The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. HagsterZx

HagsterZx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone with i7-7700hq, or lenovo y720 and want to share some settings with me?because i can't make him stable

Attached Files:

2. naskue

naskue Newbie

Reputations:
    alright, i need some help...
    i have a i5 8250u 8gb ram, intel uhd graphics 620. with your software, this set was able to get a good 60 frames in a cenibench test after undervolting everything to 110.
    thats great
    after the BSOD bootloop, the settings became permanent, i did test it again to see if the frame count was the same, indeed.
    now after the third reset...throttle stop will not open, even with mfc120.dll installed into the system 32 and WOW 64 folders, still does not open... how do i go about fixing this

3. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was trying to use TS with my wifes notebook but I was not able to see "Fivr" option. Is Pentium N3700 compatible with TS?

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    When lightly loaded, your multiplier should be fairly high. When heavily loaded on battery power, your laptop will throttle to protect the battery.

Start by under volting the core and cache equally. If you are going to under volt the Intel GPU, you need to under volt the GPU and the iGPU Unslice equally. I would not under volt the iGPU until I had the CPU under volt working reliably.

If you used some unstable settings and had a few BSOD issues, there is a good chance that Windows Defender has put ThrottleStop on its bad list and that is what is preventing ThrottleStop from starting. I have been using Windows Defender for months without any issues. You might have to try switching over to the free version of Avast to get Windows Defender off of your back.

Hopefully you were not manually copying files into these Windows directories. The proper way to install the mfc120 libraries is to go to Microsoft, download the x86 and x64 versions and on a 64 bit operating system, install both of these. No need to copy anything, anywhere. Let the installer put the mfc files in the appropriate directories.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032938/update-for-visual-c-2013-redistributable-package

The N3700 does not use a FIVR like the 4th Gen and up Core i CPUs use. That is why you will not see a FIVR button when running ThrottleStop on one of these CPUs. You should still be able to under volt. You just have to do things a little differently. Post some screenshots to refresh my memory.

HORRIFIDO and tilleroftheearth like this.
  5. onrblbl

Reputations:
    Options.png TPL.png TS Bench.png

@unclewebb TS doesn't accept when i change voltage. Hope you will have some ideas.

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    On these CPUs, the multiplier and voltage ID are in the same CPU register. You have to check the Set Multiplier box so the multiplier and voltage ID will be sent to the processor.

For best results, you should also use the Windows High Performance power profile. This profile is often times not available on these low power devices. There was some good advice in this forum just a few pages ago about how to access this power profile when Windows has it hiding.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1070#post-10968232

Your temps look great so do not be afraid to increase the turbo long power value up from 3W to 5W.

Even if you are successful at adjusting the voltage, these are low power devices so there might not be much to be gained. The Pentium N series had more in common with the older Core 2 technology but generally performed worse. Here is an apples to apples comparison. I locked my 4th Gen 4700MQ to 2700 MHz and ran a 4 Thread TS Bench test. This is an easy way to compare how Intel technology is progressing.

[​IMG]

A time of 21.99 seconds is world's better compared to the 60 second times that your Pentium N is running at a similar speed. The Pentium N was designed for long battery run time so performance was sacrificed.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  7. onrblbl

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - I've increased the turbo long power value up from 3W to 5W and set Multiplier box. Much better result.

Attached Files:

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Being able to run indefinitely at the 2.4 GHz burst frequency is as good as it gets for the Pentium N3700.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-n3700-2m-cache-up-to-2-40-ghz.html

Thanks for posting your results. A lot of people do not realize that ThrottleStop supports many Intel CPUs since the Core 2 Duo era, including the Pentium N series. Maybe someday I will have a weak moment and I will go out and buy an Ice Lake 10th Gen Core i CPU. ThrottleStop works OK on these but there is always room for improvement.

tilleroftheearth and 0lok like this.
  9. onrblbl

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - You're very welcome, I do thank you for your help.

unclewebb likes this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update on Dell XPS 15 9550 (6300HQ i5).

"Limit reasons" shows nothing now with benchmarks or gaming. I update BIOS-drivers-OS frequently so can't pinpoint what changed.

Anyway, if you are running one of these XPS models (which are essentially similar for 4 generations) and running into odd "limit reasons", wholesale update might help.