The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. snixel

snixel Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb if I set Uncore voltage to +125mv in BIOS do I also need to apply this in Throttlestop or would this result in a 250mv increase?
    Same for the core voltage offset, can I set the same core offset in BIOS as in Throttlestop?

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop 8.71
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=13oct4bjb0L-YObhuNocjVsnNroyIsmLc

New Features
    - new option to set FIVR offset voltages to zero when entering Windows Sleep mode.
    - reporting of maximum multiplier in FIVR Turbo Ratio Limits.
    - updated link to The ThrottleStop Guide (2019) at Ultrabook Review.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only a couple of minor updates. This new feature will zero the offset voltage just before entering Sleep mode which might help the CPU resume from Sleep mode more reliably. Some laptops have problems resuming when using under volts that are on the edge of stability.

The other feature should show the default maximum turbo multiplier.

This version is not signed. If you do not need these new features, I would continue using TS 8.70.6.

@snixel - I have no idea what laptop you have or what CPU model. I also have no idea what your bios voltage options are doing to your CPU. I know some desktop motherboards have voltage options in the bios that completely bypass the FIVR voltage options that ThrottleStop lets you access. When that is the case, making adjustments in ThrottleStop will not make any voltage changes to your CPU. All you can do is your own hands on testing. Try finding a forum specific to your motherboard or laptop. Monitor voltages with HWiNFO or HWMonitor. If you can control your CPU voltage using the bios, maybe you do not need to be running ThrottleStop.

4W4K3, Mr. Fox, t456 and 2 others like this.
  3. lucidchaos

lucidchaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just chiming in after doing extensive testing over the last couple weeks in an effort to completely eliminate throttling. XPS 9570 w/ i7-8750H, repasted with Noctua NT-H1. The repaste did make an appreciable difference with temps.

Tested with Prime95 default torture test for one hour. Stable @ -248mV core, -124mV cache.

Just ran a suite of benchmarks back-to-back. Zero limiting in TS. It appears the 16 thread 1024M test was brutal with a couple of cores, inflating the max temp, but still keeping it under throttle threshold.

The TS bench scores are first-run. No re-running to try for a better time, just testing for any throttling.
    upload_2019-11-8_9-10-38.png

FIVR:
    upload_2019-11-8_9-16-8.png

TPL:
    upload_2019-11-8_9-16-36.png

Chrome and HWinfo64 were open as I was doing the benching. Here's the HWinfo64 log. IA max turbo limit and IA turbo attenuation were tripped, but that is to be expected.
    upload_2019-11-8_9-12-24.png

Attached Files:

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Can you see if offset voltage is added if you start up ThrottleStop with cleaned out INI file?

Maleko48 and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    Maleko48 and Papusan like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Got it! Thanks @unclewebb

upload_2019-11-9_22-29-57.png

Papusan likes this.
  7. zilla0617

zilla0617 Newbie

Reputations:
    How do you upgrade Throttlestop? I know it's a simple method, just can't remember. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    To upgrade, copy new ThrottleStop.exe into your ThrottleStop folder. This will overwrite the old version.

Does new TS show the max turbo multis correctly in the FIVR window?

Maleko48, zilla0617 and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. zilla0617

zilla0617 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes it does. Thank you

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

unclewebb and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. pantezuma

pantezuma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to share a weird thing here.
    I have a Lenovo e490s laptop, with an I7-8565u processor (Quad Core, Turbo 4.6 Ghz).
    I was able to undervolt it to -95mv with complete stability at TS Bench Single Core (The most demanding for stability).
    The thing here is that this laptop is a 15w TDP laptop so it will always throttle a lot whenever more than one core is needed.
    So just tried an underclock limiting it to 3.9 Ghz (Turbo) and increasing undervolting to -120mv.
    The results are that except for single core test, on each multi core test the results are better this way (because of fixed TDP limit and additional undervolt achieved).
    Additionally the computer runs much cooler and haven't noticed any slowdown or crash at all.
    So, my guess is that for this kind of TDP limited laptops buying an I7 is a waste of money.
    Now wondering if I will leave it running as an I5 with more L3 cache or undo all these changes.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    Maleko48 likes this.