The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Elliot Levine

Elliot Levine Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed throttlestop the other day, and am trying to uninstall it. Does anyone know if there is a way to uninstall the program completely? I can not find it in the app add/remove section of windows 10?

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It’s an portable app. Look where you put(unpacked) the ThrottleStop folder. Or just search after it.

3. Elliot Levine

Elliot Levine Newbie

Reputations:

So if I just delete the folder that contains the application files it will be deleted? I did not want to do something like that Incase it left behind some registry changes or things like that?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yees (ThrottleStop is an portable app). If ThrotteStop run then exit. Then go where you have the TS folder and delete it. Re-start the OS. But why wouldn’t you have TS?

5. Samchanchan11

Samchanchan11 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is there an intermediate guide on throttlestop? xD. I looked around, but it seems most guides out there that I can find are for TS's basic functions. I have questions like, according to most guides we should match CPU Core and CPU Cache but I've seen people that hit their ceiling at CPU cache undervolt, but keep going at CPU core. Is there a percentage range that they needed to be within one another, or I can keep undervolting the CPU as long as it has enough power to reach max FID?

I tried reading up this thread but... yeah, 1000+ pages lol.. is there a search function within a thread?

6. Outrager

Outrager Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an i7-8750H which has a 45W TDP.

On the Turbo Boost Long Power Max I have it set to 55. I believe 55 was the default. When running a benchmark like Prime 95 or Cinebench the Package Power goes up to 55 whole sustaining the turbo speed of ~3.85GHz. Temps are around 80°C.

Is this bad for the CPU Package Power to exceed the TDP? Should I set the Turbo Boost Long Power Max back down to 45?

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No one with a desktop CPU would ever worry about this. Same goes for a mobile CPU. As long as your CPU is not over heating, everything is fine. The Intel specified thermal throttling temperature is a peak core temperature of 100°C. Most laptop manufacturers lower this a few degrees to prevent a user from even hitting that number. Look on the main screen of ThrottleStop for a temperature number to the right of where it says PROCHOT. This is the thermal throttling temperature that your laptop has been set to. It is probably less than 100°C when according to Intel, it really does not need to be.

If you are only at 80°C when the package power is set to 55 Watts then I would bump it up a little more to 60 Watts to avoid any power limit throttling. If you are setting this laptop up for your granny and you are afraid that she might burn her lap, OK, in that case, leave it at 55 Watts. Over 1000 pages in this thread of people using ThrottleStop to get the most out of their CPUs and it is very rare to hear about any CPU causalities.

Top right corner has a search box. Once you click in that box, there will be some additional options to narrow your search down. Here is an example of how to search for EDP Other.

[​IMG]

Over the years I have commented on pretty much everything so including my user name in your search might get you the info you are looking for faster. Under volting of the core and cache different amounts was just discussed on the previous page. You don't need to use the search function to find that info. When under volting the core more than the cache, do some thorough testing and prove to yourself that this adjustment is actually doing something beneficial. Too many people watch and follow YouTube videos without doing any proper testing to back up what they have just watched.

Samchanchan11 likes this.
  8. Outrager

Outrager Newbie

Reputations:
    Cool thanks. I think I'll tweak some things tonight when I get off work. I was actually okay with the performance before tweaking but was wondering why people were getting 3000+ on Cinebench R20 when I got 2200. Finally set something I can't remember that let it stay Turbo'd more than a second.

When I get home I'm going to do a few things I read about at work like making sure idle uses no CPU %.

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    When Cinebench is running, open up Limit Reasons and watch for any boxes turning red which indicate that throttling is in progress. Also watch the ThrottleStop CPU multiplier. As long as you are not overheating, you should be able to maintain a steady 39.00 multiplier on an 8750H for the entire benchmark.

10. Outrager

Outrager Newbie

Reputations:
    When I did it yesterday I got the red PL1 to stop appearing but EDP Other in yellow seems to stick around. Is there a good way to diagnose that or is it safe to ignore?

Also, if PL1 or PL2 does show up, is it just saying you're throttling down? And there's no real damage to the system?