The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. iSilver

iSilver Newbie

Reputations:
    How do I disable/enable core c6 state (not package state) in Windows without entering bios? which MSR registers?

2. JackShepard

JackShepard Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey uncleweb,

after some days of usage of the old version of ThrottleStop I tried to switch to the current version using the same stable settings and oddly enough, my described problem did not recur - neither after restarting the application nor after waking up from the hibernate mode. Very strange, but everything seems to work now as it should.

Intel XTU is not installed on my machine. While undervolting I only used CPU-Z and GPU-Z a little bit in combination with ThrottleStop. In ThrottleStop I'm using currently only the first profile.

Thanks anyway,

JackShepard

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    CA Microcode?
    CA and C6 were also released for 9900k. Garbage microcodes. Causes 100 mhz loss of performance in Cinebench R15 and R20. Lower Gflops in LinX 0.9.6, 35000 sample size. (Please don't run this on your laptop unless you enjoy 100C temps). Terrible Terrible microcode.

BE/BA/B4 are all better. I went back to AE myself.

Papusan, Krzyslaw and joluke like this.
  4. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, tested them like you and had the same resaults.
    Not even terrible, I would say those are

Or even switch back to pre spectre UCODE and ME FW like I did to be free from this garbage if you are on 7th gen or if on newer gen cpus stay with AE and one of the first me fw that contains less security patches.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think you're selling yourself short (even though TS is free). TS is very useful. Despite losing undervolting control, I still use TS to successfully manage the poor thermals of my notebook with the TPL settings. My laptop would be a throttling mess without it.

The Core i7-8565U chip in my HP is paired to a single heatpipe that is inadequate for full CPU loads. Under its 51W short power max, it takes less than 10 seconds to climb to 99 degrees C and thermal throttle. I've reduced that time to just a few seconds, which suits my desire to retain short-term responsiveness while not letting the CPU hit a dangerously high temperature. I also upped the long power max from the factory 18W to 25W. The processor can maintain ~2.9-3.0GHz across all four cores at that wattage without thermal throttling, resulting in noticeably better performance.

Charles

6. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Throttlestop is must have software on any laptop imo.

I'm thinking, when I upgrade from this Haswell ZBook, I'll take the top off, buy a 4930mx, slap a big desktop cooler on it and overclock the life out of it. I wonder how high it can go? 100 Watts? 200? The VRM is integrated right? So as long as the processor is properly cooled, I don't have to worry (much) about the system board?

But yeah, I'm thinking a new Throttlestop, paid, would do well. With the current feature set plus better throttling control (gracefully lower/up the multiplier, voltage, TPL depending on the temperature? Like the current alarm, but more granular), better profiles, and support for AMD. There's a market here, as 1000 pages on NBR and many many more elsewhere prove.

It's an amazing tool that's helped thousands of people, and I hope it's right at the top of your CV :D

On a related note, have you heard the noise a 4810mq makes when it reaches 99 degrees and starts to throttle aggressively? Sounds somewhat like metal screeching, very unsettling.

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Crippling "older" CPUs is a good way for Intel to sell "newer" CPUs.

This strategy requires significantly less investment and effort from Intel.

unclewebb likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Still up to the Notebook manufacturers <how to implement the security fixes>. They could just follow how the Desktop motheboard manufacturers add it into bios.

pressing likes this.
  9. Drabon

Drabon Newbie

Reputations:
    On a positive note my 9750H is able to reach the C10 state now. Before it was only able to get to C8. Dropped the idle power usage from 0,5 W to 0,3 W not quite so bad. Unfortunately i can't downgrade my Firmware (quote from HP support "working as intended." ...)

10. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    The current microcodes alone don't seem to block voltage control.
    Tested C6 (SA00270 patched) on P870TM1 with 9900KS and 9900K and everything is still working as it should (TS 8.72):
    TS 872.JPG

Same on a MAG-15 with a 9750H manually updated with C6. Undervolt stuck just fine:

https://hwbot.org/submission/4300713_

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020