The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any good tutorials for performance tweaking on RW Everything?

Aside from that, is there any specific way to tweak to the cache ratio for more performance? Its currently at a default 8/35

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That is correct. If you do not remember your default settings or if you want to find out what your bios is doing, delete the ThrottleStop.INI config file, reboot and let ThrottleStop read the default values from your CPU.

Most tweaks can be done by using ThrottleStop. I like to keep things simple for users.

Set the cache Min and Max as high as they can go for max performance. Simple!

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  3. Trailryder

Trailryder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK, so I need to find out what IccMax is, what it does and why I should change its default value as read from the CPU. And if any amount of change is tied somehow to what you've done with Offset Voltage.

If you set both Min and Max cache to as high as they can go, wouldn't that make them the same? And then, why would you need both settings?

Set caches according to what? I mean, can you only set the TS software up to certain value? Or what feedback are you looking for to know what to set it to and what method of reading that feedback is used?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  4. Casowen

Reputations:
    im curious too

5. intruder16

intruder16 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You forgot the keyword from the post you quoted:

Try using the "search" feature in this thread.

There is no official documentation for all the features in ThrottleStop. Most options are experimentations. Keep experimenting and use whichever yields stable performance.

t456 and unclewebb like this.
  6. Casowen

Reputations:
    Doing a cache ratio of <31/38 on my 7700hq appears to do nothing but negate the undervolting I have done and raise temperatures. A minimal value of 1-31 seems to just keep the VID undervolt value just as it is. Curiously that same 1-31 value is what is on "intel power balance". Anything lower then 31 for the minimal appears to make no difference.

Doing a cache ratio of 1/1 yelds a 5% performance lose. Not sure what is meant by setting them as "high as they go" in this case.

This was all tested in TS bench,

7. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On TS , yes, there is a lose in perf but on cpu bench scenarios like for example FS physics test you will gain few points as your ram memory will be a bit faster.

And setting cache from 31 to 35 in my example is giving additional 0.1V but UV is still there but due to higher cache ratio vid is higher.

General recomendation for every day use is to leave it as default as when there will be a need cache would be auto set to cpu ratio minus 3 which is Good.

hmscott likes this.
  8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I searched this ThrottleStop Forum for IccMax. I put my user name in the "Posted by Member" box and the search feature returned 3 pages of results. IccMax controls how much current flows through your CPU cores before they start throttling. Raise this if you have any current limit throttling issues. Try lowering this variable, do some testing. Anything flashing red in Limit Reasons? Experimentation is the best way to learn ThrottleStop.

Definitely.

The Max setting controls the maximum cache multiplier and the Min setting controls the minimum cache multiplier. The minimum multiplier is used when the CPU is lightly loaded. If you increase the minimum cache speed, you might get some more light load performance but at the expense of more heat. There are no free lunches when overclocking any part of a CPU.

Did you try doing this? Give it a try.

Some benchmarks or games or apps or whatever might be heavily cache dependent so a faster cache will benefit them. If an app did not use the cache extensively, perhaps you could reduce the max cache speed and this would free up some power so the CPU cores can run faster. I am not sure what would be best. It depends on the app. These adjustments are included in ThrottleStop for those that love to experiment and for those that are trying to get every last ounce of performance out of their CPU. That is why people like @Mr. Fox love ThrottleStop.

It is also useful having access to some of these adjustments so users can keep manufacturers honest. On the previous page, @Che0063 mentioned that Lenovo was playing funny with the default Turbo Ratio Limits. ThrottleStop was able to help him fix that problem so he could get his CPU running like Intel intended.

That is just one benchmark. There are hundreds of different ones to choose from. Try testing some real world applications that are important to you.

If you increase the cache ratio sky high, when you try to Apply this setting, ThrottleStop will reduce your request to something more reasonable. With my 4700MQ, the maximum CPU multiplier is 36 and the maximum cache ratio multiplier is also 36. If I try to set the maximum cache multiplier to 70 or 80, ThrottleStop will correct this back to 36. That is as "high as they go".

[​IMG]

My recommendation was to set the cache speed high for maximum performance. My laptop is well cooled and mostly sits plugged in on my desktop. Some extra heat is not a concern. You have to decide what your goals are. ThrottleStop provides a wide range of options so you can get your CPU running exactly how you like it. Fast or slow or hot or cold or anywhere in between.

9. Vyncenze

Vyncenze Newbie

Reputations:
    I have Throttlestop itself working perfectly on my win10 machine (thank you) but for some reason when I set it to run in task scheduler following your guide, it won't open due to the "winring0.dll error". However, when I manually open the exact same throttlestop.exe app (or launch it from a shortcut) it works fine. I have even tried delaying the start by 30 secs or a minute in task scheduler in case Windows needed some time to load it up before launching, but that doesn't help. It will give me the error when it tries to launch from task scheduler, and then I can immediately launch it manually and it works fine! Any ideas?

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you set "Run with highest privileges" in task properties?

On that note, 8.70 works great for me, except Windows 10 keeps closing it sometimes overnight (I believe when Defender runs).

Papusan, tilleroftheearth and Mr. Fox like this.