The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried some of your advice and so far am pleased. I was not seeing C6 even on battery power. So I started closing applications and uninstalling a few things to fix it. Namely, Windows Defender and Intel Rapid Storage Tech driver. After configuring my Group Policy to disable Defender permanently, I switched to Kaspersky Free. Seems a lot smaller, with less background services.

I also stopped using 'High Performance' power plan, and moved to 'Balanced' on battery. That , combined with the above changes, and moving the battery profile slider to "Max Battery" allows C2, C3, C6, C7, & even C8 to be active on my Acer Nitro 5. Very happy, as I am seeing as low as 0.5W power usage on 'Battery' profile and 45W on 'Performance' (if I run stock voltage).

My next test is thermal graphite pads, which are in the mail. No more pastes for me if the pads are decent.

EDIT - This was with dGPU idle, WiFi on, BT on, no USB accessories, screen dimmed maximum. Important to note that as soon as the dGPU wakes up, C3 is as deep as it will go. So, there is some procedure in closing apps to let the hardware 'sleep'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can use speedshift values for fine-grain tuning of CPU power consumption. 0-80 : Aggressive clocks 128: Balanced and anything above 180 is battery saver.

4W4K3 likes this.
  3. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I cannot find the about section. Apparently its Windows Security now :0

4. Vasudev

Reputations:
  5. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have my 'Performance' profile set to EPP value 0, and my Battery profile set to EPP value '128'. Within Windows, if I maximize the battery savings it auto dims the screen and puts a little green leaf over the battery icon in the Taskbar which is cute. Previously, I wasn't aware I could use both TS and Windows to enable/disable some power options.

7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I think battery saver is turned on regardless of battery charge thresholds. You can disable that to turn ON to 20% battery which will get rid off auto dimming.

This is my engine version on W10 v1903 upload_2019-5-9_11-41-10.png

8. geust123455

geust123455 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyway to disable all C states except for C3 in order to retain Turbo Boost?

9. geust123455

geust123455 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also when disabling all C states with the registry change I get a driver error in Device Manager under Processors reading:"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)". That error only manifests when disabling all C states with the registry trick from the guide. Why does that error show up and is it safe to ignore?

10. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.