshots that show this problem? That is easier than me having to write a wall of text trying to guess what the problem might be.

Is Speed Shift enabled?

For me, a Non Turbo Ratio setting of 1 will disable Set Multiplier. Default is 0.

tilleroftheearth likes this.