The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @GooPuddles - Scroll to the top of this page, enter mfc120u.dll into the Search... box at the top right, check the option, Search this thread only and then click on the orange Search button.

It only took me a few seconds to find a relevant post by @Kers
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-969#post-10856200

Edit - I entered mfc120u.dll and ThrottleStop into Google. It was even quicker finding the info this way. Maybe this is a test to see if you should be using this program or not. :p

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  2. GooPuddles

GooPuddles Newbie

Reputations:
    I probably shouldn't! I just bought a laptop and read that this is a program to make sure the new laptop's thermals are okay. I'm certainly not going to overclock.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You still need to know how to use it... The ThrottleStop Undervolting Guide (2019)

Ashtrix, Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @unclewebb I tested new uCode for Skylake D6 and TS 8.72 and performance seems to have improved for highly threaded tasks. I'm just seeing 0.3ms hit in TS bench as opposed to D4 uCode which had 0.8ms difference compared to CC uCode.
    And good news is, undervolt is working w/o any issues. But, I think 125mV undervolt is the max now.

Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  5. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With or without the intel patch for plundervolt or mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll via windows update please ?

6. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not an expert but I think that UV might works because ucode from mobo bios is loaded first and after that you are loading newer ucode via vmware software?
    I think that when you insert nawet ucode directly into bios UV wont work if this ucode is a patch for plundervolt

Vasudev likes this.
  7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Hopefully someone with an HP laptop that no longer allows under volting will show us what microcode version his laptop is using.

[​IMG]

Then we can try to check whether this was from a recent bios update or a Windows microcode update with a new mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Vasudev, Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. SnakeSK

SnakeSK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    upload_2019-12-30_19-39-23.png

Xeon E2186

WinUpdate shows 0xB4, 0xBA comes from latest UEFI firmware then

unclewebb likes this.
  9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @SnakeSK - Did you manually update your UEFI Firmware or did your laptop come pre-installed with this version? It is also possible that your laptop comes with software that took care of the UEFI Firmware update for you. It might have happened in the background and you barely noticed. Thanks for sharing your microcode version.

10. SnakeSK

SnakeSK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I always update my UEFI firmware (company policy and also dogfooding, before any public release :) ).

And yes, capsule update is already on the Windows Update, so this particular firmware is already being deployed with no option of rollback (this is so called fixed version release)

Vasudev and unclewebb like this.