The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You're absolutely correct. This is the only industry that I can think of where the vendors don't care that their products are garbage, and their customers are not smart enough to know better. Nobody holds them accountable for selling broken trash, and many don't even see it as that. They're so enamored by it being thin and light and cute that they are willing to overlook the leprous sores that are oozing blood and puss. They don't have "that many" or the sores are overlooked on account of overall cuteness. After all, who needs quality when they have RGB and 4K!?! Nothing else matters.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  2. purezerg

purezerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    in regards to BIOS update locking voltages.
    zbook 15 G4 and zbook studio G3 and zbook 17 G6, all of which had november updates, now their voltages dont affect and the multipliers are grayed out.

am attempting to revert to previous bios. will update here.

that said. MBP are known to undervolt to get more clock speed. with this microcode update. are they locked out from the undervolting also?

update: i managed to revert all to previous firmwares. clocks and voltage are now adjustable.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up unclewebb. Well, it pretty much sums up not to buy Intel based BGA jokebooks since we can't control it anymore and control is back with Intel after new uCode. I'll run a test using TS 8.72 and see I'm locked out of undervolting! Even if you're in the market to buy Intel BGA its better to opt for older gen hardware since newer products are getting inferior as time progresses!
    Will this security issue make OEM think of putting more bigger heatsink to dissipate heat I guess no!

4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This might be wrong thread to write to, but in connection to latest 'voltage limiting news' this is what is happening here.

After the latest Windows 10 LTSC update (2 days ago) I am unable to get processor under 4W, no matter what I do. It used to go to 1.9W when in desktop 'nothing on'. Both 'minimum 4W' are reported by TS and/or HWinfo64.

Capture.PNG

Task manager shows the same values for processes % usage as before the update, no changes there.
    HWinfo64 shows minimum voltages of 0.540 instead of previously 0.524 before the update.

See, having 0% or 1% CPU usage at 4W is kind of weird.

I am using TS, re-installed to 8.72 AFTER I saw the above mess, no change.

Had anyone encountered this?

BTW. If I disable (uninstall TS with .ini deleted and complete shut down) and or/stop TS and check power usage in HWinfo64, the 4W minimum is still there.

So it is not TS (reporting) for sure.

Why suddenty my processor does not want to drop under 4W during 'no load'?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. Gusstavo

Gusstavo Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb I am using throttlestop on ice lake (1065 g7 lenovo c940). Undervolting works great, but it seems that the Turbo Power Limits don't work (even if i installed the "disable and lock turbo power limits" thing). It used to work well on the previous gen. Any idea if there is a way to make it work on ice lake?

Cheers and thank you for such an awesome app!

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @c69k - Check your C states when your CPU is idle. Some manufacturers are disabling some of the package C states, either accidentally through their own stupidity or perhaps on purpose. When this happens, your idle power consumption will go up. ThrottleStop can correctly report package C8 but few laptops seem to be using this power saving feature.

[​IMG]

@Gusstavo - If you are having a problem, post some screenshots so I can see what you are seeing. I do not own a 10th Gen CPU so seeing some screenshots definitely helps.

There are 3 sets of turbo power limits. ThrottleStop gives you access to one set of these power limits in the TPL window and you can use the Disable and Lock feature to try to control the second set of power limits. Unfortunately, if a manufacturer enables the third set of power limits, there is no free software available that I know of to change these. The lowest set of power limits always wins. If this third set of turbo power limits is set to the 15 Watt TDP value for your CPU then long term, you will be limited to 15 Watts and there is nothing you can do about it.

ThrottleStop 8.72 will work correctly on the 10th Gen Ice Lake CPUs as long as a manufacturer has not locked the CPU down. If it is locked down, you are out of luck.

What method are you using?

@Papusan - Your Black List is a great idea. It might be a few more months before Microsoft starts force feeding the masses with Intel's latest microcode update which blocks voltage and turbo multiplier control.

Black List
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ocked-out-due-latest-win-update-and-o.831450/

Falkentyne, c69k and Papusan like this.
  8. Gusstavo

Gusstavo Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb thank you so much for the reply!

I am attaching the screenshots. I just put everything in the turbo boost to maximum. On my previous laptop with 8550u, 15W, i put all the turbo boost to maximum, and the cpu would stay at 30w all the time (basically permanent turbo).

But on this laptop with icelake 1065G7, i put everything to maximum and it does 35w for just a few seconds, and then it drops to 25w (which is the default setting of my lenovo). So basically changing this settings on TPL seems to not change anything, no matter what i change. I am pretty sure that thermal throttling is not the issue, but just that the TPL is not working. Undervolting does work for sure though.

Maybe i am missing something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Gusstavo - There is a third set of turbo power limits that ThrottleStop and Intel XTU do not have access to. The last Lenovo I bought did not use this third set of power limits so ThrottleStop could do its thing. Manufacturers that use this third set of limits will prevent you from achieving maximum performance.

On previous gen CPUs, you had to under volt the core and cache equally. Try setting the time limits to the default 28 seconds. Do not check the Clamp options. Try checking the PP0 Power Limit and set that to 60 too.

Will all this help? Probably not. Sad times to own a new laptop. Things are about to get much worse when the updates start to get forced onto user's computers.

Edit - I just noticed that the TDP Level Control is locked to Level 1. Did you do that or was it like that already? Try deleting the ThrottleStop.INI config file and completely shut down Windows. Boot up and start ThrottleStop so it can create a new INI file. If this is still locked to 1, that is probably the problem. I think my super Lenovo was set to 0 by default and it was not locked.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  10. Gusstavo

Gusstavo Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb thank you! About cpu cache, i noticed that if i undervolt it, the system becomes much more unstable (even if it's the exact same as the cpu core). So i just leave the cache in 0 and do only the core.
    TDP level control was set by me just for testing purposes, but it didn't change anything so i leave it in 0 now.
    Will try the other things and let you know :)