The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Victor Santos

Victor Santos Newbie

Reputations:
    Unclewebb, just wanted to say thank you for the update to include the 10th gen chips. I'm learning and tuning now!

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You are welcome. Remember to post some pics so users can see this TS update working on a 10th Gen chip. It also helps me see what features could use another tweak or two. Programming without hardware is like driving blind folded.

I think just the BCLK is still out to lunch. The multipliers should be accurate. If you assume that the BCLK is 100 MHz, you can estimate the CPU speed by multiplying the multiplier by 100. Just move the decimal point a couple of notches to the right. I might get around to fixing this some day. Intel probably changed the frequency of one of the timers that ThrottleStop uses.

The important stuff should work, at least until the next Intel microcode update nukes it!

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    I agree, for regular and most power users performance is the selling point. But it's different for enterprise and server, as security is more valuable. It's really a shame that Intel's been hit so hard with all these exploits lately, they got screwed in both sectors.

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter what area of life we are talking about, evil people (a tiny minority) ruin things for the rest of the world. Nothing is secure. Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, iOS... and the hardware/firmware that support those operating systems. All of the software and apps running on all platforms. All of it is insecure. Nothing can be done to make any of those things secure. If evil people have the will and the skill they will exploit anything they feel like exploiting and there is absolutely nothing anyone is going to do to stop them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2019
    jc_denton likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    One thing for sure... Now it's up to the ODMs implementing the needed options to disable/enable SGX and voltage settings in coming bios. The ones who walk own ways and close the door, has to be put on a Black list. A sticky thread with #what brand/models to avoid#.

Vasudev, Mr. Fox, jc_denton and 2 others like this.
  6. swaaye

swaaye Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah of course if you want to keep the tweaking working and think security is unimportant, stick with the older firmware.

Be careful with firmware reversions if you want to do that though. It can brick systems these days.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I don't think anyone views security as unimportant. It's hard to view security as being more important than a system that functions correctly. A securer system that has problems with throttling and overheating and cannot be tuned to run optimally is a pile of feces that nobody wants to own.

Yes, you're correct. The possibility of bricking a machine by flashing older firmware is real. Downgrading firmware versions carries some risk because of restrictions the stupid digi-Nazis that build laptops have anointed themselves with the liberty of implementing. That is really unnecessary and unfortunate. It's truly none of their business and implementing restrictions is pretty draconian.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    relobe and 0lok like this.
  8. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If anyone know how to downgrade me fw version from 11.8 ( Security updates after all this spectre meltdown) to 11.7 which does not include Security fixes, please guide me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2019
  9. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Finally I was able to run Cinebench R15 without any Limit Reason error or crash :)

TS.jpg

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @onrblbl - Why not increase the turbo power limits some more so the Limit Reasons windows stays black? You do not have to set these to the bare minimum. How about setting both of them to 150 or 200?

How did you make the voltage regulator throttling complaints go away?

Now you can try Cinebench R20 and see how you do.
    https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cinebench-r20-overview/

This bench lasts longer so it is more demanding compared to Cinebench R15.

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.