The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had thought (because I read it here) that, for my 6700HQ, I needed to set cache and core undervolts to the same value in order to have the undervolt recognized. However, I just tried it, and it seems I can shift either core or cache independently and have the voltage change recognized (at least for the voltages reflected in TS). I am not sure if it is possible to verify the voltages with another program, e.g. HWInfo. It would seem that more playing is in order. Will let you know if I learn anything.
    Best,

Joe

Later - I returned all voltages to default and ran a long TSBench. Pkg power went back up to 47 range, and temps to ~89-90. VID on TS main page was in 1.3 range. Dropping core only by 148 mv did not reduce power or temps - and VID on main screen remained same. Reducing core and cache by 148 mv and all else by 80 dropped power use to 34 watt range, and temps to high 60's. VID was down on main TS pge. My conclusion is that, even though you can set volts independently with TS, the decrease is not implemented unless core and cache are both decreased.

Best,

Joe

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Mr.K-1994 likes this.
  2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Doing a little digging, it seems that Intel XTU is unable to apply the undervolt unless the core and cache are set equally. ThrottleStop does not have this restriction, but since it was best practice with XTU I think a lot of TS users followed suit. 8750H users in particular seem to be winning with the staggered undervolt. I've been testing it on my 7300HQ but have inconclusive results thus far. I find I can run hours of benchmarks, but certain games will crash. So, I tend to have to run absolutely everything before I can determine stability.

Mr.K-1994 likes this.
  3. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/4YgL3tq

Hey, guys, I am getting this error right after the windows update. any FIVR settings are not sticking because of this. my system is throttling again on battery at random times, which I was able to solve with TS. Running the i78750H

How do I solve this?

@unclewebb

4. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are using the latest version of TS? How about uninstalling that particular update?

5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    What update? Be a little more specific. Post your Windows version and build number. Open up a command window and post that number.

If the FIVR window opens up, everything in there should work except for the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. If this is causing problems, try disabling the Windows memory integrity check.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1005#post-10896646

Mr.K-1994 likes this.
  6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I just recently got a small upgrade. To Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.475) Win10x64Pro.

No issues with TS. :)

Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, same here. ThrottleStop have worked flawlessly with all Windows 10 versions and builds:)

tilleroftheearth and joluke like this.
  8. jar3259

jar3259 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unclewebb, my C State tab shows 0.0 in every category and on the main screen I have only ever seen C0% with anything else than 0.0. Do you know why this is? Even after a little research I am not entirely sure what they represent, other than that I have seen people say that they should not all be 0.0. Thanks
    Dell XPS 15 9560

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @jar3259 - When your computer is idle, open up the C States window and post a screenshot that includes ThrottleStop and the C States window. What version of Windows are you using? Some antivirus or other Windows 10 safety option might be preventing ThrottleStop from accessing your C state data.

When a CPU core is actively working on a task, it is in the C0 state. When it has nothing to do, it should go into the C1 state. After C1, the cores can drop down to C3, C6, C7. When all of your cores are in the same C state, then the entire CPU package can drop into the same C State. The C State data in ThrottleStop tells you what C states your CPU are using. Unless you accidentally or deliberately turned them off, they are supposed to work.

Here is how an Intel 8th Gen CPU should look when idle.

[​IMG]

Most manufacturers seem to disable package C9 and package C10 so the lowest package C state one usually sees is package C8 but even that one can be elusive. The individual cores should be spending 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. This one usually works fine but most people have a lot of useless crap running on their computers in the background that prevents the CPU cores from being idle.

If none of the C states are being used when idle, that is a problem or perhaps a blessing depending on who you are talking to. Some people who produce music prefer to have all of the C states disabled so the CPU can run at a constant speed and so it is constantly in a state where it is ready to work without any latency or hesitation.

The problem I am having with the C states is that I recently switched to Windows 10 1809. My 4th Gen CPU used to use package C6. Package C7 or lower were not available back then. With the new and improved OS, package C6 is gone and now all I see is package C3. After I do a Sleep - Resume cycle, now package C3 is gone too and the CPU can only use package C2. This reduces battery run time, it is a known problem for many laptops but so far, no one is taking any responsibility for this new "feature". This used to work fine but now it is broken. :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    joluke, pressing and 4W4K3 like this.
  10. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very interesting. My Skylake (6700 HQ) will spend lots of time in C7 at idle (97-100%); no higher sites are seen for the CPU. Package states up to C10 are displayed, but it spends idle time in C2 and C3 - C3 can get as high as 80%. C6 and higher states are always displayed as 0 for the package. I am also running version 1809 (17763.475). I thought that the higher states for the package were not implemented for my processor, but your note suggests that Win10 version may also have an effect. Of course, our friends in Redmond may not have implemented a way for us to alter it,....
    Best,

Joe