The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. michel40

michel40 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks
    3 - of course, but what voltage setting exactly? CPU core helps more that CPU cache to thermal? Cause if it's the case, it may be interesting to try different voltages. But if CPU cache gives you equel thermal gain as CPU core, the it may be useless.
    Same principal to battery gain. Does CPU core use more watt than CPU cache?

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Normally is both needed for best temp. You can of course lower cashe ratio (Cashe clock speed) for better temps. But this means you somewhat cripple the performance (Not much but still below specs). Only trial and error will confirm best results. Remember core and Cashe voltage rail is linked. Regarding wattage... Look at Cpu Package Power. This what's counts. You find it in TS main windows/Hwinfo64.

Ashtrix, michel40 and joluke like this.
  3. Tmansdc

Tmansdc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So my settings are too low as well?

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hahaha. When did you start working at the JokeBook dept. of Dell?

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    He, Fox and Johnkss are Head of Dept. for no Jokebook for life Overclocking University.

Ashtrix, 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and joluke like this.
  6. Gianlucadbl

Gianlucadbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have 3 questions if possible.
    1) if I have my main profile set to 1°, and I want to switch to 3° which is for gaming, how do I do it manually? Is it possible to do it automatically?

2) I have seen that many change the voltage of the iGPU, should it be done for better temperature management without decreasing performance?

3) if I insert an auto-switch from profiles 1° to 2° when I reach 82 ° in the CPU, and passing to the 2° profile I have very reduced statistics (turbo boost disabled, reduced core frequency, increased undervolt to the CPU), and this happens frequently during a game, can I cause damage?

Thank you!

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Here is a hint.

[​IMG]

You can also create some keyboard shortcuts if you want to switch profiles using a Hotkey. Look in the Options window for the Hotkeys button to set this up.

What many people do is not important. When gaming, are you using the iGPU? If you have an Nvidia GPU and your game is using that then changing the iGPU voltage is probably not going to accomplish very much. If you only have an iGPU then you can try undervolting the iGPU. On newer CPUs, make sure you also undervolt the iGPU Unslice equally. Do some testing on your laptop and see what works best for you.

I would not waste my time with using ThrottleStop to switch profiles based on temperature. I added this feature to keep some people happy but there is rarely a legitimate reason to use this feature. ThrottleStop does not sample your core temperature frequently enough so you will end up with sudden changes in performance, back and forth.

Why did you choose this temperature? Intel rates the majority of their CPUs to be able to run 100% reliably right up to 100°C. I prefer to just let the CPU manage itself. If it is too hot, it will automatically throttle and slow down just enough so there is not a huge drop in performance. Intel thermal throttling at the hardware level is a hundred times better than trying to use software like ThrottleStop to control the CPU temperature. Let your CPU run wild. It will thermal throttle if it needs to regardless of how you have ThrottleStop setup.

8. Gianlucadbl

Gianlucadbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thanks for the answers!

I will try to use the hotkeys.

I have a cou i7 8750h and gpu rtx 2070mq, so your advice is to make the iGPU undervolting as much as the cpu? I currently have stable results with the -130mv CPU, while the iGPU for now I tried it steadily at -50mv, do I still have to go down it?

I set 82 degrees because I was advised not to go over 85 to avoid damaging the components and reducing the life of the laptop.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

9. Damage Melody

Damage Melody Newbie

Reputations:
    hey guys,

I have GS65 8RF and I was shocked how SpeedStep works on this machine.

I tried to everything except BIOS tweaks. My problem is that it does not drop frequency to low one on IDLE. So when I open CPU-Z or other monitor and my PC is in idle (Just Skype in background) my frequency and voltage goes in circle: from lowest to highest then circle repeats. I don't see any sense in 0.7 -> 0.9 -> 1.1 -> 1.25 jumps every second without load. I tried every step selection in balanced profile, made new performance profile, tried all Dragon Center options and also deleted it and checked power profiles again. I never had any issues on Desktop PC's.

The only workaround was to disable SpeedStep and enable SpeedShift with 128 value. I know it may interfere with Windows settings for EPP but it's ok for now. I wonder if I can fix it somehow with 'C State' window. In it it has most time in C8 and C2. Package C state limit has C8 set in dropdown.

I also wonder what can I tweak in TPL window.

I have changed stuff in it but didn't notice any difference yet.
    I have Short disabled, Clamps disabled, Long enabled and set to 96, Turbo time limit is set to 96.

I also have SpeedShift checkbox and text grayed out in TPL does it mean that it will be enabled even if disabled in main window?

Thanks.

10. michel40

michel40 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I intend to resume my tries to eventually help some people, or maybe get some advice.
    I got a Gigabyte laptop Aero 15W v7 CPU 7700HQ, IGPU intel HD 630, dedicated geforce GTX 1060.
    All settings I found are safe to me. I think I'll try to push later.

Stable voltages are IGPU -60mv, IGPU unslice -60mv, system agent -60mv.

2 goals.
    On batteries, smooth desktop apps and long battery life.
    On AC power, max speed with acceptable heat.
    From what I discovered, I can undervolt CPU more on battery mode, as I use less the CPU. I suppose parked core requires fewer volts :)

Battery :
    Park control 25% to park cores
    Throttlestop Speed shift 200, disabled turbo, CPU core -125mv, CPU cache -125mv

With those voltages, I get WHEA alert while gaming.

AC power :
    Park control 100%
    Throttlestop Speed shift 80, enabled turbo, CPU core -100mv, CPU cache -100mv
    CPU goes around 90°C when playing.
    I also undervolt dedicated GPU -150mv with MSI afterburner, and got 80°C.

When I deactivate my antivirus, gigabyte control center and wifi, I go about 80% C7 package c state percent. I tried with Microsoft, gigabyte and Intel AHCI drivers. Same results. While C0% is less than 1%, I can't go to 90% C7 and don’t know why...