The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for being not active.. my situation doesn't allow me to be active any more but... I found a time to provide an updated DPTF fix.. since Intel updated the drivers for Intel DPTF and they even renamed it to [Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning Settings] so I would like to provide & notify an updated fix for this updated driver :) look at my signature or to quoted message... both has been updated ;)

Link for the updated Intel DPTF driver:-

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Version 8.6.10400.9366 WHQL

https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...tory&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=4113&lang=en

Enjoy :cool:

pressing, 4W4K3 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I apologize if this is off-topic but I wanted to follow up with an answer to a question I posed a few days ago about losing core and package c-states in Windows.

I ended up clean installing Windows and it DID NOT fix the issue. So it was not a Reigstry change problem.

I then removed all overclocking in BIOS (memory) which also did not fix anything.

I then set my entire to default and clear CMOS.

That fixed it!!! I have all working C-states C3, C6, and C7 again. Additionally idle temps are MUCH lower.

So, I wasted a lot of time and effort with Windows when I should have just reset BIOS. For whatever reason, it had locked the CPU into C0 and was idling around 8W! Back down to less than 1W now if I close Chrome. Overclocking re-applied, but if this happens again I am going to consider backing off on the memory a bit.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. Er0ck

Er0ck Newbie

Reputations:

Glad you got it fixed man! I thought it might be bios related, though totally wasn't expecting that one!

4W4K3 likes this.
  4. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Kicking myself for not trying the Bios reset first. I think because I wasn’t having any errors, or crashes, or performance loss other than a bad idle (too much power draw and locked/disabled c-states) I thought it had to be a Windows power scheme setting. Turn out, once again, I was wrong! I’m glad it’s acting right again!

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. magnetoeric

magnetoeric Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you please explain what you meant by setting entire to default and clearing CMOS? I've been facing similar issue where package c state doesn't enter c7 and idle power usage is >3w on my acer nitro 5 after clean install of windows 1903. I am using OEM's drivers too, but still facing this :(

6. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    The BIOS defaults can be set within the BIOS menu. Clearing the CMOS is accomplished by physically removing the watch-style battery on the motherboard for 20-30 seconds. I also remove the battery during this process. Clear CMOS and setting s BIOS defaults are technically different procedures to accomplish roughly the same thing.

magnetoeric likes this.
  7. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    upload_2019-8-4_8-34-11.png

Was just playing around with my BIOS settings and enabled S0 Low Power Idle (InstantGo/Connected standby)

And here are my C9 residency screenshot - 91.4% C9 with a package power consumption of 0.166 Watts on my m3-7Y30. Entire system consumption (this is with display off) is 0.6-0.8W.

Unfortunately in S0 low power idle these monitoring software don't run properly. As far as I know programs are simply suspended. That's why I couldn't get TS screenshots in time.

I'm still scratching my head as to why my laptop won't enter C9 when the display is powered off.

pressing likes this.
  8. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A question. I have a new machine with i7-9750h.
    Undervolting with throttlestop was able to get it to max turbo boost under stress test, without altering temperatures, however, after that, undervolting has literally no effect on performance and temperatures.
    Temperatures don't go down, and performance still stays stable, at least according to benchmarks. Aroud 180mV on Core undervolt gives me optimal performance, and I was able to go as low as -250mV on core without performance drops. (at least in benchmarks). I didn't try to go beyond that...
    However, I still do not understand why there is no effect on temps - any ideas?
    In case it matters something, I am using Y740 from lenovo.

9. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    A likely indication you're reaching the limit for the heatsink/TDP design of that chassis (Y740). The cooling solution for that model seems adequate, but not exceptional. The 9750H is a hot chip like the 8750H and really benefits from a big cooler and lots of airflow. The Y740 has only 3 heatpipes, one of which is shared between CPU/GPU. Under load for an extended time, you're likely going to see some heat soak. Have you looked into replacing the thermal paste with a better material? This usually is good for a few degree difference over most factory paste.

10. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have not, as my unit is still under return / exchange period. Also, repasting myself might result in losing the warranty...
    Do 15 inch and 17 inch have same cooling system? I admit, I haven't treid opening it myself (again: warranty).
    I've compared my temperatures to the ones other people were getting and they are better by few degrees. Could by thermal paste, I guess.