The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First of all, thank you for your work on this wonderful tool!

XTU is definitely an unreliable thing, you right. While you say about your procrastination issues, I've got another. I'm trying to understand any software without reading a guide :) So you can understand my frustration when I'm trying to use ThrottleStop. But that's in the past someway, I read the guide and understood some things.

I've got a laptop with Intel Core i7-8750H. When I run intense CPU app i've got some short time turbo boost, over 50W,
    Screenshot 2019-11-15 16.01.11.png
    but then it drops to default 45W.
    Screenshot 2019-11-15 16.01.50.png
    Any way to lock it forever?

As I understand I need to set values here:
    Screenshot 2019-11-15 16.00.12.png

But it's not working. Doesn't affect time short turbo boost works...

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Do you have this enabled? If not, give that a try. There will be an "install" button to download the RwDrv.sys file.
    upload_2019-11-15_6-57-20.png

Papusan likes this.
  3. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Безымянный.png

I installed this file and set everything as on the image. No changes. But now I can't move this slider and uncheck these boxes. Why?

Okay, i've checked limit reasons and saw following stuff:

While i've got 58W PL 1, PL 2 and EDP OTHER are yellow. When it goes down to 45W PL1 and EDP OTHER became red. What does it mean?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It might be because the "Lock" boxes are checked. Uncheck them and then try shutting down and cold booting. If that still does not work then delete the ThrottleStop.ini file and reapply your settings from scratch.

You can set the power limits higher than what the CPU is capable of without any adverse effects. I just set them to the maximum value allowed (4095 and 1023) and leave them there. I do that on all computers. All you are doing is removing caps on power limits. It won't affect thermals or voltage.

Your CPU can probably pull between 75-100W sustained if the firmware isn't botched up too badly. My 9750H holds about 83W and full turbo clocks in Cinebench R20 without triggering any yellow or red reasons. The stock power limits are too low.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Maleko48 and Papusan like this.
  5. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What does clamp checkbox do? And mean.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Maybe @unclewebb can elaborate. I am not certain what it does, or that it works with modern CPUs. It could be something that is for older CPUs/chipsets, but I do not see any documentation on it in the guides.

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    My theory has always been, if you need a guide, you probably should not be using ThrottleStop. Luckily the user community has come forward and now there are lots and lots of guides and YouTube videos available that can show a person how to use ThrottleStop.

If you have set ThrottleStop to 58 Watts and you have checked the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature and your CPU is still throttling to 45 Watts, that means the laptop you bought is a bit of a dud. The manufacturer has decided to set a hard limit of 45 Watts in the EC and it is refusing to let you, the person that paid the bill, to go beyond 45 Watts. I guess that is within their legal right but personally, I would put it back in the box and tell them that they can have it.

I think "Back in the Box" will be my new slogan. If you cannot get full speed out of your CPU while using ThrottleStop, Back in the Box it goes.

Follow @Mr. Fox like a stalker. His new laptop has a 9750H that is literally on top of the world. You will not see him wasting his time trying to work around some pathetic manufactures 45 Watt throttling limit. No patience for that.

Clamp applies to both old and new Core i CPUs. For an example, the 8750H has a default speed of 2.2 GHz. When a CPU reaches a turbo boost power limit, if Clamp is not checked, at most, it should only throttle away the turbo boost so your CPU should not drop below 2.2 GHz. If you check the Clamp option, your CPU will first throttle away all the turbo boost and it might continue to throttle and run below 2.2 GHz. It will throttle and throttle some more so it does not exceed whatever the power limit is set to. The Clamp option is a bigger problem for the low power U CPUs that have ridiculously low (15W) turbo power limits. That is why I do not use the Clamp option. Extra throttling is not for me.

Because you checked the Lock option. This locks the turbo power limit register so nothing can change it, not even ThrottleStop. To unlock this is a bit of a pain. Easiest thing to do is exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI config file, shut down your computer and then restart it. Hopefully the bios is smart enough to unlock the power limit register.

One last thing to try. In situations where the Disable and Lock feature is not solving your problem, try going into sleep mode and then resuming. This confuses some laptops and allows the Disable feature to start working so you can get beyond 45 Watts. This is a long shot so do not get your hopes up too high.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    wow 5.5, that's nice. I have a 5.9 sitting in my 64m as my best from a couple weeks ago! 8750h Thanks to TS that is

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  9. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is most certainly some playing around to do when it comes to these voltages. I have heard they are linked but my past 3 laptops this wasn't the case. I almost feel like the cache is messing with the core voltage in some exponential way. setting a large cache undervolt can drop the core voltage much lower then just setting the core voltage alone

Core voltage never gives me blue-screens, until I touch the cache in conjunction with the core voltage.

I have ran TS over and over with some numbers and right now, i have theses. (attached) This causes the internal TS bench to use 60+ watts at .9852v. if I put the cache even .2 more, it'll bluescreen. but I can max out the core voltage with some improvents under load but so small I can't really say for sure. Resetting the core voltage to 0 causes a 1.2v under TS load. whoa

Setting cache to 0 causes a 1.1v to be used under TS load lol

so clearly i am still confused how the two interact.

Attached Files:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    There is a fair amount of inconsistency in firmware from one model/manufacturer to the next. They all do things pretty sloppy and haphazard. Other than thermal management challenges, you should be able to run the same (or very similar) settings on all brands with the same CPU, but that's not the case. The way one system reacts to settings can be totally different than another brand with identical specs due to varying levels of firmware engineering incompetence mixed with plain old-fashioned not given a damn how things turn out. Very stupid and unfortunate that things are that way.

ha1o2surfer likes this.