The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Daveed84

Daveed84 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a peculiar problem... I just built a new gaming PC, with a 9700K CPU and an Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi motherboard, and the CPU is permanently throttled to 800 MHz, even in the UEFI/BIOS. ThrottleStop indicates BD PROCHOT, and toggling it off does restore the CPU back to its normal operating speeds. RealTemp and HWMonitor both indicate that temperatures are totally within normal and safe levels (~35C idle, ~75C under load). Disabling "Thermal Monitoring" in the CPU configuration in the BIOS has the same effect as toggling off BD PROCHOT in ThrottleStop, but I'm not sure it's safe to use long-term. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this, or if RMA'ing the motherboard would be the best course of action at this stage?

2. ihueco

ihueco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can try to undervolt core and cache individually and see if only one of them is the problem. Maybe you can get the hardware checked for errors or something saying that it is throttling. Just make sure to reset the undervolt if you are going to to that. For last resort, you could as I said just reduce the turbo ratio limits or even disable turbo completely. I know it sucks to lose that performance, but depending on the game you are playing it might not matter that much anyway.
    EDIT: Maybe your tests/games are for some reason using the iGPU instead of the GPU, and that is why the iGPU is having problems?
    @unclewebb What are the chances of getting a non-undervoltable cpu.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  3. ihueco

Reputations:
    As of today, I have undervolted iGPU and unslice to -200mv, and it does not seem to crash or reduce temps. I guess my iGPU is disabled after all.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    None. The chips will degrade as the time go and Intel have added in voltage headroom for this scenario.

Ashtrix, tilleroftheearth and ihueco like this.
  5. ihueco

Reputations:
    I see. Does this mean as time go and chips degrade undervolting will start to crash even when it was stable before?

6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Ashtrix, c69k, joluke and 1 other person like this.
  7. ihueco

Reputations:
    I want to make sure I understood it properly. So conclusion is yes it will degrade to a point where it might not be stable because of not getting enough voltage, but since I am undervolting, it will degrade slower and possibly will not degrade enough before I change the laptop or other parts fail first.

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, higher voltage+high temp will degrade the chips faster. With undervolt this will take longer time. But high heat will decrease the advantage. And no chips is equal and you won’t know when your chips go up into the hardware heaven. From the picture I added. Some will die faster and some will stay alive longer. None know before the time has come:vbbiggrin: Maybe you already have sold your laptop before the time has come:p

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. artic_squirrel

artic_squirrel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I manage to get the 8265U on my 13'' lenovo laptop to stay around 20W, with the Disable and Lock feature. With the test for 8 threads and size 1024MB, it says around 18 watts. I would like to try to reach higher Watts, but so far I fail. Can you share a picture of your settings for both TPL and FIVR ?

also, is there any way to increase the prochot temp to 95 deg, instead of 90.

10. Samchanchan11

Samchanchan11 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm trying to use MSI Afterburner to undervolt for the first time. I'm guessing for that I need enable voltage control/monitoring? But on the tooltip I shouldn't unlock it if I'm using other program that does similar thing (which I guess TS does). So... Is it safe to enable the voltage control/monitor with TS running?