The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I also received this error:
    https://imgur.com/lhG0bMu

My OS version 1809 and build is 17763.475

And you are right, only disable and lock power limits is not working, which originally solved my battery throttling problem.

I have checked and my memory integrity is off:

https://imgur.com/A75Z5Dk

Now what do I do?

fresh reinstall of TS?

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Tried running TS with highest privilege aka Admin privilege?

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Today I did a clean install of Windows 10 - 1809 - 17763.253 which I downloaded from TechPowerUp.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/download-windows-10-th-rs.216164/

After it was installed, I ran Windows Update and now I am running the same version as you, 17763.475. ThrottleStop is working OK for me, including the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. I usually install the free version of Avast but so far I am still depending on Windows Defender to save me.

What antivirus program are you using? The problem I have had with Windows Defender in the past is that a program that runs fine one day might be silently black listed another day. The program will never run again with zero explanation from Defender. If you really need the Disable and Lock ThrottleStop feature, try installing a different antivirus program.

I installed Windows 10 for a second time because I was trying to find the missing package C states. Not sure where they were hiding but the low power package C6 state has been found.

The only thing that I did differently today was I did not install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and I did not install Samsung Magician. Not sure if one of these programs or some other driver was nuking the package C states before. Now I have over 90% in package C6. Package C7 was never supported on this 4th Gen mobile CPU so that is as good as it gets.

[​IMG]

4. pantezuma

pantezuma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi! I tried Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits to try to bypass 15w and take it to 20w TPL but can't make it work.
    I don't receive any error while installing driver or anything.
    Does it work on I7 8565u?
    I read a lot of confusing info (at least to me) regarding this feature and CPUs supported.
    Thanks in advance!

5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @pantezuma - Your i7-8565U is supported but whether or not the Disable and Lock feature can unlock your CPU depends on what features the motherboard manufacturer has left open. After you selected this option, did you also increase the Turbo Boost Long and Short Power Limits in the TPL window? With those limits increased, try running the TS Bench to load your CPU. While your CPU is loaded, open up the Limit Reasons window and see if anything is turning red in there. Post a few screenshots so I have something to look at.

The Disable and Lock feature is helping a very similar 8550U run at more than double its rated TDP. This is on a Lenovo thin and light laptop. Only inadequate cooling is holding it back. Thermal throttling has just begun as confirmed by the check mark in the PROCHOT box.

[​IMG]

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  6. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is the first time I use ThrottleStop. I have been reading some documentation here and there and watching some videos in YT about it. I have been playing around with the application and I think I got the hang of it more or less.
    I just have a question regarding the "overclock" checkbox that's under the groupbox "Turbo Ration Limits" in the FIVR window. What does it exactly do? The value beside it reads "80" and can't be changed, I have a 9900K processor. Sorry if this has been answered before, I did some search and didn't find anything about it.

By the way, great tool, I think it's much better and lightweight than XTU. Thank you very much @unclewebb for all your hard work here.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  7. pantezuma

pantezuma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply.
    The laptop is a Lenovo e490s.
    I guess I did everything you said.
    It's incredible how your laptop non power throttled is working 44% faster than mine for multi threaded tests.
    Take a look at the screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/UQ1hZi9

The limit reasons window says PL1 for Core and EDP Other for Ring.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  8. Joe_233

Joe_233 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again!

My last laptop CPU (i5-8300h) undervolted nicely. Unfortunately the rest of the unit didn’t perform as it should (thanks Dell!) so I now have another laptop and a whole new set of undervolting questions, sorry.

My new Acer Helios 300 PH315-51 i7-8750h power throttles even at its maximum stable undervolt of -0.1504mV core/cache. For the Core, under limit reasons, I get PL2 throttling during the short power limit (56w) and PL1 throttling thereafter at the long power limit (45w). I also get Ring EDP other at idle and during power throttling.

I think the power limits are locked by Acer for this chip but if anyone has any advice for reducing power limit throttling it would certainly be appreciated.

As for Ring EDP Other, what is it? And can I do anything about it?It seems like the power throttling is the problem so should I even be concerned by the EDP Other?

Thanks again.

Ps. Quite drunk local homeless man enjoyed his fish supper.

9. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I do have the Widnows defender running only. I'll shift to avast then. but the windows defender settings will stay? Do still need to do a fresh install of both? Thanks for the replies man! you are more than appreciated.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Tell me which engine version are you using? Check About section of WD.
    WD doesn't flag TS as malware or its dlls as malware.