The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    @Papusan Mh. Thats an older one I guess? But it is really weird, I have broken c states since a few days. Either it was latest Dell bios 1.14.0 or latest Windows 10 updates from this week.

Is there a way TS could "trigger" or activate c states with a command at start up? My c states are now off it seems from a cold boot or reboot, and just work again, after I trigger a standby for about 10 seconds, and then wake the laptop up again. It was always working in the past though until a few days ago...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Try roll back/uninstall latest patches from Micro$lope. The other options is roll back last bios version. Check also Reliability Monitor to see what is installed latest days.

Edit. I looked on released notes on last bios for your Dellbook. Disgusting reading!

Everything can go wrong with such massive changes to fix their broken machines.
    upload_2019-12-13_2-15-53.png
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...r&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

Ashtrix, jclausius, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    "Modified battery algorithm to prolong lifespan and minimize risk of swelling"

Yay, MORE THROTTLING instead of designing a proper battery that won't explode!

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox, maffle and 2 others like this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    I don't think its only the battery. If they can't let you utilize full power from the power adapter, the battery has to work overtime to provide the lacking (needed) power. End results will be short lifespan and swollen battery. See....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1717#post-10974306

Ashtrix, jclausius, Mr. Fox and 4 others like this.
  5. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There is one more thing left to fix for me which is "VR CURRENT". What does this exatly mean? It is blinking in LIMITS when i put load. I've tried to Enable VR Faults in FIVR menu, i click that after i close menu it was gone.

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That is the amount of current flowing through the Voltage Regulator. Not sure how to control this. I think some desktop boards might give you some control of this in the bios. What are the IccMax variables set to as well as the PP0 Current Limit in the TPL window? Set those sky high and see if it helps. If there is no adjustment to control this in the bios, you might not be able to fix this throttling problem.

Just to be clear. Your package C states are no longer working but the individual core C states are still OK. I have no idea how to control or enable these. You will have to ask Dell to do some explaining. Good luck getting them to listen. If it makes you feel any better, lots of laptops seem to have problems with the package C states including my 4th Gen Lenovo. In my case, the package C states work OK if I use the power button on my laptop and only package C2 works if I resume by using either an external keyboard or mouse. If the Intel documentation was not so full of secrets, maybe someone like me could get this problem figured out. I have no idea at the moment.

geust123455, maffle and jclausius like this.
  7. geust123455

geust123455 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a way to force a timer resolution of 0.5 using ThrottleStop? At the moment lowest it can go is 1.0.

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    This is not possible when using ThrottleStop. Do you know any situations where a timer resolution of 0.5 ms is better than 1.0 ms? I do not think going as low as possible is a good thing but I might be wrong. I have not done any timer resolution testing recently.

Papusan likes this.
  9. geust123455

geust123455 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Some games like Crysis 3 benefit from a lower timer resolution. It results in higher CPU and GPU utilization and subsequent FPS increase.

10. Papusan

Reputations:

Attached Files:

Ashtrix likes this.