The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've heard the same thing as well, that XTU passes on supporting U CPU's, it started back with 8th gen, and here's a work around to install XTU on unsupported platforms - useful if XTU stops working for you. IDK if it will still work with current versions of XTU, but it's worth a try:

Workaround: XTU – attempted to install on an unsupported platform
    Huawei Matebook X Pro - i7-8550U
    https://kallelilja.com/2018/12/workaround-xtu-attempted-to-install-on-an-unsupported-platform/

"...The issue at hand however is that the newer, as of writing, version 6.4.1.25 of Intel XTU is not supporting my laptop anymore, throwing error ‘0x80070643‘, ‘attempted to install on an unsupported platform‘ during the setup.

Workaround
    Run the .exe and extract the .msi installer from your %temp% folder.
    Run the .msi while passing the DISABLEPLATFORMCHECK=1 property.

Code:
    ## Run .exe installer
    XTUSetup.exe
    ## Proceed until error message on screen - Don't exit
    # Copy the .msi version of the installer package from %Programdata%\Package Cache\ location
    copy C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{275588D7-6C9D-4FB0-BBAE-2FA3F7C2DADB}v6.4.1.25\XTUInstaller.msi C:\Users\Username\Downloads\XTUInstaller.msi
    ## Exit the .exe installer
    # Run the .msi version of the installer setting the DISABLEPLATFORMCHECK property to '1'
    msiexec /i XTUInstaller.msi DISABLEPLATFORMCHECK=1

Seems simple enough, the author goes through great length's to show his work - how he arrived at the solution...just in case newer versions of XTU require changes to the work-around. Those details are at the article link above.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Looking forward to the post where you let us know which and why. :)

custom90gt likes this.
  3. Kers

Kers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just updated my HP Spectre KBL-G i7-8705G with a BIOS update from 0xc6 to 0xca which is the latest one according to Intel Github page. Undervolting still works but in the other thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...n-e-2186m-after-firmware-update.831546/page-4 the elitebook 840 G6 with WHL-U and the latest microcode can't undervolt anymore. Is it possible that OEM has some level of control and HP decides to block undervolting only for enterprise/business models?

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  4. Marocco2

Marocco2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got a new firmware update for my Surface Pro 7 i5 and undervolting isn't working anymore

hfm, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The OEM is in total control. They can pick and choose what laptop models can under volt or do whatever they want. Not a good time to be a consumer. I am expecting that more and more laptop models will have under volting disabled in the near future.

Can you post a screenshot of your FIVR window or let us know what micro code version ThrottleStop shows in that window? Look on the right middle side of that window.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  6. Marocco2

Reputations:
    upload_2020-1-26_15-4-42.png

hmscott and unclewebb like this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    @Marocco2, which version does the 'Surface' app report is now installed?

8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
  9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Intel started publicly talking about Plundervolt on December 10th. It would not be a big surprise if their friends at Microsoft had already incorporated a fix into their December 5th firmware update.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00289.html

A person needs to be aware of any firmware updates released after this date if under volting is important to them and their laptop.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  10. Marocco2

Reputations: