The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Come on. A 3 point difference is equivalent to a difference of only 0.1%. When benchmarking a Windows 10 computer, a difference of 0.1% is completely meaningless.

I have a fairly lean computer and at the moment, the Task Manager shows that there are approximately 1300 to 1400 threads constantly running in the background. There is no way to control this background activity. These threads need to be continuously processed while your benchmark is running. How long each thread occupies the CPU is completely random. Each time a thread needs to be processed, your benchmark stops. A difference of 0.1% only confirms what I said, there should be no meaningful difference between High Performance and Balanced, especially during a long extended benchmark that has fully loaded the CPU.

Your Cinebench R20 scores are improving but you still have a ways to go.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1064#post-10965092

@Prema and @Mr. Fox are setting the bar. Their laptops are the ones that all other 9750H CPUs will be compared to.

Head to the paste store immediately and start shopping. Thermal throttling is a sign that you have been sitting on your hands for too long. Time to get to work. ThrottleStop can help with throttling problems but it is no substitute for basic maintenance. It is normal for the heatsinks in laptops to get dirty over time and it is normal for heatsinks to be installed in a half ass manner on any laptop produced on an assembly line. If you are after maximum performance, it is up to you to fix these problems.

Prema, Papusan, Valued17 and 4 others like this.
  2. lucidchaos

lucidchaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Definitely +1 to the repaste and deep cleaning of your heat sinks and fans. I just repasted mine today with the same paste but slightly more as it didn't completely spread to one corner of the die. Temp dropped by about 10c, and nearly completely eliminated throttling.

I say nearly as I haven't found a way around long term PL throttling. I'll go from solid 39 multiplier to 38.3ish with the PL throttle during cinebench or back-to-back 1024k TSbench runs.

3. Valued17

Valued17 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did thermal repaste today with Arctic Mx 4, thats what I could get locally. Now, when I run TS Bench, I get nothing on Limit Reasons. Guess thats a good thing ?

[​IMG]

lucidchaos likes this.
  4. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "Certain" people posting in this thread have set near impossible standards for scores made by 9750h's in benchmarking software and I'm nearing my wits end. For us mere mortals its like chasing the dragon, sorta. Of course, its a little fun as well ;)

I've managed to eke some more out of mine, mainly through tweaking running background services in Windows which allowed me to cross the 3200 mark in r20 and 1300 mark in r15. I don't think I can get much more out of it now as no limits are being triggered, it runs at a steady 40x. The only thing I can think of would be to make an extremely stripped down clean custom Windows install to maybe get a few points more. Also, CPUs are not created equal, and I suppose there are other components in the system that might have a slight effect as well (RAM speed and timings perhaps?).

Nevertheless, learning Throttlestop and playing with this have been educational :)

PS! Do anyone know why I get PL2 flags if I set turbo time limit to more than the default "28" for my CPU in Throttlestop? Does not happen otherwise, nor is the CPU anywhere near the power limits set.

the_cinebenchs.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    HORRIFIDO likes this.
  5. lucidchaos

lucidchaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, that's exactly what you want to see :D How do the core/package temps look?

6. Valued17

Valued17 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Up to 10 degrees of difference. I haven't done much testing though but now the fans don't run as much and its much silent overall.

7. Sig. Duck

Sig. Duck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb sorry to bother you but i need your help!

While my pc was running on battery i did some bench test and i noticed my CPU was throttling. it's supposed to run at x40 but it only reach x31.
    Looking at Limit reasons, PL2 is glowing red so i can say CPU is throttling because it is trying to exceed the PL2 power limit which is set by default to 90 Watts, but during the test I never exceeded 30watts. As always, I made some screenshots.

After that, i plugged in my pc and did the same bench test...this time, no red light was glowing in limit reasons, no black dot on "Throttle button" on the main screen of ThrottleStop and the wattage was higher (like 58/60 Watts) but the multiplier was 39....

Do you have any idea why this happens?

Image 1.png Image 2.png

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Don't expect full performance on battery. See... The firmware will most likely override any PL1 and 2 limits when running on battery. This to protect the battery. And for the records... 39x is max for all 4 cores.
    Core i5-8300H - WikiChip

Try light load as 2 threads instead for 8 threads when you run the benchmark. With less power consumption I expext you'll see higher clock speed than 31x.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Sig. Duck and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Questions from users are never a bother. It is how I learn about ThrottleStop and answering questions gives me something to do. Your screenshots show that when on battery power, PL2 throttling is being triggered and your CPU is being limited to approximately 30 Watts. This type of throttling is being used to protect your battery from permanent damage. Running the TS Bench or Prime95 or any benchmark that significantly stresses your CPU or GPU while running on battery power is never a good idea.

Do you want to risk damaging your battery? If yes, try using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. This might prevent your laptop from dropping down to a safe 30 Watts. A single run up to 60 Watts might be enough to kill your battery. If your battery and laptop and house catch on fire, you were warned.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new...oding-laptop-in-california-video-870312515737

10. Sig. Duck

Sig. Duck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks guys, your answers and warnings are very appreciated and every time i get an answer i learn something more about how to use throttlestop and also....not to set my house and ass on fire:D

is there anything i can do to reach higher multiplier when i'm on battery?