The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Victor Santos - The i5-1035G4 has a TDP rating of 15 Watts. If your laptop throttles at 15 Watts, that is unfortunate but it is also normal. Not many people in this 1000+ page epic thread have had much success with HP laptops. In other words, I would never recommend buying an HP laptop to a person that was interested in maximizing performance.

How does your laptop do when running Cinebench or the built in TS Bench? How about post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while a benchmark is running and while your CPU is throttling. Make sure the Limit Reasons window is open so I can see what throttling reason is lighting up in red.

The Turbo Boost Short Power Max box should be checked. Try using more normal values like 25 for the long and 44 for the short power limit and the default 28 seconds for the turbo time limit. For maximum performance, try checking the Speed Shift EPP box on the main ThrottleStop window and change the EPP value from 128 to 0. Try clearing the PP0 Power Limit check box and set that to 0 so it is not used.

Is - 50mV the maximum stable under volt for your CPU Cache? It is normal for the low power i5 CPUs to not have much under volting headroom before losing stability.

When posting images from Imgur, use the Direct Link that Imgur gives you. You can also use Paint to crop your pictures.
    Here are the Direct Links for your two previous pictures.

https://i.imgur.com/Qz25eAB.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/sa8r5MN.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Victor Santos

Victor Santos Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm starting to accept that I can only tweak the laptop so much. It was a decent deal at $280US, so I can't really complain much. One day, I'll get myself a monster laptop that I can tune more.

I didn't click the Speed Shift box because I'm not sure how to change the 128. On the FIVR screen, it says Speed Shift EPP - 0. The -50mV is stable thus far. Anything much higher gives me a BSOD. I haven't tried smaller increments, and have been going my multiples of 5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My best on Cinebench was 1081.

3. mat89

mat89 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's almost 2020 and ThrottleStop is still the best lightweight CPU tweaking tool around I can't imagine my life without :) What I'd love to see however is Power Limits saved in a profile :) As profiles are already implemented and working well it should be possible to extend them with TPL settings? I wonder if TS could go open source, I'd be glad to help with small changes like that :)

c69k, Papusan, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  4. Victor Santos

Victor Santos Newbie

Reputations:
    So I figured out that I can just change the Speed Shift value on the main screen. What I have found is that the FID is locked at 14, when I run the TS Bench, on any number other than 0, and I also do not get any Limit Reasons, but my benchmark numbers drop significantly.

edit: I'm making progress!!!!!
    adjusting the PP0 power limit and the speed shift, is helping keep my multiplier up. Still getting the EDP other though.

[​IMG]

5. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BTW, Could someone tell me why my 7700HQ is always faster in 12 & 16 threads :D I have always thought that 8 should be the fastest. This differences are negligible but always..

upload_2019-12-22_23-14-22.png

BTW

Is there possibility to bypass powerlimits on Intel Atom x5-Z8350 via Throttlestop or RW Everything?

If yes could some guide me, as I have old PC HDMI STICK with this CPU and I want to give it second life. I will be setting it up soon.
    For old celeron n3350 there was a register you could change via RW and it was working but I am looking something for atom x5 z8350

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    My fears for the user community have come true. Head to TechPowerUp if you want to read about a user that suddenly lost adjustable voltage control. The turbo ratio limits are locked out too which is exactly what I thought was going to happen.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...setting-in-fivr-filed-of-throttlestop.262308/

I am pretty sure that ThrottleStop works with your Atom CPU. No FIVR window so voltage adjustment will be on the main ThrottleStop screen. It is locked together with the Set Multiplier feature so you need to check that for voltage adjustment to work. The power limits should be adjustable in the TPL window.

The TS Bench breaks a calculation up into 8 or 12 or 16 equal parts depending on what option you check in the TS Bench test. That work is assigned to a thread. How Windows distributes the background tasks that need to be processed while the TS Bench is running will influence what TS Bench thread gets completed first. When a TS Bench thread is completed, that thread or core will be sitting idle waiting for the rest of the TS Bench threads to be completed. They do not all end at the exact same time. This is why during a longer TS Bench test, you might see the multiplier increase near the end of the test. On many laptop CPUs, as cores go inactive, the multiplier will increase so that makes sense.

Perhaps breaking the task into 12 or 16 threads allows the CPU to remain fully active for a slightly longer period of time so the TS Bench completes just a hair faster. 12 threads might be ideal and 16 threads might be too much. That's my wild guess but it will depend on how many background processes are running. In your example, the difference is slight so maybe that means that Windows 10 is doing a great job of moving the background tasks around from thread to thread and from core to core. If you were to break a TS Bench test up into too many little pieces, the overhead would be greater and I would expect the bench times to increase.

ThrottleStop is lots of fun for anyone with OCD. Lots of variables to adjust and lots of testing to do to confirm any improvements. Have fun playing.

That was on the things to do list but with Intel and Microsoft blocking voltage control, ThrottleStop is going to be dead in 2020. There is no use spending my free time on further development if the majority of users will not be able to use TS for voltage control. The latest microcode update will kill ThrottleStop and that is going to turn a lot of marginal laptops into unusable devices.

TS had a good run. No regrets!

7. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have heavily modded win10 20h1 19035.1, different reg tweaks, bcdedit configuration, no cpu ucode cancer, Inspectre, ooshutup, win10privacy etc, cpu affinity changes, irq to msi , etc etc worked HARD on tweaking services and scheduled tasks and I have 41 tasks working (including 1 task for throttlestop, 1 for steelseries engine, 2 for KIS antivirus, so bare Windows is taking only 37)

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits locked out due latest Win update/and or newest firmware update.

Please post your notebook/desktop model and what hardware, if this has already happened to your PC. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Ashtrix, c69k, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thanks for creating the thread. I just made a comment the other day that we needed a thread for a black list of companies that need to be boycotted for drinking the firmware cancer Kool-Aid.

ThrottleStop will still be needed for the folks that are not stupid enough to ruin their existing products with cancer firmware, or waste their money on new products that are broken trash.

Intel and Micro$lop are going to kill Intel. Nothing like committing hara kiri in the name of "security" LOL. Man, it seems like stupid is just coming out of the woodwork. I thought the drama revolving around Spectre and Meltdown was just about the dumbest thing I'd ever seen, but this throwing the baby out with the bath water knee-jerk reaction with Plundervolt takes the cake for the ultimate public demonstration of being a total retard.

AMD sucks, but it looks like it may end up being the lesser among evils. AMD CPUs (and GPUs) suck at overclocking, but so will Intel CPUs if they do this. A CPU with locked multipliers and voltage control is as worthless as the tits on a boar, so six of one, half dozen of the other, I suppose. We're all born with belly buttons and butt holes. No joy in that at all. I've never been interested in janky mainstream computing, so I'll probably just say to hell with computers. If I cannot have what I want, then I don't want anything. No point in spending my money on products that suck. They can kiss my butt. I can get cookie-cutter suckiness in a smartphone or console for a lot less.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Ashtrix, tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The real threat here is the notebook manufacturers who is known for crippled products and crippled firmware. They will go the easiest way and continue on next level damaging their products. Aka put the middle finger right into your face and lock down every advanced options in updated firmware, and then call it a day for security. Or just let Microsoft push out new microcode updates without have to lift a finger to offer new firmware who can reverse some of the damage.

tilleroftheearth and Mr. Fox like this.