The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. geust123455

geust123455 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it normal for it to throttle like this? It starts to throttle when the benchmark progress is at 56%. Long Turbo boost is 80 short is 100. PP0 Current Limit is 1023 while Power Limit is 0 and unchecked. Both turbo time limit and PP0 turbo time limit are at 64. Cache and Core are -137.7. IccMax values maxed.

Attached Files:

2. JaZoN_XD

JaZoN_XD Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been able to get this to work on TS 8.72! I might need to update

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The 8750H has a TDP rating of 45 Watts so it is completely normal for this CPU to throttle at this power level. ThrottleStop is reporting exactly 45.0 Watts.

Did you follow the advice that I have been giving to JaZoN_XD? The part about checking the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box. Go back a few posts and read all about it.

If this trick does not get your CPU above 45 Watts then there is nothing you can do. Some laptops with the 8750H can go way beyond 45 Watts indefinitely and some cannot.

geust123455 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. geust123455

geust123455 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, first thing I did. Running latest version of TS. I have a HP Omen 15 - ce198wm laptop. I tried lower and higher Power Max values but no dice. It just won't work, too bad. But I am glad that I have visited this thread to check on the new bios fiasco for my laptop following the new security exploits. I would've screwed myself over if I updated. I won't be buying an Intel laptop, or any Intel computer again if they don't sort this thing out. Also, is it needed to have checked any boxes that say Lock in the TPL window? I tried with and without checking the lock box under Turbo Boost Power Limits but there was no change.

5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @geust123455 - I included the Lock option as a last resort. If something was messing with the power limits in the TPL window, checking the Lock box would prevent that from happening. If you have tried that and it did not solve your problem, there is no need to check Lock. You might have to reboot and delete your ThrottleStop.INI config file to try to unlock things.

HP laptops are known to use a third set of turbo power limits that ThrottleStop cannot get to. If that is set to 45 Watts, any changes in ThrottleStop will not get around this limitation.

If you enjoy under volting, definitely avoid updating your bios. During the next few months, I think quite a few users are going to be coming here and asking why ThrottleStop is no longer working. Going back to a previous bios might be a painful process.

hmscott, m0biusace, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. Sig. Duck

Sig. Duck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - How can we protect ourselves from BIOS update via Windows Update?

Disabling Windows Update could be a solution, but i suppose many users would like to keep getting all the updates from windows (such as security updates and driver updates) except that microcode update that disables CPU voltage adjustments

7. JaZoN_XD

JaZoN_XD Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe one possible solution is to keep a backup of mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll (found ins System32) while you can, then if Windows pulls an update on you out of nowhere you either still have a chance to downgrade, or use the old microcode and continue doing undervolting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

hmscott likes this.
  8. m0biusace

m0biusace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been using throttlestop for years. Helped with a BD PROCHOT bug on an ASUS laptop i had years ago.

Most recently i've had success on removing the 15w "hidden" limit on a Dell Latitude 7490 with the i7-8650u. The published PL2 is 44w and PL1 is 28 but it would always drop to 15w and even 12w on occasion after being stressed for more than a few minutes. The Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature worked beautifully, pulling a consistent 22w now bringing my cinebench r20 to 1575 multi 421 single.

Thanks unclewebb!

9. Drabon

Drabon Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Thank you so much for your work.

I undervolted my new HP Pavillion 17 Gaming i7-9750H, Nvidia 1660 Ti Max-Q, 16 Gb RAM with great results.

and since you like pictures...

here are the settings for my performance profile. Temperatures and frequencies tend to be a bit better if the undervolt of the core > the undervolt of the cache. still workinprogress

[​IMG]

nothing fancy here, working as intended and starts with windows

[​IMG]

I can go lower than 45W TDP but anything higher in Power or Time is getting ignored
    HP is being mean :(
    [​IMG]

Stock Voltage shows severe limitations in both Temperature and Power. CPU is barely able to get to the 4GHz target.
    [​IMG]

Long power target kicks in and the frequency is in free fall to 3,1GHz
    [​IMG]

Finished cycle and quite high i believe my old benchmark with stock settings and bios f13 had something like 120s
    [​IMG]

Same cycle with the Undervolt. No thermal or power throttling.
    [​IMG]

Again long power target is being enforced and the frequency stays around 3,5GHz. Temperatures and fan speed/noises are all in the green.
    [​IMG]

I guess this is the punishment for getting the new Bios this morning.
    [​IMG]

However the differences are only in the TS Benchmark. 3D Mark still is still showing similar scores pre and post BIOS flash same with CineBenchR15. So iam hesitant to roll back the old one. Any thoughts? =/

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Download wanted patches as standalone and install in offline mode with Network disabled. Always have the door closed when you install patches. Always.

How to use WUB
    Windows Privacy Dashboard

NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide
    Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)
    O&O ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it!

Mr. Fox, Fire Tiger and 0lok like this.