The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Not doubting you, just that it's not listed anywhere 'official'. :)

2. Marocco2

Marocco2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here is what says Surface APP
    • Modello Surface: Surface Pro 7 Model 1866 i5
    • Informazioni sulla versione
      • SAM: 14.48.139.0
      • UEFI: 8.100.140.0
      • Touch driver: 3.315.139.0
      • Wi-Fi driver: 21.40.1.3

jotm and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @Marocco2 thanks.

Just the UEFI seems to be changed from 7.161.140.0 from my Surface Pro 7 Model 1866 i7.

Still, no update showing up for me yet.

jotm likes this.
  4. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's Microsoft, I've got 2 computers next to each other and one gets the updates a few weeks before the other lol

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. FriedMoboPasta

FriedMoboPasta Newbie

Reputations:
    So, I just moved from Throttlestop 8.70.6 to 8.72 (found from softpedia). It's zip archive doesn't contain RwDrv.sys file. I have used the one from 8.70.2. Can someone point out where to get the newer one? The one I have is from 2018.

6. Drabon

Drabon Newbie

Reputations:

7. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had fun bypassing Lenovo's CPU Power Limits. Seems like they've implemented something like Adaptix, which changes power and thermal limits based on the Windows Power Slider.

[​IMG]

Here's the single heatpipe solution. Combined with one of the quietest fans I've heard on a laptop. Turns out all of Lenovo's meddling with fancy "dynamic" power limits can be bypassed with a single sleep-resume cycle.
    TPL.PNG
    Turbo Power Limits in TS TPL are obeyed, after enabling "Disable and Lock Power Limits".

FIVR.PNG
    Undervolting is still enabled on uCode 0xB8. Lenovo Vantage tried to push a BIOS update on the computer's first bootup. Not having any issues, so I'm not going to update. It seems like I haven't got lucky with the CPU lottery, I can only undervolt -90mV. Lenovo originally ste the Turbo Ratio Limits to 42-40-36-36. Naughty. TS allowed me to get it back to the Intel default 42-41-39-39.

ThrottleStop TSBench.PNG
    By default, Lenovo doesn't allow its fan to spin to 100%. It stays at around 4900RPM. If I make changes to the EC by RW-Everything, I can make it spin up to 6500RPM. That way, the laptop can dissipate ~30W indefinitely. That above screenshot was taken after 5 consecutive runs of TS-Bench.
    Cinebench.PNG
    And here's CBr15. This is with the stock fan curve, and TS stopped a few seconds before the test finished. I think there was some slight thermal throttling, but i was only slight dips. Speedshift is set to only 80 and I had a few thinsg in the background, so I'd expect a slightly hiher score.

I haven't tested max power benchmarks schu as AIDA64 FPU or Prime95 - though I'd expect the CPU to reach over 40W and thermal throttle pretty soon with the single heatpipe.

So at the end of the day, no surprise - TS once again is able to bypass power limits and let my i5-10210U run at full all core Turbo at 3.9GHz.

EDIT: This was with the MX-2 thermal repaste. The stock thermals were okay, but the repast gave me about 5C lower temperatures. I guess I'm limited to the hopelessly featherlight mounting pressure.

unclewebb likes this.
  8. Trailryder

Trailryder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I've installed the program and going thru the guide.

In the Options and FIVR panels it's showing some default values. Where did these values come from? Things like IccMax set to 140, Cache ratio min/max, Alarm temp for the GPU, the timer figures under Misc., Power Saver C0% at 35.

Are some of these default for any configuration? And then for others like IccMax, does the program poll cpu/gpu and read or set values from some database for my specific CPU/GPU?

The guide doesn't cover any of that.

And if my bios already has Speed Shift enabled, there's no need to do it in the program.

And what's the current function of the Turn On/Off option with a Coffee Lake CPU. Does the button actually function in that capacity or not.

If not, then I take it that the program is running and doing it's thing when it's minimized in the tray but if you close the program, it's effectively Off and not doing its thing?

Thanks

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I do not own the RwDrv.sys file so for legal reasons, I will not be including it with the ThrottleStop download. If you need the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature, you will need to download the RwDrv.sys file separately from Mega. This file has not changed so if you have already downloaded RwDrv.sys, there is no reason to download it again. One download per customer.

https://mega.nz/#!CNNA0SoC!Z2Xi2icwX4d4jzW016dKnKGhVglWmSSPpgiRU7VCG6g

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

FriedMoboPasta likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If I am not mistaken, the "default" values (at least most of them) the first time ThrottleStop is launched are the values from the firmware/BIOS that are platform- and manufacturer-specific. In other words, if the manufacturer makes a default value different than Intel specs, ThrottleStop is going to mimick those values (good or bad) until you override them with better values. I am also reasonably certain that once you override values with ThrottleStop, you could actually close it and they would stay applied until you reboot unless you change the values again using ThrottleStop or something else. Perhaps @unclewebb can confirm this. I don't want to state anything incorrectly.