The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Cihancan

Cihancan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes i tried Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature it didnt work either

2. Robgeta

Robgeta Newbie

Reputations:
    pressing and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    If that is the case, you are pretty much screwed unless you can come up with a modified bios. Even with a modified bios, there is still no guarantee. Let me know if you get this working.

I have never run ThrottleStop on a Core m3-7Y30. ThrottleStop supports a lot of different CPUs that I do not have and have never had access to. It would be nice if I had one of everything that Intel has ever built but my house and my wallet is not big enough for that. I do not know what ThrottleStop features are available on that processor. Your best bet is to go to a GPD specific forum and see if someone with your exact same CPU would be willing to share his ThrottleStop.INI configuration file with you. Copy his configuration file into your ThrottleStop folder and then start ThrottleStop and see what happens.

I have no plans at the moment to do any more ThrottleStop development. I always have some ideas and I have even considered writing a completely new version that is more logically laid out. I do not have enough time for what I would like to do so this project has been sitting idle for a while now.

Vasudev, ole!!!, 4W4K3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    too good of a software to let it stay idle. try start fund raise and see how many people are interested, especially with all the new CPUs from AMD/Intel you maybe surprised to see how many would love to use throttlestop over XTU or ryzen master.

make this software worth your time again!

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I also have the GPD Win 2 and use Throttlestop on it (thanks @unclewebb!)

In your case I believe you were wanting keyboard accessibility functions within the TS program, which I am sorry that I don't have any good solution for, however there is also another issue that effects anyone trying to use TS on the device.

The issue looks like it's strictly resolution, due to the limited 1280x720 screen you can't see even access the bottom buttons in some windows due to the taskbar being in the way. The simple solution I came up with is to move the taskbar off to one side or the other and voila you can see and click the buttons now! You can either leave it this was all of the time or just move it, make your change, and move it back. The latter is what I do since once it's setup I really don't need to mess with it anymore.

I have not done much tweaking in TS with that CPU, I just put an undervolt on it to help reduce temps and fan noise. I think mine is currently sitting at -75mv. I use my GPD Win 2 strictly for gaming on the go (at lunch at work so I don't have to haul my laptop to work everyday).

@Robgeta you are welcome to a copy of my INI file if that will help out. I might need to make you a few of them with various undervolts so you can find one that works. PM my if I can help in any way.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As a quick aside, you can always hold SHIFT and RIGHT CLICK the Throttle Stop taskbar window button then PRESS "M" (for move) on your keyboard, then use the ARROW KEYS to adjust the window position to a position that wouldn't normally be possible doing it visually and using the mouse pointer, and finally press ENTER to "let go" of moving the window around with your arrow keys.

4W4K3 and Porter like this.
  7. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I just bought my first gaming laptop ever and am having some issues. I have a Powerspec 1520. I ran cinebench the other day without making any modifications and scored around a 2500. Today I replaced the thermal paste and added another RAM drive - when I tested cinebench again I scored an 1800. I opened throttlestop and undervolted both the core and cache and got a 2300. Then I noticed throttlestop telling me I'm throttling both at idle and when I run cinebench…. what do I do?

I also just restarted my computer to install some updates, now there's also a "PL1" yellow icon under "core" for the limit reasons in addition to "EDP other" flashing yellow and red under the core and ring.

Idle.jpg Idle.jpg Cine.jpg Throttle.jpg

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
  9. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    upload_2019-6-26_8-32-15.png
    I think he means the above
    I am at 1080p but with 150% scaling so my resolution is effectively 1280x720.

Essentially for the C state, Options, and FIVR windows the bottom buttons (Apply, OK, Close, Cancel etc) are entirely hidden and cannot be accessed.
    @Maleko48 's method does not work because Windows automatically snaps back. Though thank you, I learn something new today. Instead dragging the side of the window (not in the grey sub-boxes) works.

It entirely is not an issue, since TS is just a set and forget program. If I want to change any setting, I just temporarily change my scaling. Or, I can just drag any part of the side of the window.

@unclewebb Just a BTW, almost all features that were present in my 8250U are available and working on my m3-7Y30. TPL/PP0 Limits change, TDP control works (though I override it with my BIOS), undervolting, ICCmax, Turbo Limits etc all work. Even Disable and Lock Power Limits work:
    upload_2019-6-26_8-41-14.png

Obviously it is reliant whether the BIOS has locked these but it goes to show that TS works fine.

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Che0063 - Thanks for the feedback.

One TS feature that I have always liked is that the entire user interface is a title bar. You can left click on any open space, on any user interface, hold it down, and drag the window anywhere you like. This will allow you to see the buttons at the bottom or see whatever you need to see.

In this example, I grabbed ThrottleStop by the lower edge and moved it up to the top of the screen for easy access to the buttons.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Vasudev, Papusan, Porter and 2 others like this.