The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you're using Lenovo Idea/Thinkpads remove their Lenovo Power Gauge app or something. It sucks more battery in background. Unpinning from taskbar tray icon will work too.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    After a clean install of Windows, I avoid installing any manufacturer specific apps. Some users are forced to install junk ware to get control of their fans but I do not have any problems like that. Windows 10 automatically took care of most of the drivers so the reinstall was as painless as possible.

This laptop does not like being restarted by using an external USB keyboard. Other than that, everything else is OK.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. imrazor

imrazor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've used Throttlestop to great effect on a 2017 Macbook Air, giving a significant performance boost by undervolting and keeping temps low. However, I am unable to duplicate that success on an older Dell Latitude E6430. The CPU in question is an Ivy Bridge i7-3720qm, whereas the Macbook Air had an i7-5650u.

In Throttlestop on the Dell, there is no "FIVR" button where I can adjust voltages. Instead I see TRL and TPL where the FIVR button was, and no option to lower voltages. Am I missing something, or is it because this CPU is older than the one in the Macbook?

EDIT: Did some additional research and found the answer on another forum. Apparently the FIVR was introduced with Haswell, one generation after my laptop CPU. So it is too old. Too bad, because this smoking hot Dell hits 104C under load.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    unclewebb and Vasudev like this.
  5. AwesomeMarioFan

AwesomeMarioFan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I have an Intel E3-1280 v3 (Haswell) CPU, and I used ThrottleStop to lock all cores at the maximum turbo speed, which is working great. When loading all 8 threads however the CPU was downclocking 100Mhz, which I fixed by increasing the PP0 Current Limit from its default 95 amps to 100. (I was getting the "EDP Current" limit.)

Running Cinebench and Dolphin Emulator however still cause the CPU to downclock some or all cores to stock clock speed with the same "EDP Current" limit displayed, which I believe is because they use AVX2 instructions. I wanted to try increasing the PP0 Current Limit a bit more, but wasn't sure what a safe range of values would be for it. Could I cause damage to the CPU going too high?

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Just a power limits. No damage will occur so just increase it. Only too high voltage/100C over prolonged time ain't so healthy for the chips:)

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Go for it! Desktop Haswell processors with unlocked multipliers can run comfortably at 4.5 GHz and beyond without any throttling. Most decent motherboards automatically set the PP0 Current Limit sky high so it does not impede overclocking. I would recommend doing the same.

Can you post a screenshot of the FIVR window? Do these Xeons support limited overclocking of +4 bins?
    Words of wisdom.

8. AwesomeMarioFan

AwesomeMarioFan Newbie

Reputations:
    Here are both the FIVR and TPL windows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Actually the Haswell Xeons do not support the +4 bin overclock unfortunately. But, if the microcode is downgraded via a BIOS mod to version 0x7 or lower, you can lock the all core turbo frequency to the maximum. I had to increase the current limit by 5 amps to avoid all the cores downclocking to 3.9Ghz however during the TS Bench test.

When running programs that use AVX2 instructions though, I still see cores being downclocked to the base clock speed (3.6Ghz) and the limit "EDP Current" being displayed in red (it will also appear in yellow if I just use the computer for a bit, although the clock speed remains ~4Ghz). Even increasing the current limit to 200 amps didn't change this though, so would there be another option I should look into? (If it helps any, after using the computer for a while I see PL 1 and PL 2 pop up as well but I've never seen them in red.)

Also an odd thing I noticed - after restarting my computer the PP0 Current Limit is locked. If I put it into sleep mode though and wake it up again, I notice that it unlocks and I am able to increase it (shown in the window above). Is there a reason for this?

9. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I realise today, that when i'm on battery, throttlestop recognize it, and switch to Battery profil/mode (i rarely use my pc on battery 98% of my usage on AC ).

Is there a difference between performance / gaming / Battery mode in throttlestop ? When people use power profil in windows or throttlestop recognize it too ? ( The 3rd profil is my stock stat ).

Edit : got my answer, read again 1st page, sry for this... xD

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @unclewebb with AMD's new cpu might eventually make its way into mobile cpu in next few yrs, any plans for TS to support AMD as well?