The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Makes you wonder why so many laptop owners are brain washed. Intel XTU does not allow setting these voltages independently. You would think that improved temps is something everyone would want in a laptop.

My 7th Gen desktop board also has the core and cache offsets locked together in the bios. I guess Asus must have been drinking the blue Kool-Aid that Intel was passing around at one of their tech conferences. It has always been possible to access these 2 voltages independently since the 4th Gen Haswell was introduced.

I was not thinking about AVX offset. I was wondering if the temperature advantage you are seeing by setting the core and cache offset voltages independently has anything to do with the type of code being run. I thought I heard something like that a long time ago but it is all a blur. Maybe only code with a heavy dose of AVX instructions benefits from a big difference in offset voltages or maybe the opposite is true. Not too important, just curious.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am not sure what the default cache min and max are for the 9750H. I'll have to find that info and then I can test that to see if it has issues running stock cache ratio like you did.

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, it looks like the default cache min/max for this CPU is 8 and 42. I set the BIOS values to zero (auto) and that is what they are when I delete the ThrottleStop.ini file prior to launch. I reapplied the core and cache undervolts and it is perfectly stable. I do not know if that is what you are looking for or not. See attached screen shots.

Yes, I have SpeedStep enabled in the BIOS. SpeedShift is currently disabled, but I don't see a great deal of difference enabled or disabled. I have c-states enabled in the BIOS, but "enhanced c-states" is disabled. I also have both the latency and time values for each c-state set to 1. I have all of the power limits set to 1000W just so there will be no limit to the amount of power the CPU can draw other than its own functional limitations.

Attached Files:

unclewebb and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    for the 2 screenshot. do they reflect same voltage reading under hwinfo during load?

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's what mine does any time I try to use separate cache/core voltages, it only does whatever the cache is set to. I've yet to get any gain in temps or voltage readings when going with a higher core than cache undervolt.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The VID under load is slightly less, and so is the power draw (watts) with the core voltage set lower than the cache voltage. The difference is not a lot, but the load temps are also lower, which is really the only reason it actually matters.

Attached Files:

ole!!! and tilleroftheearth like this.
  7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Is that reproducible? Undervolting by an additional .15v and the resulting .01v drop seems like a margin of error to me.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It is on my laptop. I have already shown it several times. Not sure it will be the same on every brand. Might vary by whatever firmware cancer a machine is running. It may also have something to do with other BIOS settings I am using in conjunction, including the -100mOhm LLC.

tilleroftheearth and 4W4K3 like this.
  9. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Sorry so you mean it's reproducible? That 0.01v doesn't seem to be a realistic finding when trying to undervolt by an additional 0.15v...

*on edit* is the -100mOhm LLC on both TS settings?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, I have that set in the BIOS.

There is not much that is realistic where laptops are concerned, because most of what we have the joy of dealing with resembles a sadistic joke. I've never found voltage settings applied in a laptop BIOS to be precise. Even with 6700K, 7700K and 8700K the voltage settings were seldom precise. If you do not lock down the VDROOP, set spread spectrum to 0%, use static voltage and set LLC really tight, the BIOS settings are seldom close to what you want and expect them to be and you have to run load tests to find out what voltage really gets applied. then overshoot values applied as "settings" LOL.

It is also difficult to find confidence in sensor accuracy. When you see a change in behavior or results (like temps) and do not see a remarkable change in the sensor readings, I question whether the sensors are accurate. I also think part of the time the sensors are reporting a value for a different component than what their label suggests.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    custom90gt likes this.