The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You're 100% sure that your undervolt works without touching Cache settings?

2. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As far as I know CPU core and CPU cache goes together as recommended.
    Have a bit more reading here if it helps: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/31385-the-throttlestop-guide/

Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  3. Gusstavo

Gusstavo Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, if i undervolt too much the system becomes unstable (i mean if undervolt only cpu, without touching cache), so that means it's working, correct?

I can do some tests later with cache as well, but whenever i touch cache system becomes even more unstable so i would have to use smaller values.

But thanks for the idea, i will do some testing

Papusan and 0lok like this.
  4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I have not had much feedback from users with 10th Gen processors. Intel might have changed something so the core and cache offset voltages are totally independent now. Intel CPUs used to be like that. My 4th Gen Haswell has independent voltages. No need to adjust Haswell core and cache voltages in sync.

That is the best way to prove it. If you can adjust only the core or only the cache voltage and the CPU becomes unstable, the core and cache voltages must be working independently.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    You could use less undervolt and instead put equal settings for Cpu and Cashe. Go stepwise up with undervolt. Thanks for testing.

6. GooPuddles

GooPuddles Newbie

Reputations:
    I just tried downloading and running the program, then I got this error message:
    "The code execution cannot proceed because mfc120u.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

I don't see that particular .dll file in the zip file. Am I missing something?

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @GooPuddles - Scroll to the top of this page, enter mfc120u.dll into the Search... box at the top right, check the option, Search this thread only and then click on the orange Search button.

It only took me a few seconds to find a relevant post by @Kers
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-969#post-10856200

Edit - I entered mfc120u.dll and ThrottleStop into Google. It was even quicker finding the info this way. Maybe this is a test to see if you should be using this program or not. :p

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    dmanti, tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  8. GooPuddles

GooPuddles Newbie

Reputations:
    I probably shouldn't! I just bought a laptop and read that this is a program to make sure the new laptop's thermals are okay. I'm certainly not going to overclock.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    You still need to know how to use it... The ThrottleStop Undervolting Guide (2019)

Ashtrix, Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @unclewebb I tested new uCode for Skylake D6 and TS 8.72 and performance seems to have improved for highly threaded tasks. I'm just seeing 0.3ms hit in TS bench as opposed to D4 uCode which had 0.8ms difference compared to CC uCode.
    And good news is, undervolt is working w/o any issues. But, I think 125mV undervolt is the max now.

Papusan and unclewebb like this.