The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ihueco

ihueco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So you are telling me to go ahead and crash my laptop for science:D. Why is it that if I undervolt iGPU and unslice it will eventually crash even though my intel graphics is disabled?

2. Samchanchan11

Samchanchan11 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Can I ask you a curiosity question? Why is it when I run TSBench, it took only 58W package power for my i-9750H to reach max 40 FID on all cores but it requires Cinebench R20, 70W to get it to 40 (at 55W it only reach 37 FID). Anyway, thanks to your TS and all the guides I've read here I finally got the processor running at max without any power limit/temp throttling. I'm thinking of increasing the 6 cores turbo limit higher as long as it keep the cpu under 90 degree (at 70W, it only reach 83 degree so I've some head room to play with)... but I don't know if that's actually possible. We'll see I guess

Edit: Bah it took me a min to change the turbo ratio limits to 45 and the FID won't go above 40 at 6 cores lol. I'm guessing it's locked then by Intel? I was hoping to get higher as long as I can feed it more power. Awww

The 9750h isn't overclockable, and I wasn't looking to overclock it. It can run up 4500 Mhz on a single core, but on full 6 cores will only run up to 4000 Mhz. I never did anything like this before, and was hoping the 4k limit was because of TDP limitation, and thought if I can increase its power intake it would push higher 4100 or 4200 on all 6 cores. But yeah it didn't work

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2019
  3. Bambilambi

Bambilambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A stupid power perhaps, I have read the basic guides and I can undervolt and set max turbo on the CPU (overclock/ underclock max turbo?) and all the basic stuff from the base guide. I am unsure however on one thing.
    I have read some about underclocking the CPU. How do I do that?

For the gpu you do this by changing the core clock speed, (usually overclocking in this case).

Can this be done for a CPU, for example by lowering the base clock from 2.2 GHz. Or some setting where both core and turbo automatically is lowered by 5%.

Or Is it basically only to change the turbo limit sown from 4.1 GHz on the FVIR page or can it be done another way? Like by chaning tdp or another setting.

If someone can direct me to a link or explain this i would really appreciate it. (For a i7-850h for example. I understand that on earlier CPUs you could do that by lowering the multiplier)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    unclewebb likes this.
  4. Theironlefty

Theironlefty Newbie

Reputations:
  5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    If you only knew the kind of abuse I have put my hardware through in the name of science! :D

That is what we do not know yet. You say your iGPU is disabled but it is possible that it is only hiding. If you drop those two voltages and it does not crash then the iGPU must be truly disabled. If you get a BSOD then I think that means the iGPU is not disabled. It is merely hiding. This is really not that important but it is always fun to learn something new. Come on. Do it for the team!

Thanks for the reminder. I completely forgot about PowerCut. You have a 4th Gen CPU so this should work. PowerCut works on my 4700MQ so give it a try.

First adjust the VccIn to approximately 1.80 V and then press Apply. After that, put a check mark in the PowerCut box and hit Apply again. You should see the box to the right of PowerCut change to Enabled. In the monitoring table above that, it should show VCCIN Lock. You will need to reboot or do a Sleep - Resume cycle to unlock VccIn.

Here is an example of my 4700MQ running the TS Bench test at full load and full speed while the CPU thinks it is only consuming 3.5 Watts. No reason to throttle with power consumption that low.

[​IMG]

@Samchanchan11 - If the ThrottleStop FIVR window shows +0 in the Turbo Overclocking box, that means you cannot increase the Turbo Ratio multipliers higher than their default values. I know the 8750H is fully locked and I assume the 9750H is locked too. You need an unlocked processor if you want to have some overclocking fun. (8950HK or 9980HK)

The TS Bench test does not use the newer AVX instructions so when it comes to power consumption, the CPU will consume far less power compared to running any stress test like Prime95 that hammers the CPU with AVX instructions.

I would like to think that the TS Bench is one of the better non-AVX tests. There is a lot of software out there that either does not use or uses very few AVX instructions so you need to be stable with this kind of load too. Users have reported that passing the TS Bench test with 0 errors is a good way to dial in their CPU voltage.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  6. ihueco

ihueco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Aw shiet here we go again:D. Just to be sure, I am supposed to undervolt iGPU, Unslice and System Agent together right?

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The System Agent is responsible for handling IO between the CPU and other domains. I wouldn't put equal undervolt as for iGPU and Unslice (those need equal undervolt). You shouldn't need touch this one. You won't see much effect aka reduced temp if you undervolt System Agent (probably no change in temp).

ihueco likes this.
  8. Samchanchan11

Samchanchan11 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Yeah, Turbo overclocking box shows +0, I guess I reached the limit then. Very happy though as my Cinebench R20 go from 2700s to 3100s (my highest at 3146) just by optimizing with your TS. So, much thanks to you :)

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. Theironlefty

Theironlefty Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Thanks a lot now it doesnt throttle, but i gotta ask is there any dangers to it being unlocked?
    i have read that the VRM's on my t440p can handle 80w

10. Karta

Karta Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

This is my third forum in which I look for help to understand what is happening with my undervolt settings :) Just want to understand/fix it, let me explain:

So I've been diving into CPU Undervolting for my laptop (Asus Rog Scar Strix II GL704GV - Intel 8750H) and came up with many guides and tutorials and decided to give it a try. I managed to get an steady undervolt of -75mV which translated in close-to-zero throttling under heavy load, as opposed to nearly constant throttle with no undervolting at all. I used ThrottleStop, without touching anything but the FIVR Volts for CPU Core and CPU Cache (and sometimes iGPU volts as well). I did not disable BD PROCHOT nor touched Speed Shift - EPP. Touching Speed Shift - EPP ended up in massive lose of performance in benchmarks.

The main issue though is that when I perform the undervolt, the system look stable. Tests are fine, prime can run for hours with no issue, and stress tests do not make the CPU throttle. Everything works. And then, in an irregular basis, the graphics drivers reset (the laptop screen turns black for 2 seconds and then resets, making use of the timeout specified in the TDRDelay in the registry). I am not entirely sure if the GPU drivers resetting are the iGPU ones or the RTX 2060 ones. It happenes both, playing or idling. The issue dissapears as long as the undervolt is not applied. Does any of you have experienced this issue when uv your laptop/Desktop CPU? If so, did you manage to solve it? I tried to uvolting both, the dedicated GPU and the iGPU as well but the issue persisted. It is like if the iGPU or the GPU was not receiving enough juice to process information at a time, hangs and the drivers reboot, or even it is like if the CPU got an issue and resetted the GPU drivers. The music is still playing in the background and I do not lose any information whatsoever (sometimes happened while I was playing WoW and the game resumed fine after the drivers reload).

As stated before, using Speed Shift - EPP ended up to not being able to reproduce the issue, but the performance drops massively, even worse than applying undervolt whatsoever. I can paste you the settings I've been trying with throttlestop if needed, I just didn't want to post a massive wall of info in first place!

Regards and thanks in advance [​IMG] Hope you can shred some light on this!