The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have set the power limits to 150. I don't know how does the voltage regulator go away actually. I've tried Cinebench R200.
    Cinebench R20.jpg

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It is really difficult to downgrade Intel ME firmware cancer. It's unfortunate that Intel ME even exists in the first place. Life would be better without that stupid pile of crap.

Your best bet is to download InSpectre. Launch it as admin, click both "Disable" buttons to disable the Meltdown and Spectre mitigation cancer. Reboot and launch it again to confirm both of the first prompts say "NO!" (may have to click one of the buttons a second time and reboot).

upload_2019-12-21_9-37-2.png

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Your power limits are too low. You also need to choose the box to "Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits" (and download the required file to support it). Check the box and it will ask you to download the file.

Power limits are not necessary. Just max them out all the way. The CPU can't and won't use more power than it is capable of using. Make it look like what I have highlighted in yellow. It won't make the CPU run too hot. Using too much voltage will. Power limits are only limits. There is no real reason for power limits to even exist. They are not necessary.

[​IMG]

Also, try manually launching ThrottleStop from a desktop or taskbar shortcut immediately (like within 1 or 2 seconds) as soon as you reach the desktop. Don't wait for other things to load. Do it as fast as you can. This might block the firmware from forcing your power limits to stupid low stock levels. More likely than not, the settings you put in place for the power limits are being ignored by the firmware. Giving ThrottleStop the jump on things might (hopefully) block that before it happens.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    test0s, c69k, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  4. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have disabled everything using inspectre long long time ago. I have tweaked everything I could in my bga book. Look at my sig. But to make it ultimate I wish I could downgrade me fw. Unfortunatly it must be operational to aply bclk OC, so I only wish I could downgrade it to 11.7.
    If you know how to guide me. If you know how to recreate 11.7 me fw in my FULL bios dump Tell me.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I never thought of InSpectre. Thanks for the tip. Glad to recover a bit of performance back

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. purezerg

purezerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i own 3 hp zbook. recently just got a 17 G6 zbook. but for some reasons. TS kept saying able to start correctly 0x000007b. only for this freshly installed windows. and first ever i saw, it needed me to hunt for mfc120u.dll

7. Victor Santos

Victor Santos Newbie

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  8. Victor Santos

Victor Santos Newbie

Reputations:
    unclewebb, the new package you set up for the 10th gen works very nicely. I'm not sure how much progress I'm making though. In Cinebench R20, my results don't seem to change very much no matter what I'm doing within TS. When I'm doing testing with Passmark, I'm seeing some improved numbers depending on changes I make. With all that being said, EDP other, is popping for Core, GPU, and Ring, even when I'm not running anything. The only thing I can do to stop EDP other from showing, is to Disable Turbo. While benchmarking Limit Reasons is throwing EDP other, PL1, PL2, no matter what I do. I went ahead and made changes exactly as Mr. Fox's post above about maxing out the turbo limits.

Any advice?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    EDP OTHER across all 3 is typically the PP0 Current Limit that needs to go higher. That or the IccMax values.

Post some pics so I can see how you have TS setup. Some companies lock their laptops down. I do not recommend buying those.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Victor Santos

Victor Santos Newbie

Reputations: