The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks!

What is AC Timer Res doing exactly?

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Every task on a Windows computer gets a fixed amount of time to complete the task. Windows has been using the default 15.625 ms time slice since the Windows 3.1 era and probably even before that. CPUs are much, much faster compared to then so maybe in 2019, the default time slice is too big. With modern CPUs cruising along at 4 billion cycles per second, 15.625 ms is like an eternity.

The AC Timer Resolution lets a user adjust this setting. In the Options window, Timer Resolution (ms) shows the timer resolution that Windows is currently using. This value is only updated when you first open the Options window. Windows compares timer resolution requests from all programs running on your computer and then uses the lowest requested value.

A ThrottleStop request of 16 should get you a Timer Resolution of 15.625 ms as long as some other software on your computer has not requested less.

[​IMG]

Google Chrome likes to adjust this value when you go to different sites. A lower value can be useful for sites that contain video. A lower value might smooth out some games.

Just something to play with. Some games might already be setting this to a low value. In that situation, trying to change this in ThrottleStop will not have any effect because Windows always uses the lowest request.

ha1o2surfer likes this.
  3. amihail91

Reputations:
    Mines requesting 0.997 o_O

upload_2019-10-9_22-57-7.png

What about that 0.5 ms patch? :p

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    unclewebb likes this.
  5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    In your screenshot, AC Timer Res is set to 10 ms. That means ThrottleStop is requesting 10 ms. Some other software on your computer must be requesting 1 ms (0.997). It is typical for Google Chrome to do this. That is why some people complain that they get poor battery run time when using Chrome. A low Timer value will interrupt the CPU more often, keeping it awake, when the CPU should be idle in one of the deep C states, saving power.

I agree. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  6. Ernesto Cardoza

Ernesto Cardoza Newbie

Reputations:

Hi, I have a 8th gen cpu (i7-850h) in a msi gp63 8RE. First, english is not my first language, so I apologize in avance if I make grammar mistakes.

Second, in spanish there aren't so many guides to follow and some of them are wrong when I compare the steps with the english guides. So, I look info just in english.

I have done all the steps (the basics, like notebookreview guide), but I keep having thermal issues when I run tsbench, the cinebench and the aida test. But, in cinebench I have a record of 2700 cb points.

I don't know what else to do, I want to reduce the thermal and keep a good performance. I will apreciate your help.

I share my captures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I also have an error when I run the 1024m testbench:

[​IMG]

Should I increase o decrease the undervolt to avoid this problem?

I share my log: https://pastebin.com/raw/Qz7naJaT

Thanks in avance.

7. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you are having error during ts bench than you need to lower your voltage for core and cache.
    Try for example -120 instead of -135 and than check ts bench. if ok than make -121 if still ok go for - 122 and so on.
    As for your UV for iGPU than probably it is not working, you need set both intel igpu and igpu unslice equal like core and cache, for example both -60.
    As you are having msi laptop I need to ask if you have done AC DC loadline calibration explained by @Falkentyne. Probably not.
    You need move to bios and set AC DC loadline calibration to 1 under vr core ia domain. you can also set ther current for 928 which should help with throttle.
    I alson find that setting ac dc LL calibration for other domains like igpu and system agent also helps a bit. You need to remember to reset your UV in ts because you wont be able to uv by that amount aftet that. probably not more than -50 for all but all in all you will have bettet temps after that.

Another thing is from what I can see is that you have some huge disproportion betwean hottest and coldest cpu core which can mean that you need to reaply thermal paste or in worse scenario you can have uneven contact betwean your heatsink and cpu die and you might need to work on that.

If you are not afraid and first check for uneven haetsink you may use liquid metal which will massivly help with your temps. we got here nice thread about application of LM and foam barriers which you can read.

If not brave enough to use LM than try some high end thermal paste like Phobya Nanogrease Extreme 16W/mK or TG Kryonaut 12.5W/mK

And by the way set all iccmax to highest values

On msi lap you can also try to OC your mem. From my personal observations I can say that the faster the ram is, the lower the power consumption of cpu is. But if someone could confirm that. personaly moving from 2666mhz to 3193 mhz made reduce of arround 1 - 2 W during ts bench. My explain for that is thatbthe cpu can faster finish tasks so it can be a bit cooler

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  8. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    it can.. I flashed a new BIOS with security fixes for my Dell G7 and they seemed to have blocked access to the EC (even in linux I can't dump the registers anymore). When i have "disable and lock turbo power limits" enabled in TS, my laptop locks up for 4-5 seconds randomly. If I open RWEverything and click "EC" my laptop stops charging, keyboard light flashes, it locks up and hard drives become read only it seems as windows acts like you unplugged it's main boot drive and after 5 minutes the nvidia driver crashes. It's a repeatable process. It's super strange and super sad.

Off Topic: the dell power manager seems to communicate with the EC. When you set it to "quiet" it can throttle the CPU and not set any flags in throttle stop. Just like it does when it throttles to 45 watts at 80 seconds on ultra performance mode. Trying to figure out how it communicates but no go yet. I tried modifying UEFI registers for slope and offset but the EC must have the final say regardless because it doesn't work like it did on my HP X360 with the 8550u

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  9. Ernesto Cardoza

Ernesto Cardoza Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply.

First, I follow your instructions and the limit was -131.8 on cache and core, but I still have thermal issues. About the iccmax values, should I increase to the highest values on both (cache and core)?

Second, I set the same value on igpu and unslice. What about in system agent?

Third, I haven´t done the acdc loadline calibration. I've been reading about that, but I still don't know how to unlock the bios.

Fourth, the thermal paste and the heatsink problem it's a really bad new. I have never reaply a thermal paste and I know that open this laptop it's kind a difficult.

Finally, I will look for info about overclocking my mem.

Thank you, I will send more captures and data when I have made the changes.

10. amihail91

Reputations:
    Anyone else noticing slighlty better performance and temps with SpeedShift disabled letting Windows 10 handle it with EPP?