The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Samchanchan11

Samchanchan11 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ty so much unclewebb, and ty for this amazing, essential program :)

unclewebb likes this.
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Everything is safe to ignore. My goal when using ThrottleStop is so I can achieve maximum performance. Everyone has different goals.

Are you seeing a steady 39.00 multiplier in ThrottleStop, from start to finish, when Cinebench testing? That is a sign of zero throttling. If I owned an 8750H, that would be my goal. For some users, 95% of maximum performance is plenty good enough.

That is throttling. A decent laptop with a properly setup 8750H should be scoring a lot closer to 3000 than 2200 in Cinebench R20. I usually go to HWBOT to see how an 8750H should be running.

https://hwbot.org/submission/4206534_kill4l_cinebench___r20_core_i7_8750h_3147_marks/

Interesting that the top 2 scores for the 8750H were obtained while using ThrottleStop. :vbthumbsup:

If you want EDP Other to go away, try increasing the PP0 Current Limit and the IccMax Current limits.

PL1 and PL2 lighting up in red indicates that power limit throttling is in progress. A CPU limping along will not damage your CPU.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. Outrager

Outrager Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. I do see a steady 3.8x GHz when running several Cinebench scores.

Do you know if audio stuttering 30 min into a game like Gears of War 4 is a sign of too much undervolting?

4. Bubbasqueeze

Bubbasqueeze Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'm getting sometimes a random EDP Other warning on ring

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Only one way to answer that question. Set your under volt back to zero. If you still get audio stuttering then your problem is probably not under volt related. If you do not get audio stuttering during this test then I guess you are under volting too much. What sort of stability testing have you done to prove that your under volt is stable? Did you do both full load and partial load testing? Both are equally important.

Try scrolling up to my previous post. There is some info there. It is not too far away. The previous page also explains how to use the Notebook Review Search feature.

Bubbasqueeze likes this.
  6. ihueco

ihueco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Laptop
    CPU: i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    GPU: GTX1060 6GB
    RAM: 16GB

Hey I have multiple questions on throttlestop. First one is I have been getting some limit reasons, mostly when I turn on my laptop/open it from sleep. I get PL1 and BD PROCHOT under CORE and EDP OTHER under RING. Since I am not getting them while actually using the laptop I guess it is not that worrying, but I still want to know if there is an explanation and if I should try to get it to not appear.
    [​IMG]

Second one is regarding to speedsfhit. I have it set to it's default 128 since I don't know how to properly configure it and test it to get the better results. I just know it is better to have it enabled. However, I do see that under the TPL window there is another Speedshift already checked and a Min and Max boxes. The Min 1 and Max 38 are the deafult as well. Should I increase the range to max or even to include 128?
    [​IMG]

Last, I am also using Throttlestop to undervolt. Is it safe to undervolt every option(including iGPU Unslice and System Agent)? Also which of them should I be undervolting together with the same values? I have read some guides on this, but they are only undervolting CPU Core, Cache and iGPU. However, on this guide I have seen some people also undervolting Unslice and System Agent.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    pressing likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Micro$crewup destroy everything they touch. OS or own hardware doesn't matter. This mess will throttle whatever firmware they throw out for their thin jokes.

Surface Pro 6 And Surface Book 2 Are Throttling To 400MHz, Microsoft Working On A Fix Tomshardware.com | Today
    upload_2019-8-16_1-35-3.png

Btw. See also my post with link to "Drivers from Over 40 Manufacturers Including Intel, NVIDIA, AMD Vulnerable to Privilege Escalation Malware Attacks" http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ts-and-incidents.816109/page-24#post-10940645

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    tilleroftheearth and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting that @Papusan
    Nice to see ThrottleStop get some recognition from some of the main stream computer media sources for a change. Most of them tend to keep quiet so Dell does not cut off their ad revenue stream. As for Tom's Hardware, after racking up 18,860 Trophy points, they demoted me to Guest and banned me from answering people's questions there anymore. Sad. :(

[​IMG]

@ihueco - I think I answered most of your questions on a different forum somewhere today. I think it was reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/cqdw4v/throttlestop_limit_reasons_meanings/

The max multiplier for a 7700HQ is 38. That is what the Turbo Power Limits - Speed Shift Max and range are referring to. Setting Min to 1 and Max to 38 seems appropriate. You could set this to a maximum of 255 but it is not going to change anything if the maximum multiplier your CPU supports is only 38. Any Max number from 38 to 255 should give you the same results.

Usually the Intel GPU and iGPU Unslice voltages are linked so to accomplish anything, you should be adjusting these equally. Best way to find out if this is true or not is to do some testing. Most enthusiasts are not using the iGPU for gaming so I have not done any iGPU testing. You have an Nvidia GPU so when gaming, the iGPU is probably not active. Lowering the iGPU voltage might save very little and could lead to instability.

9. ihueco

ihueco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Just saw the reddit. Thank you for the reply it was pretty clear. How about the System Agent? Should I care to undervolt that or just ignore it as well?

10. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A qustion.
    What are the values you set when going on battery with i7-9750h? What should be the difference between battery and usual mode? Are the values equal to ones when plugger are safe? Or I should set lower values?

Also, about the modes in throttlestop. Is there any difference between them (Performance/Gaming/Internet/Battery)? Or these are just names?