The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. inasense

inasense Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all, I recently began using TS again after buying a new laptop. I did a lot of research on the software when using it before, and always found it very straightforward and hassle-free. Strangely, with this laptop I'm having an issue I never had before (this is with the most recent version of the software). Whenever I enter settings, they stick only while that instance of the program is active. As soon as I close the program, or restart my computer, all settings are wiped. When I run the app again, I'm greeted with the warning message you get when running the program for the first time, and all my settings are gone. I've also tried to locate the .ini file to delete it and see if that remedies the issue, but the .ini file is nowhere to be found! Any help would be much appreciated y'all. Thank you.

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @inasense where do you have the program extracted to? Do you as a user have full rights to it?

inasense, Mr. Fox and unclewebb like this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @inasense - I usually unzip ThrottleStop.zip and all of its related files directly into a folder called C:\Program Files (x86)\ThrottleStop

Some people run into problems if they unzip ThrottleStop to their desktop, run it from there and then drag the folder elsewhere. Windows 10 takes exception to this and will do funny things like change the file permissions on the folder. If you have to move the ThrottleStop folder, best to delete the ThrottleStop.INI config file so ThrottleStop can create a new one with the correct permissions.

If you want to run ThrottleStop from a D: drive or some other drive, make sure that you have permission to that folder so both you and ThrottleStop can read and write to that folder. You can usually right click on the folder and add permissions as long as you are in an Admin account.

Lastly, make sure you are not running ThrottleStop within a zip file. If you are using WinZip or similar, ThrottleStop might start up OK but it will not be able to create a ThrottleStop.INI config file to store all of its settings in.

I think that covers the common problems. If you have done something new, let me know!

4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This probably is just another example of files being blocked because you downloaded them from the internet which causes a lot of issue for both the users and developers.

See how to unblock a file and also how to disable this stupid blocking feature entirely.

"Are you sure you want to run this file?" [Yes or No]

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Surface Pro 7 i5-1035G4 (Passively cooled) and undervolted is a screamer with Throttlestop!

64M: 11.883 seconds
    1024M: 208.047

Runs at 35 watts for a while, then tapers down to 25 watts till the end of the 1024m test..

Pretty amazing what Microsoft was able to do here since it's passively cooled (NO FAN!). Temps stabilize at 67c for the duration of the 1024m test.

6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    @Diversion, care to post pics of your setup for the SP7 i5? :)

Could you also show/compare what SP7 does without TS too?

7. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - Can you please check this video that TS doesn't start until I choose Performance profile but i don't know how to add it :)

8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just simply setting the CPU Core to -40mv and Cache to -40mv.. To get the most "bang" from the benchmark I let the device idle for a while.

I think i'm actually unstable though.. I got a random bluescreen doing normal stuff.

Also, Microsoft just pushed a new bios/firmware update yesterday and it seems to have changed the performance of the SP7.. it's slower now :( They probably changed the wattage behavior for battery life because it doesn't seem to hold as much watts for as long as it did yesterday.

Edit: Actually performance seems to be identical but the unit just warms a little warmer at idle, same temps under load.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
  10. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth likes this.