The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. JackShepard

JackShepard Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there!

I have just undervolted the CPU (-0,1455), Cache (-0,1455) and integrated GPU (-0,557) of my Dell XPS 15 7590 (i7 9750H)using the latest version of ThrottleStop 8.70.6. When I start the application later again it seem like the voltages applied to my CPU are sometimes some steps lower than the values that I chose (for example CPU -0,1699). Therefore the system immediateley becomes instable and crashes. I'm not sure if this is a bug in ThrottleStop or maybe something is wrong in my configuration. For now I switched to the next older version 8.70. In this version my problem doesn't seem to occur until now.

Does anybody has an idea what might be going wrong in my situation?

BR,

JackShepard

Attached Files:

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @JackShepard - No one has ever reported a problem like this while using TS 8.70.6 or any other version of ThrottleStop.

Your screenshot does not show this problem. The voltages reported in the monitoring table at the top right are the same as the voltages that you are requesting in ThrottleStop.

Do you have any other software on your computer that might be interfering with your voltages? Do you have Intel XTU installed? ThrottleStop running by itself has always done a great job of maintaining your requested voltages.

Did you save different voltages for different profiles? In the FIVR window, click on the 4 different profile buttons at the top left, Performance, Game, etc. and make sure you did not accidentally save a larger offset voltage (-0.1699) to one of the other profiles.

Edit - I did notice that the last known microcode for your CPU that supports voltage adjustment is 0xB4. ThrottleStop shows you have microcode 0xC6 installed. Try rebooting. When you first boot up, have a look at the FIVR monitoring table and make sure your voltages are being applied correctly. Microcode 0xC6 might be perfectly fine. Everyone here is still trying to find out what microcode versions are OK and which ones are not.

Things also might change after doing a sleep resume cycle. Microcode 0xC6 was not good for an 8th Gen U CPU.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...setting-in-fivr-filed-of-throttlestop.262308/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Vmware fling driver is 99% close to real uCode patch in BIOS.
    I have configured to start TS when I login and VMware driver is loaded before Windows desktop appears.
    I used Vmware driver to patch CPU ucode and not windows because with Vmware fling driver I can simply delete those files using LiveCD when bad uCode bricks the OS whilst MSFT ones are hard to revert if Safe mode is corrupted.

4. JaZoN_XD

JaZoN_XD Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!

I have a X1C6 with 8550u. I was wondering if there was a way to change or stop the power limit with TPL? With this machine, the initial turbo short PL is 29W (even though TS says it's 44W), which then goes down to 23W after 28s (set to 25W as turbo power max).

However, for some odd reason even though the temperature doesn't get extremely hot, the power limit starts dwindling down to 13.5W, which is terrible performance. Can't really do anything with that sort of clock speeds. At that power setting, it runs cool enough that the fans even start to slow down to a slower state! I would like to force it to maintain 23W as long as possible, until temps go too high or something. Is this something I can do with TPL?

Thank you and have a happy new year!

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @JaZoN_XD - Have you tried using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature? To the right of that feature, first click on the Install button. This will take you to the Mega site where you can download RwDrv.zip. Unzip that and copy the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder. Close and re-open the FIVR window and then check that magic box.

Now try adjusting the power limits in the TPL window. Check to see if you have any control over things.

On some laptops, that can fix the problem you are having. Not sure about the Carbon. This trick allows the similar C930 with an 8550U to run indefinitely, well beyond the 15 Watt TDP rating.

https://i.imgur.com/eo0J744.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. JaZoN_XD

JaZoN_XD Newbie

Reputations:
    UncleWebb, thanks for the tip! I've put the file into the TS folder but when I check the box and close the FIVR window it tells me it cannot find the file specified!

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Did you unzip the file first?
    Is the Install button still visible in the FIVR window?

8. JaZoN_XD

JaZoN_XD Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes the button is still visible, I did indeed unzip the file. In fact, the button was clickable even before downloading the file oddly enough. (Not sure how to attach screenshots on this forums yet)

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    If you unzipped the file you downloaded and copied RwDrv.sys into the ThrottleStop folder, when you close and open the FIVR window, you will no longer be able to see the Install button.

[​IMG]

Look in your ThrottleStop folder. Make sure you can see that file.

10. JaZoN_XD

JaZoN_XD Newbie

Reputations:
    I will try restarting my machine, I've tried restarting TS as well, but the button and the check box is still there. Is there a particular TS version that would work best with this?