The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. HORRIFIDO

HORRIFIDO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One more thing to discuss. After a few days testing the system and seeing the excellent results in the @Mr. Fox test at -250v, I put the laptop turbo mode with max stable undervolt and:

- Although I only manage to lower stable -110v, his equipment works at a higher voltage (1.19v vs 1.03v) and power (78w vs 62w) than mine. I even have better temperatures and I wonder how to push more the performance.

- I get worse results in turbo mode (high performance) than balanced at 50% ????

Perhaps some equipment drops much more voltage because they come with greater factory excess. What I have clear is that with TS I have managed to lower temperatures (5ºC in games) increasing the performance, so thank you very much @unclewebb.

url=https://ibb.co/DL9FzzM][​IMG][/url

Mr. Fox and M4cr0s like this.
  2. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You and me both man, I've been experimenting and working with this lately as well. Besides of my "VR Thermal" limit issues as mentioned a couple pages back (which I've now definitely pinpointed to be a cooling issue), I'm also trying to find the optimal stable settings for UV and to get my 9750h to run as good as it can. It will do 5.66 on 64M TS bench, 89.67 on 1024M on a fully set up system full of background tasks.

If I do some trickery with the cooling (the VR Thermal thing) I am able to get it to run stable at 40x and it will pull about 70 watts at most. Without any UV, it will pull up to 85w, maybe even more. Clearly a substantial difference in heat. Currently I'm at -105mv cache/-210mv core. VID will then fluctate around 0.9950v under load in TS bench. If I drop core to the same as cache, load VID will be fluctating around 1.0v, but it might simply be variations from run to run. So at best, the extra -100mv offset on core seem to translate into -5mv... effectively. I can push cache down quite a bit more, it will work seemingly stable for days as low as -130 to 140mv, but will occasionally start to throw TS bench errors from -115mv, not consistently, but occasionally (I hate this inconsistency). So, I've adopted a safe margin and experiment with a formula where I simply set core uv to twice that of cache. If it's stable, it's stable, and if actual load VID is lower, that can't be a bad thing, regardless how small :p It definitely has no significant impact on temperatures or watts pulled though. Might be some very minimal bragging rights to the uninformed.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    ha1o2surfer likes this.
  3. magnetoeric

magnetoeric Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having similar setup on my laptop too. Core at -155 and cache at -139. I can uv core by -160, but somehow only gta 5 crashes my system. And uv cache even slightly would give weird artifacts.

4. benoit1906

benoit1906 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi !

I recently upgraded to Windows 1909 and noticed that SpeedShift did not seem to work. Since I need this feature to keep my laptop cool and silent, I reverted back to 1809 for now.

Is this a known bug ? Is there a fix, so that I can upgrade ?

Thanks for this awesome tool !

5. nighthaven

nighthaven Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey,
    I have a laptop that can charge with both USB-C and its power 'brick' - However when I head to work I don't bring 'the beast.'
    - Is there any way I can set Throttlestop to apply a tertiary profile when USB-C charging is detected specfically?

Needles to say, it doesn't get enough juice when charging on USB-C if there's any slightly tingly gpu program running, and I'm running G-sync instead optimus (requires reboot, so I don't).
    I also would like to have it charging at some decent 'pace' too instead of break-even/ slowly-leaking/ slowly-charging.

When I plug it in with USB-C, it will naturally hit the Performance profile - which is 'not optimal for work' whereas when I hit home and plug it in with the beast, I would want it to hit the performance profile as intended.

I do have it set up for a battery profile, but that's not what I'm talking about...

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I am still using Windows 10 - 1809. It might be a while before I do any ThrottleStop testing on Windows 10 - 1909.

It is now. Thanks for reporting that the ThrottleStop Speed Shift adjustment is not compatible with Windows 10 - 1909.

Since you have gone back to 1809, you will not be able to do any testing for me. If anyone else is using 1909, try doing this.

Set the Speed Shift EPP value on the main screen of ThrottleStop, open up the FIVR window and check the monitoring table. Does it show something different for Speed Shift EPP? Try using different Windows power plans to see if ThrottleStop or Windows is in control of the EPP setting. The Windows High Performance power plan used to set EPP to 0 and would not actively interfere with this setting. That allowed ThrottleStop to control EPP without any issues. Maybe that is no longer the case in 1909. If ThrottleStop does not give you any control over the EPP setting that the CPU is using as verified by the FIVR value, you will have to allow Windows to manage this setting.

@nighthaven - I am not sure how to test for charging by power brick or charging by USB-C. At the moment, all you can do is set up multiple profiles within ThrottleStop and manually switch between them. Set up some keyboard shortcuts to simplify this.

7. HORRIFIDO

HORRIFIDO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi! I tested SShift today in 1909. I could always change the values, even trying different power plans. In my case, TS rules over Windows; so good news :)

8. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm seeing the same with build 1903 that I for some reason have. Works just fine.

9. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SpeedShift working fine in my Win 10 1909 build too.

Is it possible to get XTU and Throttlestop playing nice together? I like that I can switch clock speeds on my CPU quickly using the profiles on TS but I have found a way to access the built in XTU menu in my BIOS and would like to apply the undervolts at BIOS level rather than OS.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    On many systems XTU settings do not actually change BIOS values. It varies by system as well as the settings to be applied. Most laptop manufacturers (evil bastards) take steps to block the BIOS changes, just as they hide the menu access in the BIOS UI. So, in most cases XTU settings are temporary and applicable only in Windows. In that respect, no different than ThrottleStop and nothing to be gained.

Papusan likes this.