The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jar3259

jar3259 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why is it that in Throttlestop, it always says 128 next to Speed Shift - EPP? I change the min and max values in TPL and that affects my FID. Is it normal that I set min to 14 and max to 14 and my FID becomes 14? I see people here post about how 1 or 0 is the max performance, yet when I set it there my computer acts as if it is throttled. 255 min and 255 max is where I see it go to 3400 MHZ.
    (XPS 15 9560 i7-7700HQ, Intel Thermal Management is off, undervolted, turbo off, speedstep on)

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You can edit the EPP value in ThrottleStop. I guess it always says 128 because you have not changed it yet.

The values in the TPL window control the FID or multiplier. The EPP value is the one that goes from 0 to 255 with 0 being maximum performance and 255 being minimum performance. Both of these values work together. If you set the Minimum and Maximum multipliers sky high in the TPL window then the EPP value will be ignored.

Yes, that is normal. Tell me what you are trying to accomplish and I will tell you how everything should be setup.

On 8th Gen CPUs running Windows 10, I prefer to let Windows manage the EPP value as long as it is setting EPP correctly.

Why? Is this another laptop from Dell where they forgot to include an adequate heatsink and fan?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Vasudev, pressing and Papusan like this.
  3. jar3259

Reputations:
    I am confused on how to change the EPP value. I have seen some people talk about it here, but cannot see those options available on my ThrottleStop.

4. jar3259

Reputations:
  5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    On the main screen, change the EPP value from 128 to whatever you like. It really is that simple. That 128 number that you are looking at can be changed!

Papusan likes this.
  6. jar3259

Reputations:
    I cannot, I promise! There is no way for me to change that value on the main screen. I added the picture in my post above.

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    How about take your mouse, click on the 128 number and edit it. Use the Delete key on your keyboard and type a new number in there.

In the TPL window, the 7700HQ has a maximum multiplier of 38 so I would set the Speed Shift Max value to 38. I think the minimum multiplier is 8 so set the Speed Shift Min value to 8. That is how these values are supposed to be set by default.

8. jar3259

Reputations:
    Huh, I guess it was that obvious then. Thank you. Please save me my dignity and delete these posts!

pressing likes this.
  9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    You are not the only one that has had this problem so I have to take some blame for bad design. Sometimes I over simplify things. :)

Too simple can be just as confusing as too complicated.

Papusan likes this.
  10. ooples

ooples Newbie

Reputations:
    How do you disable memory integrity check? I'm logged in as the administrator but I still can't turn it off

http://prntscr.com/nekcm0

pressing likes this.