The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Time for bed, but I wanted to leave this right here before I go...
    upload_2019-11-19_23-8-13.png

Papusan, Vasudev, unclewebb and 3 others like this.
  2. lucidchaos

lucidchaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm using Win10 Pro 1903. Getting mixed results with which system dominates depending on if I'm plugged in or on battery.

Plugged In: Each time I change the power slider on the battery tray, Windows very briefly takes over control, but TS takes it back. I have my max
    Best performance: 63 (TS immediately sets my power profile setting, 0)
    Mid Point: 84 (TS immediately sets to 0)
    Best Battery Life: 84 (TS immediately sets to 0)

On battery: TS takes back control on the "Best Performance" setting, but does not on the other three.
    Best Performance: 64 (TS sets to my battery setting of 223)
    Better Performance: 127 (TS does not regain control)
    Better Battery: 178 (TS does not regain control)
    Battery Saver: 178 (TS does not regain control)

Hey guys, I've been working to understand why a couple of my cores get much hotter when under TSBench load. Bench scores and stability seem to be fine, but core 4 is thermal throttling pretty bad, followed by core 2. After my initial repaste, all cores never throttled ... until I reinstalled windows and started getting my tweaking stuff in place.

I'm also getting PL1 and Ring:Other throttle flags before the thermal limit is reached.

upload_2019-11-20_6-30-20.png

3. kpkepkw

kpkepkw Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings.
    I was been using the Throttlestop on Windows. Recently, I changed my OS to Linux/FreeBSD(dual boot). I have been searching a way to Undervolt my CPU since.
    I learned that 0x150 register is used to control voltage, but it doesn't exist on Ivy Bridge and older series. I have pentium T3200.
    I read the intel developers manual but couldn't get any clue.

Which MSR is used on pentiums for Undervolting?

@unclewebb

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    On Core 2 Duo related CPUs, check out MSR 0x199. That MSR should contain both the multiplier and VID voltage request. When using Windows it is best to use the High Performance power profile so Windows does not overwrite this register.

@lucidchaos - If you are having problems with some cores running much hotter than others while all cores are equally loaded, you might have to try redoing the thermal paste, again. Sometimes the heatsink does not sit flat on the CPU so some cores run hotter than the others. Next time you take it apart, have a really good look for any sign of unevenness.

As for Speed Shift, if Microsoft considers an EPP setting of 63 or 64 to be best performance, that is nothing but a lie. EPP = 0 is the one and only best performance setting. I still use the Control Panel - Power Options to set the power profile and I always set it to High Performance.

On my computer, Windows 10 had the High Performance power profile hiding so I opened up a command window and used this command.

powercfg /s SCHEME_MIN

To go back to the Balanced power profile you can enter this command:

powercfg /s SCHEME_BALANCED

Using the high performance power profile seems to be the best way to keep Windows from interfering with ThrottleStop. After using the above command, then you can find the High Performance option in its usual spot.

[​IMG]

@Mr. Fox - I think I see a new TS Bench record. Congratulations. :vbthumbsup:

Papusan, lucidchaos and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  6. HORRIFIDO

HORRIFIDO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After seeing your processors tuned so well (congrats @Mr. Fox), I started testing the i9750H with the Cinebench R20.

With the same values that the TS test passed without alerts (neither yellow nor red), some yellow alerts appear on the R20 and also, Throttling but with maximum temperatures of 82 ºC????

How can this be possible?

The result, if anyone is interested, was 3125 points.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to edit options in the BIOS to get this tickbox to un-greyed out?

upload_2019-11-21_15-44-13.png

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Well, 3125 is not a bad score and 82°C is a good temperature for a thin and light notebook. If you can stay below the thermal throttling point on any of these chintzy thin and light turdbooks that, in and of itself, is a major accomplishment.

Sounds like you are making good progress on the tuning as well. Sometimes the yellow and red reason flags cannot be resolved by tuning. Sometimes the firmware is so botched up by the manufacturer that no amount of tuning can correct it.

What is your system/model?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  9. HORRIFIDO

HORRIFIDO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is an Asus Rog Strix Scar III G531GV.

Im happy with the temperatures, especially for the silence in idle or low charge, but as i said, throttling started close to 82°C and the clock went to 39x instead of 40. I thought that this only happens close to junction temperature, around 95°C?

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, by Intel specs, but the notebook OEM can manipulate that and cause throttling sooner. Dell/Alienware is notorious for doing this. If you have raised all of the power limits and chosen the option to "Disable and lock turbo power limits" there is little more you can do without unlocked BIOS and mods to change the flags in the BIOS/EC code. If you have not already done so, remove the check mark from the BD PROCHOT box and click the "save" button. Unchecking that box might bring some improvement in premature thermal throttling.