The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    What video? I cannot see a link. More info is definitely needed.

2. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not all SP7s are created equal lol. (I have a few of these in our IT department for testing). One has a "golden chip"; the one I listed above.. the rest.. not so much.. they request much higher VIDs, therefore hitting 90c without undervolting and throttle afterwards.. They also pull 40 watts or more at first.. Undervolting is no different on those either unfortunately.. capping out around -40mv which doesn't help the initial wattage to achieve max turbo.

10th gen 10nm seems way more power hungry than 8th gen ULV was. Not sure how I feel about this!

pressing and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. yahyoh

yahyoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have weird issue with throttle stop, ive already set to run on boot/log in, but when i let my laptop sleep throttle stop gets killed by system and i have to run it again,, any suggestion why it is happening?

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    It might be because you did not follow the guide I posted in the 2nd post of this thread.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

If you did not follow that guide, try following it. If you did follow that guide, go back and double check your work. Anyone that follows that guide without cutting any corners does not usually have problems like you are having.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Severet

Severet Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it usual to have the processor TDP throttle on battery but not while plugged in? I recently changed the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" which eliminated the PL2 limit under CORE and EDP OTHER under RING when running TS Bench. I'm using an Asus laptop with an i7-7500u and it throttles to 15 W while on battery but can go up to 25 W while plugged in during the test.

Both turbo time limits are at 28, PP0 current limit = 100, PP0 power limit = 0. I was messing with the settings earlier today and was able to have no throttling on battery, but a crash from undervolting seems to have messed it up. I tried deleting the .ini file to replicate the settings, but nothing seems to fix the limit issue.

After using the program mainly for undervolting and not much else for years, I only recently tried to fix my C-States and limit problems. I'm happy to report success on that front at least: around 0.5 W idle draw and ~ 1% for C0. Thank you for your work in creating this powerful program and helping others.

Also, is there a recommended method of uploading screenshots for posts?

6. yahyoh

yahyoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i was using the same setting, but i deleted the task and did it again, and still after sleep TS getting killed. any ideas why?

edit: sorry i think im blind i missed whats written in red. :D

https://i.imgur.com/b4wPCiS.png

i hope it will work now.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Maybe I could animate the important stuff written in red. Some big flashing arrows, maybe some fireworks or other loud noises! That is why I posted this comment.
    Hopefully this finally works for you now.

If you have decided to disable that feature then it is no surprise that your turbo power limits are randomly changing. On some laptops, if you want ThrottleStop to have more control over your power limits, you need to use that feature to disable the secondary turbo power limits. This also prevents them from being changed.

I usually upload images to my free imgur account and then I post imgur links here. I like having all my forum images together on one site.

When creating a message, there is an image button at the top to the right of the happy face. You should be able to click on that button and you can probably host images on NotebookReview.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  8. Severet

Severet Newbie

Reputations:
    These are my current settings with the PL2 and EDP Other still showing up when running tests on battery power. Is there any way to get rid of the limit so the CPU can go past 15 W to 25 W, like when it is plugged in? It throttles to 15 W immediately without hitting the 28 second limit.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    When using imgur, you need to use the Direct Link that it gives you. The first image tag is img in brackets, then comes the link and it is followed by /img also in square brackets. The links you posted are the wrong links. That is why your pictures are not showing up.

Your laptop manufacturer has probably set a hard limit of 15 Watts in the EC when running on battery power. If the long and short term power limits are both set to 15 Watts internally then the time value is ignored. If this is the case, you cannot use ThrottleStop or any other software to get around this limit. This limit has been set to protect your battery from damage.

10. MikeNZ

MikeNZ Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the useful information.

I'm having an issue with having ThrottleStop automatically running with a task schedule. When I have it automatically open on login it opens fine and my undervolt settings are applied but for some reason my CPU won't go above 1800mhz under a stress test. If I open it by myself it works fine and it will mostly stay above 3000mhz. I've tried redoing the tasks a few times and I'm sure I have all of the task settings correct but I can't get it to work properly.

My laptop is the Asus Zenbook UX433FN which has the I7-8565U processor.

Any help would be much appreciated.