The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00289.html

The one we need to watch out for is SA-00289. There might not be too many bios versions in the wild yet that contain this fix.

For Windows Update, all of the microcode updates that I have found so far are from October. Those are pre-Plundervolt so they should be safe.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    pressing likes this.
  2. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    OK,

Skylake-S R0/S0 stepping CPU microcode M36506E3_000000D6 for INTEL-SA-00289 Security Advisory to address CVE-2019-11157 (7.9, High) security issue (6700K @ TS 8.72):

oct.jpg

3. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Prema - Good to see that. Even though the end is near, under volting is still alive and well.

To celebrate, I have been working with a user to improve ThrottleStop for the new 10th Gen CPUs like the Core i7-10710U. It has 6 cores and a TDP of 15 Watts so it is definitely a candidate for some ThrottleStop love. Under volting works great. So does the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature which really made his CPU come alive.

[​IMG]

Here is an interesting screenshot. The C10 Package C state really does exist and ThrottleStop has no problem detecting this.

[​IMG]

For years I was never quite sure if maybe ThrottleStop was broken. No problems here. Just 8th Gen manufacturers that thought it would be a good idea to disable this power saving feature. I guess now they can claim improved battery run time for 10th Gen CPUs and encourage users to upgrade yet again.

cktducky, FrozenLord, t456 and 7 others like this.
  4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    That's what we wanted to see!
    Thank you Kevin for continuing to pour your heartblood into this project.

Please let the community know if we could support you with a donation run towards a 10th-gen system to let the fire burn with added luster!

Maybe NBR themselves would even chime in...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Lopt, FTW_260, relobe and 7 others like this.
  5. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is new in ts 8.73 vs 8.72?

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Very little. Just a few minor tweaks to better support 10th Gen CPUs. The download should include a ReadMe file so you can see what I tried to fix. Programming without access to new hardware is a bit of a guessing game. The latest update is working as intended.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    tilleroftheearth and Drabon like this.
  7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop 8.74
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rVVD_Fb3P_L1lzqW-_3DVLoxj6IrwEuO

New Features
    - enabled Limit Reasons access for Comet Lake Core i7-10710U.
    - added IGPU INI file option to set and lock the iGPU power limit.

Some users were having trouble with the Intel GPU power limit being set too low so I added a fix for that problem.

Open the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and add this line.

IGPU=20

The first character is the letter I which stands for Intel GPU. That line will set the maximum power limit for the Intel GPU to 20 Watts. You can set this to whatever value you like. A setting of 0 tells ThrottleStop to ignore this setting. When ThrottleStop starts up, if it finds a value, it will automatically set the Intel GPU to this power limit and just to make sure no other software interferes with this, it also sets the Lock bit on the power limit register at the same time.

Because this locks the register, if you want to make a change to this value, you will have to either reboot or usually doing a sleep resume cycle will reset this register as long as ThrottleStop is not running. If you do a sleep resume and ThrottleStop is running, it will just lock this register again.

If you do not have this specific problem, this new feature might still be useful. You could set this to an extremely low value like 1 which would force the iGPU to continuously throttle. Why? Perhaps this trick could be used to free up a couple of watts for the rest of the CPU so it throttles less when stress or bench testing.

This feature has been tested on some 4th Gen CPUs and likely applies to many other generations from the 2nd Gen and up.

Edit - Here is an example of the new TS running on a 10th Gen i7-10710U.

[​IMG]

Here is a 6 core CPU with a 15 Watt TDP. ThrottleStop is showing that it is throttling like a pig because the manufacturer has set a 10 Watt (PL2) short term power limit. What were they thinking? The long term turbo power limit is supposed to be set to at least the 15 Watt TDP rating of the CPU and for short periods of time, the CPU should be able to run at up to 25 Watts without any problems. Some laptops with low power U series CPUs can go as high as 40 Watts. In this laptop, the manufacturer has lowered this power limit to 10 Watts and performance has been killed.

Intel rates this CPU to be able to run at up to 4.7 GHz when one core is active. The reality is much different. When pressed hard, in this laptop, it is struggling to reach a third of that speed. There is no cure for this mess yet, other than to toss ones investment into the bin and buy something else. Disgusting.

FYI, the above computer running way below the Intel spec is a Dell XPS 13.

Here is the same laptop running at a very healthy 35 Watts just as thermal throttling kicks in.

[​IMG]

Why the huge difference? Why allow the CPU to go up to 35 Watts one minute and then lock it down to 10 Watts the next? You do not have to be a rocket scientist to understand what this is going to do to gaming performance. Fast, slow, fast, slow in an infinite and incredibly irritating cycle. Who designs this stuff and thinks this would be a good idea?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    FrozenLord, Che0063, t456 and 3 others like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe the same company who was one of the the reasons you started up and created throttleStop!

I put in your own post #9219 where you explained the reason ThrottleStop saw the light...
    upload_2020-1-18_9-11-52.png

All should read it.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tDRwD215OkMyx9BzTQRq1esBOXJrC4Dw
    "Dell has long been a fan of using clock modulation throttling. If you are interested in the early days of Dell and clock modulation throttling, here is a 24 MB pdf download that tells all. This document is what originally motivated me to write TS"

Throttlegate: Dell covering up laptop issue [Updated]

upload_2020-1-18_9-29-19.png

See also my thread... How Dell cripple performance explained by...

And yeah, It's Disgusting!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  9. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just joined the Windows Insider Slow - build 19041.21. Turns out it also updated my CPU microcode from 0x8E to 0xB4.

Undervolt is still working on the Core (stock is ~0.9v @ 2.4Ghz), but it seems that HwInfo won't report the iGPU undervolt. I believe it's still working, but I'll have to do further tests.

upload_2020-1-19_19-17-59.png

10. mrUlugbek

mrUlugbek Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi people.
    @Mr. Fox
    Can you help me undervolt my laptop Asus rog strix g731gu corei7 9750h gtx 1660ti

Because if I set core offset -65-70mv so TS benchmark give me many errors. 256 and 1024 mode.
    If i set -55mv so without error. Temperature when benchmark 1024 mode was 89c and cpu 3980hz

How I set more -130? Or take maximum performance from CPU and stay low temperature?

Can you show optimal settings?

Thanks advance