The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think 80-85C is fine on stock fan curve on XPS. If you can increase it, then temps will be 10C below your current reading because high speed fans will push hot air out of the system.

2. pantezuma

pantezuma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey! I made it work.
    But now I have two different problems.

1) Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits only seems to work after Sleep. It won't work after cold boot or restart. Really strange...

2) My laptop Lenovo e490s (I7-8565u) seems to throttle the CPU at 80°C. In TS Bench I can just reach 18W before it starts throttling so I can't even dream on reaching the numbers on your screenshot.

Do you have any ideas or info on those two subjects?
    Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  3. jar3259

jar3259 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb The registry value was normal and at idle the only thing I had running aside for normal Windows processes was Backblaze, a backup service. I turned that off, but the C0% did not change. There are over 100 background processes running in task manager details, but they all look to be Windows processes, and about half are svchost.exe.

I have turned off Clock Modulation and turned on BD PROCHOT.

4. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [QUOTE="unclewebb, post: 10908932, member: 296710" In Windows 10 -1809, I am still having a problem where package C3 and package C6 are not available after I resume from sleep. They both work fine after I initially start up. There must be a bad driver or something, somewhere. Lots of good C state tips in that link should help me track this bug down. I am back to blaming Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

C states can also be caused by a seemingly unrelated cause. For example, disabling write caching on my SSD causes my m3-7Y30 to limit itself to Package C2 state, instead of the C8 state. It will dip into C8 for about 1 second every 5 seconds or so, but it uses 0.8W during C2 instead of 0.4W in C8 state. Massive battery saving potential.

upload_2019-5-12_18-4-11.png

For me, disabling/enabling the page file also reduces/increases C State package residency. I can't remember which one it was but I honestly can't imagine any relation between the two.

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Page file? I don't think so! I disabled System Restore and was able to hit lower C states more regularly. I think Page file must be set to fixed value.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  6. geust123455

geust123455 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What number should I input for PP0 Current Limit for maximum performance?

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You did not include any relevant information in your post. No screenshots, no laptop or CPU model number info, no nothing. When you go see a dentist, do you hold your mouth tightly closed and then try to get him to guess what the problem might be? Definitely not a good idea, especially if he charges by the hour.

Do you have any specific throttling problem that you are trying to correct? Are you talking about the popular 8750H? Many laptops do not use the PP0 Current Limit setting so you might see that it is set to 0. If your laptop uses this setting, crank it up to 200 or so and see if that makes any difference. Your CPU is only going to draw as many amps as it needs. Setting this sky high will prevent throttling. Your laptop will not have a nuclear melt down if it is too high. Too high is definitely better than setting this too low.

geust123455, Papusan and joluke like this.
  8. geust123455

Reputations:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's a 8750H. I have disabled most C states with the registry trick and I ran 10 consecutive cinebench R15 runs resulting with a score of 1276 and no throttling on the clocks. But Throttlestop still reports throttling in the throttling tab(yellow) as in the image linked. Also, what changes must I make to the settings for maximum performance?

4W4K3 likes this.
  9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    This "trick" does not allow your CPU to use the 40 or 41 multiplier anymore. Result: power consumption is up, core temperatures are up and performance is down. For your Turbo Ratio Limits, you might as well set them all to 39 or set them to their default values; 41, 41, 40, 40, 39, 39.

The Set Multiplier option is not used when Speed Shift is enabled. When you see SST in green on the main TS window, do not check the Set Multiplier option. There is also no need to check the Clock Modulation option unless you have evidence that your computer is using this type of throttling. Run a TS Log File and check the CMOD column. Are there any numbers less than 100.0 when Clock Modulation is not checked?

PL1 refers to the Turbo Boost Long Power Max which you have set to 69. Why not bump both turbo power limits up to 80 or 100 and see if that makes PL1 go away. Remember to click on the individual headings in Limit Reasons before you start any testing. This resets the throttling flags that are stored within the CPU. EDP OTHER on RING is likely being caused by PL1. The two are linked. When PL1 lights up, EDP OTHER - RING usually also lights up. Increase your power limits and this will probably go away.

Run a TS Log File while Cinebench is running. If there is even a tiny amount of throttling, it almost always shows up as a slightly reduced multiplier when the CPU is loaded. Easier to see this in a log file than trying to keep an eagle eye on TS. In the Options window you should also use the Add Limit Reasons to Log File option.

People hitting over 1300 in Cinebench with the 8750H are typically running better than average memory and definitely in dual channel. What does CPU-Z show for your memory and timings?

Bob of All Trades (YouTube) likes to set the CPU Core voltage offset lower than the Cache. Not sure why but on the recent 9750H he was testing, this does seem to make a difference. Maybe it is just tricking the CPU.

Edit - He was using (-250mV core and -125mV cache).

Try adjusting this while the CPU is loaded and see if there is any difference in terms of heat, power consumption or CPU speed.

Thanks for posting lots of pics. It is so much easier than me having to ask the same questions over and over again.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  10. geust123455

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I increased the power limits and the limit reasons are still there. They only appear at windows boot-up, and once reset they never show up again even after stress testing. Everything looked fine in the log file during cinebench and a couple of games. -250mV on the cache and -125mV on the core resulted in a system hang so I went back to my old setup but bumped the undervolt to -144 on both and got to 1284 on cinebench. Thank you so much for answering so far. :)