The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the same error reporting in powercfg test. Combing through the DM settings it definitely looks like the USB can power down and has various power states. Not sure if the Intel driver sees each setting, or if that's even how it works.

One feature of this laptop (Acer Nitro 5) is USB Power even while OFF. It charges devices like iPhones even when powered down. Could this be the reason? I'm sure I can disable it and try the test again.[/USER]

Attached Files:

Vasudev likes this.
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @4W4K3 - Do you have the same problem with your CPU using fewer package C states after you resume from sleep? I know this is not just a Dell problem. Any issues like this are rarely reported. People just assume, "that is how it is". Oh well.
    That might be part of the problem. There is no Intel driver. Only the default one from Microsoft.
    My 4th Gen has that feature too. There is a setting in the bios so I can toggle this feature on or off. I think I already tested this but it did not make any difference. I might go try testing this one more time. If I had a dollar for every time I rebooted during the last week, I would be rich.

Vasudev and 4W4K3 like this.
  3. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I think so. Part of the issue for me is Optimus doesn't 'disable' to dGpu until after a reboot when switching to battery power. Its just stays on but idle. So its not getting past C3. After reboot, C6, 7, & 8 are accessible.

4. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I re-ran the test and did not get the errors again. I did not change the USB charge on Off setting.

After a normal reboot, I selected Battery pofile in TS, unlpugged my AC adapter, changed battery icon to "Max battery", and re-ran the test. The difference was the dGPU was OFF (reporting 0 temperature) instead of idle because of the initial reboot. I'm not sure what would trigger the dGPU to go from idle to off on battery, other than a reboot. It's set to 'Optimal Power" in nvidia CP.
    Hopefully not too off the original topic.

Attached Files:

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you're using Lenovo Idea/Thinkpads remove their Lenovo Power Gauge app or something. It sucks more battery in background. Unpinning from taskbar tray icon will work too.

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    After a clean install of Windows, I avoid installing any manufacturer specific apps. Some users are forced to install junk ware to get control of their fans but I do not have any problems like that. Windows 10 automatically took care of most of the drivers so the reinstall was as painless as possible.

This laptop does not like being restarted by using an external USB keyboard. Other than that, everything else is OK.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  7. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. imrazor

imrazor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've used Throttlestop to great effect on a 2017 Macbook Air, giving a significant performance boost by undervolting and keeping temps low. However, I am unable to duplicate that success on an older Dell Latitude E6430. The CPU in question is an Ivy Bridge i7-3720qm, whereas the Macbook Air had an i7-5650u.

In Throttlestop on the Dell, there is no "FIVR" button where I can adjust voltages. Instead I see TRL and TPL where the FIVR button was, and no option to lower voltages. Am I missing something, or is it because this CPU is older than the one in the Macbook?

EDIT: Did some additional research and found the answer on another forum. Apparently the FIVR was introduced with Haswell, one generation after my laptop CPU. So it is too old. Too bad, because this smoking hot Dell hits 104C under load.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    unclewebb and Vasudev like this.
  9. AwesomeMarioFan

AwesomeMarioFan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I have an Intel E3-1280 v3 (Haswell) CPU, and I used ThrottleStop to lock all cores at the maximum turbo speed, which is working great. When loading all 8 threads however the CPU was downclocking 100Mhz, which I fixed by increasing the PP0 Current Limit from its default 95 amps to 100. (I was getting the "EDP Current" limit.)

Running Cinebench and Dolphin Emulator however still cause the CPU to downclock some or all cores to stock clock speed with the same "EDP Current" limit displayed, which I believe is because they use AVX2 instructions. I wanted to try increasing the PP0 Current Limit a bit more, but wasn't sure what a safe range of values would be for it. Could I cause damage to the CPU going too high?

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Just a power limits. No damage will occur so just increase it. Only too high voltage/100C over prolonged time ain't so healthy for the chips:)